Modern vs Historic

I just read this topic in the Charleston thread, and thought it was rather interesting, and could apply to Greenville as well. Obviously, Charleston is much more historic, but you get the point.

Link: http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=26726

I personally love historic buildings, esp for their architectural significance, but should we try to hold on to these things and the past? Or should we allow the city to grow and change in a freeform manner? Which is more important?

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

are they still going to build the tower at falls and broad and when will they start?

I say we protect what we can that is historical, but be sensible with it, the DPC has gone to far recently.

BUT, be open to all forms of architecture for new projects.

We have a good mix, I think. The old buildings that have been renovated/preserved are amazing additions to our downtown, and something would be missing by not having them. But a few of the recent DPC decisions have seemed drastic and uncalled for. A great example of this is the building in the West End - 802 S. Main maybe - that was deemed unfit and a safety hazard. Even though a developer had a great plan for that space, the DPC said no. I am all for preserving our history, but if we preserve ALL of it then we're going to end up like Charleston. And I don't want Greenville to be a museum.

Charleston was preserved because after the economic collaspe of the South after the late unpleasantness, there was no money to redevelop mid 1800's structures, so they stayed up.

By the time the economy rebounded in the early 1900's, what was once old and decrepit had historic value and worthy of showcasing the Old South to a new generation.

Greenville, alas, ripped down much of its post Civil War downtown. I would have loved to have seen the Robert Mills' Court House kept and some other places, but they were ripped down.

Charleston was preserved because after the economic collaspe of the South after the late unpleasantness, there was no money to redevelop mid 1800's structures, so they stayed up.

By the time the economy rebounded in the early 1900's, what was once old and decrepit had historic value and worthy of showcasing the Old South to a new generation.

Greenville, alas, ripped down much of its post Civil War downtown. I would have loved to have seen the Robert Mills' Court House kept and some other places, but they were ripped down.

I personally don't mind that the original Courthouse is gone. There were several buildings along Main Street that were incredibly lavish. The way I see it today, our Main Street is the envy of cities across the nation, and that shows great creative adaptivity and hard work. Since the rebirth of tourism as a key industry in Greenville is relatively new, I am content to accept the losses of past generations, preserve what should be preserved, and work toward our progressive future. There are a few buildings I think are standing in the way of positive progression. This is where the DPC is really out of line, IMO.

I personally don't mind that the original Courthouse is gone. There were several buildings along Main Street that were incredibly lavish. The way I see it today, our Main Street is the envy of cities across the nation, and that shows great creative adaptivity and hard work. Since the rebirth of tourism as a key industry in Greenville is relatively new, I am content to accept the losses of past generations, preserve what should be preserved, and work toward our progressive future. There are a few buildings I think are standing in the way of positive progression. This is where the DPC is really out of line, IMO.

Well said Skyliner. :thumbsup:

Archived