The Future

JWCJ

I like the proposal/rendering evanf posted a couple pages back SO much more than this.

Which one's more recent?

This project is probably big enough to deserve its own thread...conversations of it are split into 3 threads as of yet.

I like it. Especially the contrast it will have with the surrounding buildings.

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My guess is that the rendering from SMBW is the more recent one. It looks like they ditched the warehouse idea that was featured in the RTD and are going for a more modern look (at least for the First Freedom Center). I wonder what they have planned for the hotels.

My guess is that the rendering from SMBW is the more recent one. It looks like they ditched the warehouse idea that was featured in the RTD and are going for a more modern look (at least for the First Freedom Center). I wonder what they have planned for the hotels.

IMO, the warehouse idea is preferrable to this massive hulk.

Perhaps the "arms" supporting the illuminated tower could be enhanced with greenery ala some of the examples in this web site:

http://www.g-sky.com/default.aspx

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

AARRRRGHHHHH!!!! Won't somebody stop this stupidity!?!? (and can somebody recommend me a new barber shop that I can walk to?)

Tobacco Company Owner Single-Handedly Destroying the Slip

Barbershop gets cut out of its digs

March 7, 2011 by Aaron Kremer

A Shockoe Bottom barbershop closed last week although it liked its location and wanted to stay in business.

Razors, a high-end barbershop and men’s spa on Cary Street between 12th and 13th streets, closed early last week after its lease with a new landlord was not extended. The business opened in 2006.

Chanti Lowenberg, the manager at Razors, said that the new landlord – Tobacco Company restaurateur Jerry Cable – did not want to extend a lease to the business.

“He is not re-signing anyone on that block,” Lowenberg said.

“He is going to close all the places down. He wants to open a high-end retail shop like Saks Fifth Avenue.”

BizSense was unable to reach Cable, whose assistant said he was traveling through the middle of this week.

Cable bought the building that housed Razors at a foreclosure auction in December. (You can read more about that in an RBS story here.) Union First Market Bank had taken it back from disgraced developer Justin French.

In a February Times-Dispatch article, Cable said that he wants to restore the area and that it’s “an upscale shopping area in the middle of the financial district.”

It sounds like an ambitious (possibly ill-advised) move by Jerry Cable. But if he can solve the parking problem and lure a destination store to the site, it might work and bring in even more development to the area. Shops and restaurants like Williamsburg Toys; Bull & Beercroft; an upscale women's store called Ashley's as well as Pomegranate have all moved on from that block in The Slip. On the other hand, Urban Farmhouse, Chez Bobette and RAZORS have flourished there recently.

Cable probably believes the Religious Freedom Museum with adjoining hotels, pending redevelopment of Reynold's (Alcoa) North Plant as well as the popularity of The Hat Factory and Off the Hookah are (or will be) attracting more big-spending traffic to Shockoe Slip.

Hugh will be moving his barber shop back into The John Marshall very soon.:)

• 3 weeks later...

Received an email from Razors yesterday indicating they were opening a larger shop near "20th and Broad" (which is saying something since the Shockoe location was surprising large) which is supposed to have off-street parking. They say they're going to be open by May, but I can't figure out where they're talking about based on my limited Google Street View search.

I hate websites that have pictures which click on and off so fast you can't savor the views. I'd like to linger on the rendering of the block-long 2001East project. Is there some way to "pause" the action?

If you're in Firefox, just right click the image and then click "View Image"

Edit: Or I could just post it here..lol

_boutiquelifestyle.jpg

This development reminds me of something you would see in DC. And I mean that in a mostly good way.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

In today's RTD, there was an editorial/article in the Commentary section (I think) about the Urban Land Institute on what the Richmond region will be like in 2035. Well, they estimated that at the pace we are growing at, 5,642 units will need to be built EVERY YEAR FOR THE NEXT TWO DECADES!! :yahoo:

