Downtown Developments (South of Calhoun)

Spartan

• 11 months later...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
17 hours ago, KJHburg said:

New hotel along the waterfront it seems to block other condos and hotels but that is city life.   Cooper Hotel  along the Cooper River.  Today. 

The Cooper Hotel on the Charleston Waterfront (blharbert.com)

IMG_4921.JPG

IMG_4904.JPG

IMG_4905.JPG

IMG_4906.JPG

IMG_4907.JPG

IMG_4908.JPG

IMG_4909.JPG

IMG_4910.JPG

IMG_4914.JPG

The Vendue Inn used to have some of the best water views in Chas, and then some condos sprung up, completely obscuring the harbor. Love Charleston, but the peninsula is really getting densely packed..both structurally and in population. I believe I read, yesterday,  Chas, N. Chas, and Mt Pleasant all rank in the top 5 biggest cities in the state. If they were all one big "Charleston", it would further separate itself as the Palmetto State's largest city. 

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

A  proposed 2 building project at 29-35 George St and 306 King St goes before the BAR this week for conceptual approval.  Both buildings are 6 - 7 floors with one being an apartment building and the other a hotel with a restaurant on the top floor.  The designs are way too interesting to get conceptual approval this week.

edit:

Should have included BAR agenda link renderings start on page 72.

PowerPoint Presentation (charleston-sc.gov)

Edited by ZUMAN2
Add more info

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...

A proposed 7/8 floor apartment building at 295 Calhoun St.  goes before the BAR later today for conceptual approval.  This is the 3rd or 4th time the project has gone before the BAR

There's a lot of controversy around this project with the Charleston Preservation Society leading the resistance.  The project is across the street from Roper Hospital with Long Lake immediately south of the project.  No, in my opinion and with many others the architecture is not exciting but what I do like is the developer is offering the build a board walk along Long Lake's northern shoreline and pathways around the lake in addition to building a linear park from Calhoun to the boardwalk for public access.

I suspect the BAR will again defer the project this afternoon.   I have a feeling the developer will be sueing the city as there is no sound reason for denial.

Rendering begin at the top of the PDF:

There's also another south of Calhoun apartment project under review today on East Bay Street included in the PDF above.

23 hours ago, ZUMAN2 said:

A proposed 7/8 floor apartment building at 295 Calhoun St.  goes before the BAR later today for conceptual approval.  This is the 3rd or 4th time the project has gone before the BAR

There's a lot of controversy around this project with the Charleston Preservation Society leading the resistance.  The project is across the street from Roper Hospital with Long Lake immediately south of the project.  No, in my opinion and with many others the architecture is not exciting but what I do like is the developer is offering the build a board walk along Long Lake's northern shoreline and pathways around the lake in addition to building a linear park from Calhoun to the boardwalk for public access.

I suspect the BAR will again defer the project this afternoon.   I have a feeling the developer will be sueing the city as there is no sound reason for denial.

Rendering begin at the top of the PDF:

There's also another south of Calhoun apartment project under review today on East Bay Street included in the PDF above.

As suspected the BAR denied 295 Calhoun in a 3-2 vote.  It was obvious that minds were already made up going into the BAR meeting yesterday.  It's unfortunate as the developers have spent significant money on architectural and engineering fees to no avail.

If I'm a developer wanting to build something in the city of Charleston I would hire a local architectural firm who has an established relationship with the city building staff and the BAR.

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/10/2022 at 3:45 PM, ZUMAN2 said:

As suspected the BAR denied 295 Calhoun in a 3-2 vote.  It was obvious that minds were already made up going into the BAR meeting yesterday.  It's unfortunate as the developers have spent significant money on architectural and engineering fees to no avail.

If I'm a developer wanting to build something in the city of Charleston I would hire a local architectural firm who has an established relationship with the city building staff and the BAR.

As reported in the Post and Courier yesterday the developer is sueing the city for denying approval at 295 Calhoun St.  The developer claims the city is not on legal grounds for the denial.

At the second project review before the BAR back in the summer the developer had their attorney speak and review the legal grounds in which the BAR must abide by so I'm not surprised the developer filed suit. 

I predict the developer will prevail but perhaps there will be concessions by both parties.

• 5 weeks later...
On 12/8/2022 at 9:06 AM, ZUMAN2 said:

As reported in the Post and Courier yesterday the developer is sueing the city for denying approval at 295 Calhoun St.  The developer claims the city is not on legal grounds for the denial.

At the second project review before the BAR back in the summer the developer had their attorney speak and review the legal grounds in which the BAR must abide by so I'm not surprised the developer filed suit. 

I predict the developer will prevail but perhaps there will be concessions by both parties.

295 Calhoun in on BAR's 1/11/23 agenda.   This is very odd.  I'm wondering what backoffice deal was made between the City and developer.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

A property flying the Four Seasons flag will replace the former Days Inn budget motel at 155 Meeting St., the Florida-based developer of the project announced while also submitting more detailed design plans to the city. 

“Strategic Property Partners LLC has agreed on terms with Four Seasons Hotels and Resorts, the world’s leading luxury hospitality company, to manage the planned hotel and residences at 155 Meeting Street in downtown Charleston,” said Brad Cooke, the real estate firm’s senior vice president of development.

It will be the first Four Seasons-flagged property in the Palmetto State. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1