How does the rest of the state view Spartanburg?

emo

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think that Spartanburg does have an image, at least historically, as a dirty industrial town. And to be fair, it has been that, and to some extent it still is. Also, whether we like it or not, people judge us by what they see on the interstate, and my guess is that is what most people's knowledge is unless they actually are from Spartanburg or went go to college here (note that the only Spartanburg school to participate was Converse, which has something like 1000 - 1500 students I think? Its not very many). Anyway, the old 85 is extremely industrial and dirty looking. The new 85 is still largely undeveloped.

Think about the impact on passers by (wow 6 lanes and nothing happening? this must be how far Greenville extends). Then think about what Greenville has on the interstate. Its larger glass buildings, hotels etc. Its not that we don't have these things, but that they are not as visible, and that is key.

Also, we really don't have the much entertainment for college students (e.g. a bar district). Bars/entertainment and restaurants are what they want. Downtown needs to become that mix of college student oriented businesses and CBD activities as well. Growing up in Spartanburg I always heard a few people people refer to it as boring, and that they wanted to leave... though all of my friends and me like the town and would prefer to stay. I think it helps to spend time in the City to appreciate it. I also think that as the 4th largest city (urban area) that we need to start thinking about this type of image, and work to improve it.

What I dont understand is how anyone could think that Spartanburg is boring and Clemson is not? That really blows my mind.

I was talking with someone in Clemson not long ago, and he contended that there are really 3 major players in the Upstate: Greenville, Clemson, and Anderson. Naturally I was a bit offended at the ignorance of this remark, as nobody considers Clemson (as a community) important at the level of Spartanburg, though it does have extreme importance at other levels, but thats off topic.

Spartanburg also does not have that much opportunity for professional careers. Yeah we just landed a 1300 job facility, but how many positions are mid-level, mangagement, administrative? Our corporate environment is friendly I think, but we don't have the draw that we should have. Fortunately people like Gorge dean Johnson are forward thinking enough to plan some buildings to draw them in. It also plays back to the amenities that we have... the more the better and the stronger we will be.

Anyway, my personal opinion is that this negative view is changing for most people (except maybe Greenvillians). This is especially true as people venture downtown and see how things have changed and the direction that the city in general is moving. Things are still low as far as our image goes, but I do think it is going steadily up.

I think that Spartanburg does have an image, at least historically, as a dirty industrial town. And to be fair, it has been that, and to some extent it still is. Also, whether we like it or not, people judge us by what they see on the interstate, and my guess is that is what most people's knowledge is unless they actually are from Spartanburg or went go to college here (note that the only Spartanburg school to participate was Converse, which has something like 1000 - 1500 students I think? Its not very many). Anyway, the old 85 is extremely industrial and dirty looking. The new 85 is still largely undeveloped.

Think about the impact on passers by (wow 6 lanes and nothing happening? this must be how far Greenville extends). Then think about what Greenville has on the interstate. Its larger glass buildings, hotels etc. Its not that we don't have these things, but that they are not as visible, and that is key.

Also, we really don't have the much entertainment for college students (e.g. a bar district). Bars/entertainment and restaurants are what they want. Downtown needs to become that mix of college student oriented businesses and CBD activities as well. Growing up in Spartanburg I always heard a few people people refer to it as boring, and that they wanted to leave... though all of my friends and me like the town and would prefer to stay. I think it helps to spend time in the City to appreciate it. I also think that as the 4th largest city (urban area) that we need to start thinking about this type of image, and work to improve it.

What I dont understand is how anyone could think that Spartanburg is boring and Clemson is not? That really blows my mind.

I was talking with someone in Clemson not long ago, and he contended that there are really 3 major players in the Upstate: Greenville, Clemson, and Anderson. Naturally I was a bit offended at the ignorance of this remark, as nobody considers Clemson (as a community) important at the level of Spartanburg, though it does have extreme importance at other levels, but thats off topic.

Spartanburg also does not have that much opportunity for professional careers. Yeah we just landed a 1300 job facility, but how many positions are mid-level, mangagement, administrative? Our corporate environment is friendly I think, but we don't have the draw that we should have. Fortunately people like Gorge dean Johnson are forward thinking enough to plan some buildings to draw them in. It also plays back to the amenities that we have... the more the better and the stronger we will be.

Anyway, my personal opinion is that this negative view is changing for most people (except maybe Greenvillians). This is especially true as people venture downtown and see how things have changed and the direction that the city in general is moving. Things are still low as far as our image goes, but I do think it is going steadily up.

All good points Spartan.

It wasn't that long ago that upon leaving Spartanburg for Atlanta via I-85 you would never know Greenville existed. Development along 85 in Greenville was pretty sparse. The I-85 and Pelham area, for instance, was completely undeveloped. The big industrial plant where The Point now sits was the most prominent landmark.

Before long Spartanburg's growth will creep toward the new I-85. We're already seeing some promise near the new Echostar facility and there's lots of potential around the highway 9 area. I expect the I-85 and highway 9 interchange to be a major node of retail and commercial development.

As for downtown, the bars and restaurants will come. And, for those who think downtown Spartanburg is boring they should have seen it when I went to college!

