Single in the 616

Veloise

Wish me luck: I've gotten inspired to throw a perfectly good $30 bill at American Singles. Turns out that several of my secret admirers are in the Nigerian scam artist demographic. (I would prefer a LTR and really don't want a LDR.)

And yes I'm on Cycling Singles, along with perhaps ten other people in west Mich.

Veloise, check out Craigslist sometime (NOT the casual encounter crowd... eeeew!). Chicago area (close enough to take train, etc.) There's a guy in the San Francisco Bay area who is traveling to Chicago on business in September. He is an avid cyclist and has a sailboat on the East coast. He sounds very nice, intelligent. He's 46 and divorced.

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This just in my mailbox:

On Saturday, September 16, Singles By Design will be having their 6th Annual Progressive Picnic.

For the picnic, we will start off at Hager Park in Jenison, where there will be a mixer game (for those who want to play), proceed to the Grand Haven State Park in Grand Haven to watch the sunset and walk the pier. After that, we will be attending the Salmon & Song Fest to listen and dance to the band "Soul'd Out". Look for the blue flag at each park to find out where we are seated. Come on out and enjoy meeting new people and fellowship.

We are asking everyone to bring a dish to pass. The type of dish that

you will be asked to bring will depend on which month you were born. We

will start off by having the main course and hor'deurves at the park in Jenison, and proceed to Grand Haven for dessert. Tableware will be provided. Please bring your own beverage. If you come to only one park please bring the dish that goes with that park.

We will be meeting at the following parks at these times:

3:30-5:00pm- Hager Park-( Main Course & Hor'deurves)-

Directions from Holland:

Take Chicago Drive to Balsam Drive. Go left. Balsam Drive turns into 28th Avenue.

Hager Park's Main Entrance is 3 miles down on the right.

Directions from Grand Rapids:

1-196 to the Jenison Exit (exit 69B) merge onto Chicago Drive. Stay

right and turn right onto Main Street/ Baldwin. Turn right on Cottonwood

to Bauer Road. Then left onto 28th Avenue to Hager Park.

If your birthday falls between January-September, please bring a main course or hor'deurve to this park. Suggestions are: sandwiches, fried chicken, cold seafood, cold cuts, sloppy joes, meatballs, macaroni salad, potato salad, cheese and crackers, fruit, bean dips, taco salad, deviled eggs, potatoes, vegetables, casseroles, etc. Main course meals are preferred.

6:00pm - Sunset - Grand Haven State Park- Grand Haven. (Dessert)-

Directions from Hager Park:

Go right on 28th Avenue. Turn left on Bauer Road. (2 miles) Turn right on 48th Avenue. (3 miles)

Turn left on Lake Michigan Drive. It's a Michigan Turn. (14 miles) Turn right on US-31. (6 miles)

Turn left on Franklin. Turn left on S. Harbor Drive. Parking is free along S. Harbor Drive in front of the park and just past the park by Bilmar Restaurant, but limited. You can try to find a spot. There will be a state park fee to park inside the State Park.

If your birthday falls between October-December, please bring a dessert to this park.

After our walk on the pier to watch the sunset, we will be going north just

past Washington by The Kirby Grill to the beer tent. There is a $5 cover

charge. The band plays from 8:00 to midnight.

We will be inviting singles from all of the Holland, Muskegon,

Hudsonville, Kalamazoo, and Grand Rapids area, and YOU are encouraged to invite your friends!!! This is a great time to meet some new friends.

Come on out and mingle and have alot of fun!

• 2 weeks later...

What is "It's Just Lunch"?

Private dating service (a franchise, really) where they hook you up with "date-ettes" for, um, guess what.

The idea is it only lasts for lunch. Things not working out? "Gee, look at the time!" No major committment unlike dinner & a movie.

I think I've seen ads for the franchisees in every city I've ever travelled in/to.

"Dating for busy professionals"

/read the billboard.

You pay a fee to be matched with at guaranteed number of lunch dates, you give the "matchmaker" your feedback after the date and they use that to tweak who they might match you with on future lunch dates. Seems like it would be a lot less time consuming than sifting through/managing an online try at dating, since someone else does all the screening, setting up of the dates.

You pay a fee to be matched with at guaranteed number of lunch dates, you give the "matchmaker" your feedback after the date and they use that to tweak who they might match you with on future lunch dates. Seems like it would be a lot less time consuming than sifting through/managing an online try at dating, since someone else does all the screening, setting up of the dates.

kinda takes the fun out of it..... i think if your too busy to date, then you need to cut back work because that means your too busy to live.

kinda takes the fun out of it..... i think if your too busy to date, then you need to cut back work because that means your too busy to live.

Are we sharing brainwaves? Because at the exact moment I typed exactly word for word what you just said.

I guess I'm going to just say ditto.

