Lagniappe

NCB

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Wow, an explosion at a flare-manufacturing plant, you can't expect a good outcome out of that! ;)

No crap. I'm a little concerned, because on the news a few minutes ago they said it's been burning all day and is still a 'volatile' situation. Even fire crews are staying far back and allowing it to burn. Makes you hope you actually wake up in the morning, living so close. Luckily 5 miles is quite a ways for it to travel.

The problem is, right there is also the GOEX black powder plant. I guess that's not a problem, though, since there was an explosion last month at GOEX and it's currently on a 6-month shutdown as a result.

Edited by SBCmetroguy

How did you like NYC and Providence, Tommy?

It was neat. I didnt get to go to Providence, because I was going for Waterfire, and I got there the day after. Manhattan was nice as usual. It was a cool trip. Seems like you all are in a lul over here. Not as much posting going on as usual. Everything alright?

It just seems to sound worse and worse with every article...

http://www.shreveporttimes.com/apps/pbcs.d...NGNEWS/60824007

The only thing about this that makes me feel good is that the article says people are being detoured onto Hwy 157, which is where I live. That makes me think that my neighborhood is probably just outside of this mess. Working nearly 30 miles from my home really bothers me, having no idea if my windows are still intact or if the constant explosions have caused my already timid dog to have a heart attack.

Edit: See the attached thumbnail below. The big red X is where I live, and the big grey blob just to the right of the red X is the site of all these explosions. The big grey blob to the left of the red X is Barksdale Air Force Base, on the eastern side of which huge stockpiles of nuclear weapons are stored. My house is no more than 2 miles off the eastern edge of the base.

post-9805-1156445849_thumb.jpg

Edited by SBCmetroguy

Another update to the above story....

I-20 has reopened, but the explosions are STILL occurring. No one knows what will happen, because they can't get close enough to check on it. They just have to wait for the fires to burn themselves out and the explosions to stop. These explosions have been going on since around 8:30 this morning.

Wow, there seem to be a lot of problems over there. Certainly doesn't make you want to live in that area does it?

Not at all.

This site is an industrial park on what used to be an ARMY ammunution plant. Because of the explosives-friendly facilities, this industrial park is full of explosives-related businesses. The business that blew up today actually disassembles explosives, and they had tons of 750-lb explosives on-site today. The last business that blew up 2 weeks ago is a plant that makes flares for the military. A month or so before that, there was a small explosion on the same site, but at the Goex black powder plant. Goex has a track record of having at least one small explosion every couple of years here lately.

Hey guys, just figured I'd post this since it's relevant to something that was discussed here recently. There has been YET ANOTHER explosion at the Camp Minden site about 5 miles from my home. Maybe I should sell and move back into the city?

Wow Brian. Sorry I missed yesterday's post. I am glad you posted this. I heard about some explosions at a plant somewhere around Doyline sp?. Sounds scary for sure! Are they just now tonite letting the people back into the area ? Thanks for the map too.

I remember a long time ago Exxon had an explosion you could hear 10 miles across town. It blew some windows out nearby the plant.

Edited by richyb83

Wow Brian. Sorry I missed yesterday's post. I am glad you posted this. I heard about some explosions at a plant somewhere around Doyline sp?. Sounds scary for sure! Are they just now tonite letting the people back into the area ? Thanks for the map too.

I remember a long time ago Exxon had an explosion you could hear 10 miles across town. It blew some windows out nearby the plant.

Yeah people were allowed to return home today. I had to drive to Minden this evening, and driving past this property on I-20 there was still lingering smoke from the explosions last night. There were three truckloads of 750-lb bombs, and authorities today said that many of those bombs were just flung about during the explosions and it's a wonder not all of them went off. Kids were evacuated to a school a few miles away, where the blasts could still be heard and felt as if they were right there.