McKay Tower Renovations

GRDadof3

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There have been other periods in the past when they've lit it up---and it always was half-assed, missing rows of bulbs. From where I live now I can see it every night and was happy this past Fall when it went on and stayed on. I thought "Good. They must plan to finally fix it" now that downtown is evolving. But no. Not so far. Imagine: "Yes, I just bought a $300,000 condo downtown! Look for the building with the half-assed lit dome on the top!"

• 2 months later...

I noticed tonight for the first time that they finally replaced a bunch of the burned out lights on the top of McKay. Pretty cool they got around to it. The dome now acutally looks like it is supposed to be there. Now it looks like it fits in the night skyline.

I noticed tonight for the first time that they finally replaced a bunch of the burned out lights on the top of McKay. Pretty cool they got around to it. The dome now acutally looks like it is supposed to be there. Now it looks like it fits in the night skyline.

I admit it looks nice lit up at night, but what about the day skyline? :dontknow:

It has that unfinished look about it. Rather like someone was building something but stopped and then it fell into disrepair and half collapsed and then scrap metal thieves stripped it down..

Yes, it looks nice from my windows now. Too bad too. I live in Cherry Tree Court Apartments (to be demolished or moved somehow this summer) and I will have to relocate and lose my view!

• 2 months later...
  • 3 years later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Nice! Are the lights going to light up the whole building or just up to the "new addition"? 

Joe

Not sure. Trying to find the original email and I'm not finding it. The rooftop lights are being worked on right now.

• 1 month later...

The lights on the rooftop are up. Has anyone seen them live?

http://www.mlive.com/business/west-michigan/index.ssf/2013/08/see_the_bright_new_lights_on_t.html

^^^ Don't miss the link, not sure why UP is doing that to the links. ^^^

Yep. I pedal through DT almost nightly. The testing commenced as early as July 1, with a solid red glow. On July 3, the display was static, with the tip in red, and the dome blue with white twinklers.

Last night I rode up Monroe from Sixth Street, with a clear view of the changing lights. It's not exactly like a changeable reader board at a stadium or a car wash...the color shifts are more subtle, evolving every minute. Fun to see, and a nice addition to the cityscape.

Archived