Hey, wading through personal ads takes a lot of time. And IME sending a fella a "wink" or whatever it's called on a particular site is tantamount to the entire 3rd grade class screaming, "she liiiiikes YOUUUUU!" Makes 'em duck & cover. (I don't look anything like those ugly dog pics Budgie keeps using, so it's not that)

Having an impartial third party set up a "lunch meeting" could be a big help. (As can having helpful friends run interference for you.) If your friendship base isn't large enough, you won't be going on any dates because you don't know anyone.

[and they are probably sitting on the other side of RPC]

Hey, wading through personal ads takes a lot of time. And IME sending a fella a "wink" or whatever it's called on a particular site is tantamount to the entire 3rd grade class screaming, "she liiiiikes YOUUUUU!" Makes 'em duck & cover. (I don't look anything like those ugly dog pics Budgie keeps using, so it's not that)

Having an impartial third party set up a "lunch meeting" could be a big help. (As can having helpful friends run interference for you.) If your friendship base isn't large enough, you won't be going on any dates because you don't know anyone.

I dont know, I never date anyone my friends know, and yet I dont seem to have trouble finding a date... There is a whole world out there full of the opposite sex, sometimes you just have to take a chance and just start talking to people.

True dat...on the too busy bit.

Someone also said something about how it could be helpful if you don't know many people in the first place. If that's the case, I can see something like the lunch deal working out just in terms of broadening your social circle. I can also think of things that accomplish the same goal that don't cost any money...Guess it just goes to show, there's something out there for everyone.

I dont know, I never date anyone my friends know, and yet I dont seem to have trouble finding a date... There is a whole world out there full of the opposite sex, sometimes you just have to take a chance and just start talking to people.

Are you a guy? If so, your experience would be very different. Also, aren't you still just a pup? (In a good way... no ugly dog innuendo intended.) If so, your experience would be very different. The pool of available potential mates/dates rapidly declines once one reaches one's 40s... and it's downright slim pickin's when one gets into the 50s and above. My motto is: All the good men are dead or married. A little levity, here. MUCH needed.

You could goto Meijers. Pick out a man minus the ring and bump your cart into his... :)

Heehee. I would highly recommend reading the man's face before doing so. A bad mood could turn such an exchange into an ugly encounter, indeed. (And they don't always wear their ring, by the way, so you'd have to scrutinize the contents of his basket to make sure he's not on an errand to retrieve diapers and baby wipes or, ahem, feminine hygiene products.)

Otherwise, great idea. I should try it. But there is a bit of a problem. I don't see many prospects haunting the dog food aisle.

:(

True dat...on the too busy bit.

Someone also said something about how it could be helpful if you don't know many people in the first place. If that's the case, I can see something like the lunch deal working out just in terms of broadening your social circle. I can also think of things that accomplish the same goal that don't cost any money...Guess it just goes to show, there's something out there for everyone.

Who pays for the lunch?

Veloise, I sent my current photo (warts) to a guy I met on Craigslist. He told me that I remind him of his ex-wife.

:rofl:

Guys, just holler at some random women that you see and find attractive. You may get shot down, you may not, but it saves a lot of time and money! If you can deal with rejection, its better than any dating service you could come up with!

Geeze, why stop there? Yell, "MARRY ME!" and see if you get any takers. Cuts right to the chase.

Guys, just holler at some random women that you see and find attractive. You may get shot down, you may not, but it saves a lot of time and money! If you can deal with rejection, its better than any dating service you could come up with!

Somewhere on the web there's got to be a list of recommended pick-up lines.

I know that I, personally, just adore to have strangers shouting stuff at me (like I don't get that riding in traffic). And it's such an effective way to make new acquaintances.

"HEY BABY!! HOW ABOUT IT???!?!" Yep, a real turn-on. It was fun in junior high, and it's even better now!

[going to the Singles by Design progressive party this Saturday...who's with me? C'mon along; you'll know at least one person there!]

Somewhere on the web there's got to be a list of recommended pick-up lines.

I know that I, personally, just adore to have strangers shouting stuff at me (like I don't get that riding in traffic). And it's such an effective way to make new acquaintances.

"HEY BABY!! HOW ABOUT IT???!?!" Yep, a real turn-on. It was fun in junior high, and it's even better now!

[going to the Singles by Design progressive party this Saturday...who's with me? C'mon along; you'll know at least one person there!]

I think you got it mixed up. "Hollering" at someone is just a popular word amongst young people. It doesn't mean yelling out "Hey BABY!!!!!!!". Hollering simply means that if you see a woman you're interested in, go up to her an simply say hello. And after that "hello", if she seems interested, spark up a simple conversation. That's all. Its really simple and sure beats paying a 3rd party a boat of cash just so they can set you up.

I think you got it mixed up. "Hollering" at someone is just a popular word amongst young people. It doesn't mean yelling out "Hey BABY!!!!!!!". Hollering simply means that if you see a woman you're interested in, go up to her an simply say hello. And after that "hello", if she seems interested, spark up a simple conversation. That's all. Its really simple and sure beats paying a 3rd party a boat of cash just so they can set you up.

According to Dictionary.com, the definition of holler is:

Archived