Richmond: Economy/Business/Real Estate

wrldcoupe4

OK, boys and girls, here we go!

Since this inRich story deals with four involved entities - Rocketts, Ross, Ripp and Lehigh, this seemed a likely thread. It will thrill and/or chill, depending upon ones outlook.

Happy reading! :shades:

http://www.inrich.com/cva/ric/news.apx.-co...06-09-0056.html

Related to this story, I believe City Council conditionally approved sale of the Lehigh silos last Monday.

Edited by burt

All that I heard from my aunt is that once the Fed Parking Deck is done being constructed they are supposed to move out of West Creek back downtown in 2009 but like I said before they said the same thing to her back in 2007 that they would move back in 2008 but now its 2009 and I hear the boot on the fed has alot to do with it too along with the fed parking deck. But I know they are still really interested in moving out of west creek once all the construction is completed.

All that I heard from my aunt is that once the Fed Parking Deck is done being constructed they are supposed to move out of West Creek back downtown in 2009 but like I said before they said the same thing to her back in 2007 that they would move back in 2008 but now its 2009 and I hear the boot on the fed has alot to do with it too along with the fed parking deck. But I know they are still really interested in moving out of west creek once all the construction is completed.

Thanks, Joey. That's good news. I wonder how many workers will be involved?

On inRich today, there are a couple of interesting items burried at the bottom of a piece by political columnist Tyler Whitely:

Richard Sliwoski, Director of the State's Department of General Services says that the state is in final negotiations to buy Main Street Center at 600 E. Main as well as the former headquarters building of United Dominion Realty at 400 East Cary. United Dominion is moving its headquarters to Denver.

I can't picture the 400 E. Cary building. Isn't that address across 4th street from the Bow Tie lot?

Sliwoski also says 18 companies have inquired about the public/private development of a new state office tower on the Murphy Hotel site between 8th and 9th on Broad Street.

Edited by burt

• 1 month later...

This pitiful story reflects the result of the State cutting assistance to film making in Virginia. As recently as a year ago, Richmond was host to one or two major movies per year shot on location in the city. They seldom got any media coverage. Now the RTD thinks it's big news when an obscure Virginia born actor has a minor role in a major film shot elsewhere and the RTD's header title appears in another.

Movie making is a profitable industry that should be encouraged in Virginia as it was until the General Assembly cut incentives and the Virginia Film Office budget. During the recent good years in the state, it gave employment to a lot of technical people as well as actors, added to hotel/restaurant occupancy, benefitted retail outlets and lured tourists. Too bad the General Assembly thinks otherwise.

http://www.inrich.com/cva/ric/entertainmen...07-28-0207.html

Burt, I hope you'll forgive me for thinking that there are a lot better things to do with my hard-earned money than to give it to Hollywood producers (such as letting me keep it).

I guess you are talking about State subsidies for the industry. Well, you can argue that if you want, and I respect your right to do so, but when they film in Virginia, they drop a lot of bucks here. It has been proven that the benefits of job creation and the money they leave behind far outdistances the down side.

Of course, there is what some would consider the moral issues of what is being put on film, though one would be hard put to include the recent John Adams miniseries in that category. Its producers, one of whom was Tom Hanks, spent over $80 million in the region.

Richmond's famous Martin Agency in Shockoe Slip has just launched its new Discover Credit Card account.

Martin's billings approach the Billion dollar mark, making it one of the nation's premier ad agencies. Representative of its clients are Geico and UPS.

This story is by Lou Llovio from today's inRich:

http://www.inrich.com/cva/ric/news.apx.-co...08-05-0057.html

Edited by burt

• 2 weeks later...

Speaking of Martin Agency, it sounds like Wal-mart is pleased with their new ad campaign...

Wal-Mart enters the Ad Age

Wal-Mart famously amassed its daunting market share by using sophisticated systems for logistics and operations. By contrast, its marketing was always something of a backwater, and the retailer's ads looked homemade, with Wal-Mart's price-slashing smiley-face character in a prominent role. An attempt to inject some pizzazz by hiring Chrysler marketer Julie Roehm resulted in a culture clash, and she departed in a 2006 mini-scandal.

Now the company is bringing new sophistication to its marketing, and the changes are generating eye-opening results. Analysts say the latest campaign, which launched in September 2007, has helped Wal-Mart deliver strong sales growth - repeatedly beating expectations - at a time many retailers are gasping for breath.

Wal-Mart's new ad firm, the Martin Agency, combed corporate archives seeking ideas that would resonate with core budget shoppers. A eureka moment came while watching a video of a Sam Walton speech from 1992. "We'll give the world the opportunity to see what it's like to save and have a better lifestyle," Walton said. From that sentence sprang the "Save money. Live better" tagline.

Speaking of Martin Agency, it sounds like Wal-mart is pleased with their new ad campaign...

Wal-Mart enters the Ad Age

Brad Armstrong, the exec who heads this account at Martin, raided some big-name ad shops across the land and lured a few top professionals to help launch the Wal*Mart campaign from Shockoe Slip. Martin's annual billings have reached $1 billion, give or take a few bucks.

Brad Armstrong, the exec who heads this account at Martin, raided some big-name ad shops across the land and lured a few top professionals to help launch the Wal*Mart campaign from Shockoe Slip. Martin's annual billings have reached $1 billion, give or take a few bucks.

I wonder when will they reach Fortune 500 status (or even 1000)?