Route 11 Extension to I-95

damus

http://www.theday.com/re.aspx?re=154b65bd-...4c-9226cbfe5a21

The coming year could be critical in determining whether Route 11 will finally be extended, giving travelers an alternative to congested Route 85 with its high accident rates.

On the drawing board for nearly a decade now, the project calls for construction of an 8.5-mile, four-lane arterial roadway that would extend Route 11 from its terminus in Salem to Interstate 395.

And while the $455 million project is not named specifically in a $2.3 billion transportation bill passed last week by the state of House of Representatives, the bill does authorize the State Bond Commission to approve funding for already identified transportation improvement projects. Route 11 is on that list. The bill is expected to be approved by the Senate and signed into law by the governor.

The last three miles of the proposed new roadway, passing through Waterford and East Lyme, includes some of the last undeveloped land in southeastern Connecticut. The rugged and hard-to-access terrain is rich in wildlife, natural resources and archaeological significance.

Finally, now if more people would only start talking about finishing the route 2 expressway this area can start building the infrastructure it's gonna need if this Utopia thing ever comes along.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://www.theday.com/re.aspx?re=154b65bd-...4c-9226cbfe5a21

Finally, now if more people would only start talking about finishing the route 2 expressway this area can start building the infrastructure it's gonna need if this Utopia thing ever comes along.

Now this is what will really connect Downtown Hartford to Downtown New London. I hate going to New London now and getting off at the end of 11 and driving forever through the countryside. It's beautiful scenery, but I've seen it. I just want to get to NL faster.

• 2 years later...

Article in the Courant this morning says another 5 million dollars has been allocated to the completion of Route 11.

The overall price tag is about 100 times the amount... but it's apparently a start. Unfortunately for those who got affected by the water main break last weekend and the general hell Route 85 is... it's not enough.

Until work crews actually get out there and start clearing the way for the highway, is this all just hype?

I recently heard former ConnDOT Commissioner Emil Frankel give a talk. He believes that Route 11 is a big waste of money. The road is only projected to have about 20,000 vehicles per day (which is not a lot of vehicles) on it and will cost hundreds of millions to construct. He feels that there are more important projects that will serve a lot more vehiles that need this money. hard to disagree with that, but Route 11 would complete an important link in the State's expressway system. It will be interesting to see if it ever gets built. Jay

I recently heard former ConnDOT Commissioner Emil Frankel give a talk. He believes that Route 11 is a big waste of money. The road is only projected to have about 20,000 vehicles per day (which is not a lot of vehicles) on it and will cost hundreds of millions to construct. He feels that there are more important projects that will serve a lot more vehiles that need this money. hard to disagree with that, but Route 11 would complete an important link in the State's expressway system. It will be interesting to see if it ever gets built. Jay

• 3 months later...

Jay,

I'm new to this forum and couldn't figure out how to send you a msg (I keep getting an error msg back) ... but am interested in where and when that Frankel talk was. Feel free to answer here or to send me an email.

Thanks,

Karin

Archived