Which city in the South has the best airport? (in your opinion)

soverbey

Best Airport?  

119 members have voted

1. 1. Memphis

• Jackson, MS
    • New Orleans
    • Birmingham
    • Atlanta
    • Miami
    • Orlando
    • Tampa
    • Jacksonville
    • Charlotte
    • Nashville

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That was true 25 years ago when Eastern Airlines dominated flying in the Southeast, but today that is no longer the case. You really only need to go through Atlanta if you are on Delta. I actually haven't flown through Atlanta in years because mainly I fly on USAir, Continental and United.

It has been about 15 years since I flew thru there. I too strictly fly US Air (Chairman) and thats why I love Charlotte/Douglas so much.

Tay ...That is a sweet looking rendering you found. I really like the design

I voted for Nashville's airport, mainly b/c it is easy to get around. I've always used Nashville for flights; I don't think I've ever used Huntsville International. Another good airport is Orlando; very confusing, but at least it looks nice. I've never been to the other airports, though I will be flying to Charlotte next month for an overseas flight.

EDIT: I've been to Atlanta, but its been a long time so I don't remember much about it.

I do a lot of flying between SW FL and Boston... therefore passing through a lot of airports as connectors.

My favorite is RSW (Southwest Florida International - Fort Myers - FL). The old terminal had hit double it's operating capacity when they started building the new one next door. It opened last year. Everything is new and there is a large amount of parking. Plenty of restaurants and shops. Very open and light.

The airport served 7.5 million passengers last year and continues to grow. They are already planning more expansion by the end of the decade. I just hope they are able to keep their efficency with the growing population and number of visitors.

I will say though, the fact that Hartsfield handled 88.89 million passengers last year is impressive. I have had my problems and have had missed connections there but that kind of traffic is almost unimaginable.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Which city in the South do you believe has the best airport?

- in terms of delays and how long you get in and out

- restaurants/services

- parking

- etc...etc..etc.

Based on these criteria, I think I'll go for GSP. I've never been delayed, parking is cheap and across the street from the terminal, and there are never crowds in the terminals. They even have trees and grass outside the front door. The restaurant is OK for breakfast. I always get the omlet...

The only other Airports I've flown from are ATL and Memphis. ATL is crowded. "Efficient" is the adjective that comes to mind. I went to pick up my wife once; I was early and her flight was delayed. I walked to all the terminals instead of taking the subway, and looked at all the shops. Very nice -- kind of like a mall, but without the kids. You can't do that now, because you can't go out to the terminals without a boarding pass.

The only thing I remember about Memphis was getting a screwdriver for breakfast to finish off a horrible trip.

Where's Memphis? We get 11 million passengers a year. That beats some of the cities on the list. Its got a great layout. A nice big terminal, and the biggest money maker and job provider in Tennessee. It's the busiest airport in the World at night(thanks to FedEx), and 27th busiest overall. Who the heck would put Jackson Mississippi on here and not Memphis anyway.

• 1 month later...

I've been to quite a few of those airports on the list, and Tampa wins hands down with Orlando being a close second, in terms of layout and ease of use and efficiency of their facilities.

When you drive into Tampa Airport, the main short-term parking is located right on top of the Terminal. The terminals are color coded ('Red' and 'Blue') rather than by letter, number or direction. Elevators swoop you right down into the main terminal, and the Arrivals, Tickets, and Departure levels are separate from each other, which cuts down on intermingling foot traffic in the Landside Terminal (a MAJOR pet peeve of mine at say, Atlanta Airport). And instead of a long walk down a concourse, a shuttle train takes you to your Terminal, and there is minimal walking to your gate. Also, the security checkpoint is in each Concourse, rather than in the terminal itself. Orlando, on the other hand has the security checkpoints in the terminal.

Also, TIA's signage is easy to read, making the airport easy to navigate around in.

OIA beats TIA in terms of Restaurants and shopping, but it is a far busier Airport than TIA. Parking is a bit more of a pain, but you have more options here than you do at TIA.

Atlanta has a great layout if your changing planes, but it is hell if your leaving from Atlanta itself, rather than just changing through. One security checkpoint for six concourses! Also, the Concourses are narrow and crowded. Whoever designed the airport really should have considered making the councourses wider to install moving sidewalks.

Why aren't Dallas, Houston, Memphis or Raleigh on here?

This guy nailed it for TPA. I work for an airline and travel A LOT... I must say Tampa is the nicest airport i've been to thus far.... Whoever thinks Atlanta is the best, have you seriously ever been there? Yeah they are the worlds busiest and it is also the most frustrating to deal with as far as delays and customer service goes.... I have never traveled to Chicago or New York, but they cant be any worse than ATL... The hub for our airline is in ATL and I hate whenever i have to fly through there and transfer planes... If anyone enjoys the ATL airport, you must be on some serious drugs.

I really like DFW. In my opinion it's a very easy airport to connect through. If your an American Airlines fan its even better! I've only flown in two the airport twice and both times the weather was nice, so there weren't any delays, so I have no thought on operations and delays.

ATL is a fun airport to fly into if you love aviation, however if you just like to get in and out and back on your way, its not exactly paridise as delays can be very long.

I really dislike Atlanta's airport. It is dirty and the customer service at the restaurants/shops are horrible.

I've been there many times, but last month was the worst.

I was waiting in line at a fast food chinese restaurant in the food court and the employee would not serve the lady in front of me what she wanted b/c she couldn't "break up the combo" It was the stupidest thing ever. As for me, they ran out of rice and I had to wait. What kind of chinese restaurant runs out of rice???

I also got gay-bashed (verbally, not physically) in the Delta Crown Room this same trip.

I really dislike Atlanta's airport. It is dirty and the customer service at the restaurants/shops are horrible.

I've been there many times, but last month was the worst.

I was waiting in line at a fast food chinese restaurant in the food court and the employee would not serve the lady in front of me what she wanted b/c she couldn't "break up the combo" It was the stupidest thing ever. As for me, they ran out of rice and I had to wait. What kind of chinese restaurant runs out of rice???

I also got gay-bashed (verbally, not physically) in the Delta Crown Room this same trip.

That's surprising. Besides Huntsville International Airport, ATL has been the easiest for me to navigate. I found it very easy to get between all the terminals/concourses/gates and whatnot. I had no problems. The staff was very friendly, and the shops were clean, and the employees attentive. I've never had any of the experiences you've listed. Not to say it hasn't happened, just never in my experience.

Sorry about the bashing, I still don't know why people can't accept people for who they are. I get tired of people taking advantage of me because I have depression, so, I sorta kinda know where you're coming from.

But anyways, ATL isn't the best airport I've been to. That award, IMO, still belongs to HSV.

• 5 weeks later...

Archived