Providence Music Scene

runawayjim

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i have a strange feeling that DRM goes against what AS220 stands for. it might be free, but i'm not sure itunes has any indie labels. AS220 has a strict policy against corporate music. you cannot play any licensed music at AS220, which might also include your own if you're part of the ASCAP.

Would they also kick me out if I showed them my union card? :ph34r:

Urb

The Fashion Failures

Recent review:

"... Their aesthetic would lead one to believe that they traveled forward in time from 1974 and the last album they heard was (The Stooges') Raw Power, as all the progression from there on in the genre had been lost on them. I don't mean this in a pejorative sense; sometimes what one needs is some straight-ahead, loud and unruly rock 'n' roll...That is certainly what the Fashion Failures represent, hair, volume, attitude and all. The band played their role with suitably kinetic energy and had the best quote of the night (in the words of the frontman: "Cheap Trick cures prostate cancer")."

We play rock and roll for the kids.

Ah, the little tiny world of Rhode Island.

Hey eltron are you peeing your pants waiting for the Borat movie yet?

ha! I'm actually kinda scared...Borat is ridiculous, but its hard enough in small doses. 90 minutes might be killer...

i have a strange feeling that DRM goes against what AS220 stands for. it might be free, but i'm not sure itunes has any indie labels. AS220 has a strict policy against corporate music. you cannot play any licensed music at AS220, which might also include your own if you're part of the ASCAP.

iTunes has the entire bloodshot records catalog, i think...they are pretty indie...

like i said, i didn't know... but i still have a feeling the DRM would be scoffed at by AS220.

I know www.localbandsri.com its a pretty good site. It has a lot of information. Actually a battle of the bands tonight at 6 at the living room. Winner has a chance to get signed by WB Records.

I know www.localbandsri.com its a pretty good site. It has a lot of information. Actually a battle of the bands tonight at 6 at the living room. Winner has a chance to get signed by WB Records.

good idea with teh site... but they seem to cater to one type of music (at least from what i can tell by listening to the songs listed in the listening room). it's all that pop punk type music. blah...

good idea with teh site... but they seem to cater to one type of music (at least from what i can tell by listening to the songs listed in the listening room). it's all that pop punk type music. blah...

Not really because the battle of the bands tonight is a little heavier. My roommates band www.mindofein.com is one of the favorites to hopefully win. there is definately a small range on there, but still a decent amount of local acts.. Plus once you start going to there sites you branch out to more networks with who the bands are connected with.

Not really because the battle of the bands tonight is a little heavier. My roommates band www.mindofein.com is one of the favorites to hopefully win. there is definately a small range on there, but still a decent amount of local acts.. Plus once you start going to there sites you branch out to more networks with who the bands are connected with.

i'm not saying it's a bad idea... that site is exactly what cotuit was thinking of, but for providence bands.

speaking of local bands... AS220 has the monthly your roots are showing tonight. 2 of the performers are from providence. i'll probably be there since i had a good long 2 hour nap this afternoon.

i'm not saying it's a bad idea... that site is exactly what cotuit was thinking of, but for providence bands.

speaking of local bands... AS220 has the monthly your roots are showing tonight. 2 of the performers are from providence. i'll probably be there since i had a good long 2 hour nap this afternoon.

so i went to AS220 tonight for that show. it was actually really good and really fun. if you like folk, bluegrass, country, blues, country rock, or a combination of any of that... you'll like this series.

and i have to say, the sound there is much better than you would expect from such a small place. one of the bands was electric (yes, only one of them) and generally in a place like that you have a hard time hearing the vocals, but they had the sound absolutely perfect so you could hear it all.

3 more providence artists:

John Lerner

Chris Monti

Lucky 57

Also check out the past your roots are showing shows for other bands and artists from providence and the area.

3 more providence artists:

I hate to sound so out of step -- but, being a jazz trombone player, I can't help it -- but I just discovered that George Masso, one of the giants of jazz trombone (played with Jimmy Dorsey, Benny Goodman, and various other luminaries), is from Cranston. He's playing at -- again, way out of step with the kind of music most of this thread is focused on -- an event at Rhodes-on-the-Pawtuxet a week from Tuesday, with various local big bands and smaller groups, put on by the musicians' union local. I think it's an annual event....

Urb

I hate to sound so out of step -- but, being a jazz trombone player, I can't help it -- but I just discovered that George Masso, one of the giants of jazz trombone (played with Jimmy Dorsey, Benny Goodman, and various other luminaries), is from Cranston. He's playing at -- again, way out of step with the kind of music most of this thread is focused on -- an event at Rhodes-on-the-Pawtuxet a week from Tuesday, with various local big bands and smaller groups, put on by the musicians' union local. I think it's an annual event....

Urb

nothing is out of step with this thread. all kinds of music are welcome. i only mention the ones i know about.

Just an update, my roommates band won, and they are going on tour next month and are recording at Warnner Brother Records. Really excited. An amazing band I saw last night was Grey Stanford. Everyone should check them out definately worth listening too.

• 2 months later...

Not a local band, but I think when the need arises, local shows should also be pimped here.

TV on the Radio, who produced one of the better albums of 2006 in Return to Cookie Mountain are playing Lupo's on March 1. I figure at least eltron might be interested.

Not a local band, but I think when the need arises, local shows should also be pimped here.

TV on the Radio, who produced one of the better albums of 2006 in Return to Cookie Mountain are playing Lupo's on March 1. I figure at least eltron might be interested.

Archived