Detroit Lions

egrguy

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

So... Detroit won their home finale today to go to 7-8. If I knew this at the start of the year I would be satisfied with the season. Im assuming Detroit loses next week at Lambeau to go 7-9. I would have called that real progress. But after they started so good and collapsed against Arizona and NYG where they should've won and been 9-6 and a wild card contender...

• 1 month later...

Any thoughts on who the Lions are going to take in the draft? Most of the projections have them taking a corner, which would be a good choice. Of course, last year most people thought they would take Joe Thomas and they took a WR, so who knows. I would be pleased with pretty much any defensive pick since there are holes everywhere, but the secondary is clearly their most pressing need.

I would also like to see some off-season QB competition between Kitna and newcomer Drew Stanton for the starting job, but it sounds like Kitna has a a pretty good hold on that right now.

I think it was hard to pass up on Calvin Johnson at #2. When healthy I could see why he was drafted. He was the most talented of the WR picks albeit Roy Williams is playing pretty good.

I wonder if Shaun Rogers will get traded. There's been talk in Seattle of a possible 4th rounder for Rogers?

I've also seen many mock drafts having Detroit taking a CB or OL. However, with Millen in charge I can easily see him taking an RB like R. Mendanhall or J. Stewart; but as long as he stays defensive, I should be happy with the pick.

Millen has been iffy in the early rounds but if he wants to turn the team around he needs to stop wasting picks in the 2nd/3rd/4th rounds.

What about TE John Carlson, QB John Booty or Joe Flacco in the other first day picks (not in that order).

I think Johnson was an OK pick, but he wasn't what the team needed IMO. At this point, any offensive skill position taken high in the draft would be a bad choice. They need to strengthen the o-line and all of the defense, particularly the line and secondary. They just got a 2nd round QB last year. Jones should be healthy to start the season.

But with Millen in charge, they'll probably draft a running back or wideout. The only defensive #1 pick they made was a great one with Ernie Sims. They need more of that.

I agree Joe Thomas probably would have been the best choice. OT like that don't come along very often. Im not happy with Stanton as an option and really think a 2nd round pick was wasted on him last year with much more pressing needs: CB, OL, RB, and so on...

I dont have high hopes of Millen having a productive draft. I have heard it was Maranelli's desire for Ernie Sims to be taken. Maybe he will speak up more this year?

• 4 weeks later...

Well, DT Rogers is gone to Cleveland in exchange for a 3rd round pick and a fairly young CB in Leigh Bodden. Now they need at least one more good corner (they should draft Aqib Talib, sign Drayton Florence from San Deigo or sign Randall Gay from NE), a middle LB, a strong DT and/or DE, and a solid offensive lineman or two.

• 2 weeks later...

It'll be nice to not see Detroit get whooped by Brett Favre anymore.

The Lions offseason so far has been pretty lackluster. I think the Julius Jones miss could have strengthened the running game. Maybe Detroit takes a Ray Rice or Mike Hart with their 2nd/3rd round pick as they picked up a corner via trade and Id assume will take an OL with the first pick.

• 3 weeks later...

I see that Mel Kiper has Detroit taking Rashard Mendenhall with their 1st Round Pick.

Also of note, the Seattle radio shows were comparing the Knicks and the Lions as the two worst run franchises in sports. Makes me feel proud that even 2k miles from home I can still here radio announcers trash Millen for being the worst GM.

• 2 weeks later...

One week away from the draft. I have my Oberon and Lions sweatpants ready. For a Lions fan, is there anything better than the offseason??

So, who should we draft?

I've heard Mayo and Rivers (LB's), Harvey (DE), Mendenhall and Stewart (RB's), Williams/Otah/Clady (OT's), and one of the many CB's that will be out there. For the first time in many years, I don't see how they could mess this one up. I'd be content with any of those choices, though I'm particularly fond of the LB prospects.

Another thing that I can't seem to get out of my head is seeing Stanton in the preseason. I was stoked to see him play last year, but then he blew out his knee.

Also, if we don't draft a back, I'm anxious to see which backs get cut (McAllister, Alexander, Jordan come to mind) or if somebody else will step up (Brian Calhoun?).

In the first round I would like to see them take Harvey. Rivers is best as a weakside LB and we already have a great one of those (Sims), but I would still be happy if they took Rivers or Mayo at LB to play the middle. But, both of those guys could be gone by then. I don't really think they need to spend a first round pick on an RB, so that leaves OL as their biggest need. I would say take Harvey first, but if he's gone then take Rivers, and if their both gone take Mayo or an OL. The draft is deep in several areas the Lions need, OL, RB and CB in particular, so I'm thinking they should draft a DL or LB at #15. That way they could still get quality players at the other positions in the 2nd and 3rd round. Remember they get 2 picks in the 3rd from Cleveland.

Rhino6885, remember, Millen can ALWAYS screw it up. :lol:

I did, and there have also been rumors circulating about Williams going to Dallas. Millen and Marinelli both say they are keeping him, but there is always a lot of disinformation before the draft. But I think Williams is a Lion this year, but might leave in free agency after the 2008 season.

However, IF they traded him for draft picks, it would be Millen's most asinine move yet. Trade away the teams star receiver (and only pro-bowler) for more draft picks that he can waste? Even if the Lions weren't the worst team in the NFL when it comes to drafting and developing talent, it would still be a really, really, really boneheaded move, unless they got a proven defensive superstar in return, and not just a couple draft picks.

Eh; its hard to get excited about a Lions draft when Millen has been so awful. According to ESPN Insider, "Matt Millen has been one of the worst general managers in the game over his tenure" and 1 pick over 8 years has exceeded expectations. That leaves my with no hope for the Lions until Millen is gone.

Also; franchise Williams and if he does leave you nab a pair of #1 picks, but I doubt Millen realizes that... sigh.

Well, the Lions got jumped on Mayo.

The picks:

1st Rd: Gosder Cherilus, OL Boston College. Scouts Inc, report it as a slight reach. With Mendenall and Jeff Otah still on the board I was surpised as I didn't see this guy's name anywhere.

2nd Rd: Jordan Dizon. I dunno, haven't heard much of this guy either. Im not happy with the first day or overall disappointed.

Im hoping for a OL, DB and perhaps a QB in the second day of the draft.

I am pretty happy with the draft, too. Nothing flashy, but they actually addressed some major needs at OL, LB, and RB. I'm interested to see how Kevin Smith fares, with the huge numbers he put up in college. I would love an RB with go-the-distance potential. Dizon sounds like a solid player with great instincts.

With the complete draft completed I'd say the Lions did fairly well. A lot of picks were on defense; I wonder if these picks were Maranelli's or Millen's?

It appears that since none of the picks were too sexy that they are Maranelli type players which I can be happy about. They also made the feel good pick of the draft taking Army's Caleb Campbell with their 7th Rd Pick.

I still think a pick should have been used on a QB on the second day of the draft.

Archived