Uptown skyshow to head to Knights Stadium

Just a little bit of new info....Charlotte is going to have a fireworks show downtown Charlotte on the 4th of July and it is being sposored by Clear Channel and Scott Clark Toyota City.

Here is an article about it.

Is there some news there? We've been posting about that on this thread since 22May.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 weeks later...

After listening to the news, it sounds as if this show will be nothing like shows of the past 30+ years. The biggest difference of course is that it won't be in downtown and in fact, you probably won't be able to see it from there. The police are suggesting that people show up at Memorial stadium at by 9pm (show starts at 9:30 pm) which will presumably allow them to lock down the crowd to prevent a riot such as what happened last year. The CCCP has suggested a few other places in 1st ward, 2nd ward and Dilworth where there will be good views.

Somehow I don't think it will be the same.

Went to the show downtown tonight for the first time. I must say it was a big crowd. The square was packed with people and flocks were moving up Trade from the Bus Station. It was a pretty good vibe for a first timer tho. The fireworks weren't that great and everyone had to walk few blocks near the arena and below that. Fireworks weren't really special IMO. Me my mom and lil cousin attended and we all agreed that the best part of tonight was being downtown. We also happened to get caught in the jam on Independence too. It was overall nice, but from what I've heard off other years, it could have been better.

The police have said that only 25,000 people attended this event which is a far cry from the 80,000 predicted by the CCCP. It's my guess we won't see this event in downtown Charlotte again. Scott Clark and the others that invested in this show can't be too happy with the results. Amazingly, there is no word in the Charlotte media on how well the Carolina Sky Show did in comparison in its new digs in at Knight's stadium.

The best spot this year will be in Fort Mill. Depending on your location you can see the Knights show and the Carowinds show. I-77 from Fort Mill to the state line will have cars lined up along the shoulder viewing both shows.

Not far away, Lake Wylie also had its own show. I was able to watch the Carowinds show from my bedroom window...not too shabby.

The police have said that only 25,000 people attended this event which is a far cry from the 80,000 predicted by the CCCP. It's my guess we won't see this event in downtown Charlotte again. Scott Clark and the others that invested in this show can't be too happy with the results. Amazingly, there is no word in the Charlotte media on how well the Carolina Sky Show did in comparison in its new digs in at Knight's stadium.

I believe that they have already committed to fireworks uptown again next year. Attendance at the Knights game was 14,952, of course the local media doesn't cover the Knights.

have you ever wondered whose job it is to count crowds... do the police have an official "head counter"? someone with rain man's ability would be good.... 25,000... definently 25,000. :)

all i can say is that we've gone to the same spot in indy park for the last 3 years, and this was as crowded as i've seen it. maybe people who normally would go uptown decided to stay back a ways. also, the traffic was pretty bad after the show... according to official crowd estimates, this wasn't a whole lot bigger than a bobcats game and nowhere near the size of a panthers game.... but the traffic sure seemed worse. i guess designated parking really works wonders.

I believe the police said it was 25,000 total. I believe there were about 16-18K in Memorial Stadium.

Where were they counting? Just around the stadium? We watched from off Central and drove around for 30 minutes looking for a place to park. Both sides of the street, all parking lots, past the Dairy Queen, were jammed with people. We drove from Dilworth and saw the same up and down Kings, all around the Metropolitan project, cars in the medians and hills of 277, and they say people were downtown. I knew of 2 or 3 rooftop parties in Fourth Ward. These were just the areas we drove through. Combine with the fact that we were stuck in traffic for over and hour to get from Elizabeth to Dilworth -- I think that number seems rather random and low. If 25,000 people can jam our streets like that....

Archived