The BMW plant does that to a certain extent, but most people associate it with Greenville. That's probably because it's very near/on the Greenville/Spartanburg County line and that's where development starts to pick up (heading into Greenville County) or end (heading into Spartanburg County).

Anyway, I know that those things are important for the sake of visibility, but I would hope that downtown would see most of these developments before the I-85 corridor. Also, doesn't I-85 run closer to Greenville's downtown than Spartanburg's? If that's the case, then certain projects located along I-85 in Greenville (eg, ICAR, Millenium Campus) could be classified as "edge infill," whereas for Spartanburg it would really be nothing more than sprawl (as some of Greenville's is).

Also, we really don't have the much entertainment for college students (e.g. a bar district). Bars/entertainment and restaurants are what they want. Downtown needs to become that mix of college student oriented businesses and CBD activities as well.
Excellent point. The market is certainly there.

OK, Greenville: understandable. I don't know how Clemson snuck in there, but since it's the home of a major SC university and gives the state a lot of press, I'll give him that. But ANDERSON? More important than Spartanburg? You've GOTTA be kidding me.

Greenville's downtown isnt really any closer than Spartanburg's to 85, in fact it may be further away. The difference is that 385 empties out into downtown Greenville, and 585 empties out into the north side of town, when in reality it could extend further into downtown Spartanburg.

OK. But still, I wouldn't want Spartanburg's situation to be where developments along the interstate rival downtown development, which is where Greenville seems to be headed. Of course, I'd like to see a few things locate along the I-85 corridor, but nothing that could feasibly go downtown, have an urban impact, and help to densify the urban core. I guess this demonstrates the downside of the interstate system in SC--it doesn't show off our cities to the extent that it does for other cities in other states because the interstates run through their cities.

OK. But still, I wouldn't want Spartanburg's situation to be where developments along the interstate rival downtown development, which is where Greenville seems to be headed. Of course, I'd like to see a few things locate along the I-85 corridor, but nothing that could feasibly go downtown, have an urban impact, and help to densify the urban core. I guess this demonstrates the downside of the interstate system in SC--it doesn't show off our cities to the extent that it does for other cities in other states because the interstates run through their cities.

Unfortunately I think we are already moving in that same direction. Greenville's MAJOR advantage is that the city has annexed out to 85, so they can control the development that is happenning out there. Spartanburg could annex more around 26 if it wanted, but 85 is likely out of reach. Infact, the old 85 is probably out of reach for the most part.

Yeah they are still in talks about consolidation, but I wouldnt expect that to go very far. Its an extremely complicated process, and Spartanburg has one of the most complex political arrangements... but thats in the consolidation thread if you want to discuss that more.

As for Greenville? I dont know. I know that Spartanburg annexes, but its not much.

• 3 months later...
The BMW plant does that to a certain extent, but most people associate it with Greenville. That's probably because it's very near/on the Greenville/Spartanburg County line and that's where development starts to pick up (heading into Greenville County) or end (heading into Spartanburg County).

Anyway, I know that those things are important for the sake of visibility, but I would hope that downtown would see most of these developments before the I-85 corridor. Also, doesn't I-85 run closer to Greenville's downtown than Spartanburg's? If that's the case, then certain projects located along I-85 in Greenville (eg, ICAR, Millenium Campus) could be classified as "edge infill," whereas for Spartanburg it would really be nothing more than sprawl (as some of Greenville's is).

Excellent point. The market is certainly there.

OK, Greenville: understandable. I don't know how Clemson snuck in there, but since it's the home of a major SC university and gives the state a lot of press, I'll give him that. But ANDERSON? More important than Spartanburg? You've GOTTA be kidding me.

I've only recently moved to Spartanburg, so maybe I can give you an outside view of why Anderson. For a lot of people, the Jockey Lot is a draw to SC. I'm from Georgia and for the longest time, Anderson WAS South Carolina to me.

It's different now. I've been all over the state and see things differently. I can tell you that one of the prettiest stretches of road is in Spartanburg. I first came here in the spring and all those trees in full bloom heading out to Target, was MOST impressive!

I've only recently moved to Spartanburg, so maybe I can give you an outside view of why Anderson. For a lot of people, the Jockey Lot is a draw to SC. I'm from Georgia and for the longest time, Anderson WAS South Carolina to me.

It's different now. I've been all over the state and see things differently. I can tell you that one of the prettiest stretches of road is in Spartanburg. I first came here in the spring and all those trees in full bloom heading out to Target, was MOST impressive!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Yeah i go down there to the jockey lot(flea market) every now and then and see if i can find anything. I can find some good deals on tools sometimes, but you have to watch it cause some things might be stolen. I also like the Pickens flea market.

I don't know about the state, but apparantly the country views Spartanburg as a huge Republican stronghold in the state. The number of candidates already coming through is amazing and it was great watching all the national news networks talking about the straw poll yesterday. However,one time I saw the city mispelled Spartansburg. Oh well.

I don't know about the state, but apparantly the country views Spartanburg as a huge Republican stronghold in the state. The number of candidates already coming through is amazing and it was great watching all the national news networks talking about the straw poll yesterday.

Archived