And with that number, it says that by 2035, there will be more than 112,000 built units! This number is fantastic, and it also shows that we are in a major growth position, and we need to capitalize on it. The ULI also estimates that there are about 40,000 to 50,000 UNBUILT LOTS in Chesterfield alone. Also, (here goes) the Richmond region will go from 1.25 million today to more than 1.6 million in 2035. That's a LOT of people. Plus, it made a big deal on urban, suburban and rural housing and landscapes. It argued over the case of which counties and areas should be kept rural. It also noted that most of Richmond's growth happened in what it calls the "outer ring", which was New Kent, Goochland, and Powhatan. It also had a map of which areas will be rural, suburban, and urban in 2035, and which areas will be developed in the future. There were also several "main development centers", which says to me that those are areas the the RVA region needs to focus on. This included (as I remember) Ashland, Mechanicsville, Atlee, Short Pump/Innsbrook, Richmond Int'l and surrounding area, Chesterfield Gov't center, Swift Creek, Downtown, Glenside, and VCU. If these are all the main developement areas that we need to focus on, then that is good. All of these areas are pretty developed, but some are still in need of rescue perhaps (like Innsbrook, Glenside, and CBD.) I was suprised when I saw Glenside on the list of main developement areas, but then I remembered: that is the area of Reynold's Crossing, that Kmart, Embassy Suites, all that area. That area is in need of repair. Sure Reynolds Crossing is new and good, but what about the Kmart and that area? Glenside/Broad St? That intersection should be capitalized and turned into a gateway perhaps, because after passing Glenside/Broad heading east, it starts getting more and more urban. You head further into the city. Also we all know that the CBD needs more revitalization. And Innsbrook? Well, let's just say "Innsbrook Next" :)http://www.innsbrook.com/next.html

So overall, (and I'm sorry if I bored you all to sleep) this is really big for the Richmond area. It shows that we are on the right track for growth and that we have several ideas on which areas to focus on. These areas could become gateways, pedestrian malls, shops, residences, the possibilities are endless.

And so, as the man says in the article: "What's next for the Richmond region?"

Well there has been construction activity around the intersection of Broad and Glenside. A Hampton Inn was built directly to the north of K-Mart. Also a new hotel is being built where a restaurant once stood; next the Navy Federal Credi Union. I believe it is called "Value Inn"... ...IMO it is horrible name for a hotel.

Well there has been construction activity around the intersection of Broad and Glenside. A Hampton Inn was built directly to the north of K-Mart. Also a new hotel is being built where a restaurant once stood; next the Navy Federal Credi Union. I believe it is called "Value Inn"... ...IMO it is horrible name for a hotel.

Yep. I know exactly what you are talking about. It was in the former sight of the ol' Steak & Ale (the tall marquee sign I believe is still there, if it hasn't already been taken down) but I thought it was a Country Inn & Suites... :mellow: but yes I agree "Value Inn" is not exactly my idea of a good hotel.... <_<

The name sounds like an upscale prostitute hotel. I did not see the marquee sign while staying in the area.

This new hotel be will the third extended stay hotel within a 5-minute walk of the others.

Speaking of the "future", it would nice if the CNB would be a Hyatt Regency. I let my mind wonder away while driving southbound I-95 and visualized the Hyatt Regency logo on the top of CNB. If I had the means, I would buy CNB and definitely court Hyatt.

The name sounds like an upscale prostitute hotel. I did not see the marquee sign while staying in the area.

This new hotel be will the third extended stay hotel within a 5-minute walk of the others.

Speaking of the "future", it would nice if the CNB would be a Hyatt Regency. I let my mind wonder away while driving southbound I-95 and visualized the Hyatt Regency logo on the top of CNB. If I had the means, I would buy CNB and definitely court Hyatt.

Well, maybe I should have rephrased that.... :ermm:

I meant that there's a tall, big sign with the letters torn down, but the silhouette of the former letters that were once lit up on the sign is still visible, and reads "Steak & Ale Restaurant".... the sign is yet to be taken down, or just placed with new letters bearing the new hotel's abominable name... <_<

Dear mods-- I think we need to change the title of this thread since it no longer includes (... off Shockoe Bottom and the Slip) as it did before the site redesign. As it stands, it looks like this is just a thread to talk about "The Future"

Archived