Chandeliers Art Project

dmccall

Back to the chandeliers, they look ok, and I know that most everyone hear is probably more into modern structures but I would prefer to see more tradional artwork in downtown. I think that it is a sign of a larger citie that they have "arrived" when they have ornate, (read European), statues and fountains. Don't get me wrong we do need to make Raleigh a bit different, to let others know "who we are" if you will. I just think that Raleigh already has a theme going and it is the City of Oaks. Also isn't Larry Wheeler behind these chandeliers? I ask this because everything he wants to build out at the NC Museum of Art is modern. :D

Personally, I would like to see the two incorporated. The area is a high-tech region and the modernism fits in well IMO. I would still like to see more European flairs or traditional things such as fountains and statues to reflect on the history and significance as the state capital. I think the City of Oaks them can be addressed by lining Fayetteville Street with oak trees. The state capitol and the performing art center are both classical structures and I think the pedistal and columns of these chandeliers complement this. I don't know, I think they will be a great addition to downtown.

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hmm, I like the oak tree idea, but it's probably not feasible considering the space they would take up along the sidewalk once they reached maturity. I think they are planting something much tidier--for lack of a better word--in order to preserve the view from the Progress Center to the Capitol, which was part of the intent for rebuilding the street in the first place.

Hmm, I like the oak tree idea, but it's probably not feasible considering the space they would take up along the sidewalk once they reached maturity. I think they are planting something much tidier--for lack of a better word--in order to preserve the view from the Progress Center to the Capitol, which was part of the intent for rebuilding the street in the first place.

I think it would look cool with the oak tree arms reaching over the street but your point is well taken. Maybe they can find a smaller variety of oak tree that would work.

I think it would look cool with the oak tree arms reaching over the street but your point is well taken. Maybe they can find a smaller variety of oak tree that would work.

I like Oaks myself too, and downtown has many on Hillsborough and Blount Street that I can remember right off. I think Fayetteville St is getting some sort of locust tree but really have no idea.

Because they are not going for ordinary with Fayetteville Street. I bet they will look better in person.

They probably will look better in person, but I am a fan of contemporary architecture, and all the acoutrements, that is influenced by its surroundings. These light posts are schizophrenic: while they laudably draw from the two buildings bookending Fayetteville St. for part of the design (the bases), they completely depart from that on the business (top) end. Why? I just think they look ridiculously out of place.

Also, part of the significance of this project is that, in effect, it a historical restoration of the street. I haven't seen any photos of lamp posts that may have lined Fayetteville St. back in the day, but they certainly didn't look like that. I agree with Rooster: redolent of Time + Light.

• 4 weeks later...

Looks like there will be public comment on the chandeliers this coming Tuesday. I might swing by there and see if they have an actual one i can see.

Public Comment on Fay. St. Chandeliers

I know this probably isn't realistic but it would be nice if they could have, as an option, one of the orignal acorn lamps that they were going to use on Fayetteville Street to compare the new ones to? It would be nice to see both so that the public can have a better comparison. I'm a visual person anyway. :)

Just watched the video from the Fayetteville St reconstruction in the Livable Streets section and it does not show the lights or any lights at all. Is this just an oversite or was the Video made before the light design? It does show multiple park benches and 2-3 foot water shooting out between the sidewalk and the Street. The homeless now have another amenity.Bed and Bath.

well i find it hard to believe some rainbow colored streetlights would attract gay people, as I'm sure they are not going to position Fayetteville Street as a "gay district" in Raleigh. I'm not sure what Larry Wheeler was trying to get at, but I'll find out on Tuesday I suppose.

Yeah we already have a block of Hargett w/ our 2 clubs and an adult gay vid store.....Too bad Flex is a few blocks away and not right with the other 2....now if they could just move the Goodwillish type store somewhere and attract a gay themed non adult store of some sort that would be cool, but this is Raleigh so I suppose we take what we can get....

I doubt that many people would see the lights on Fayetteville St and associate them with gay....

Yeah we already have a block of Hargett w/ our 2 clubs and an adult gay vid store.....Too bad Flex is a few blocks away and not right with the other 2....now if they could just move the Goodwillish type store somewhere and attract a gay themed non adult store of some sort that would be cool, but this is Raleigh so I suppose we take what we can get....

I doubt that many people would see the lights on Fayetteville St and associate them with gay....

You forgot about White Rabbit on Martin, and there is a new clothing store open beside White Rabbit that looks like they sell mostly womens clothing. I don't know, however, if that store is gay owned.

I didn't think gay either though when I seen the Chandeliers. It just looks like a vibrant addition to the streetscapes, and I think they will help attract people to Fayetteville St. because they will be so colorful and probably visible from a couple blocks east or west.

No. I completely didn't see them as a gay symbol at all for a long long time. I think they are fantastic, and don't think that Larry needs to use this angle to sell them to the community. He'd be better off avoiding the whole point of these being a cultural symbol. That was my point.

Where did you get the idea that Mr. Wheeler was trying to sell them as gay symbols? just curious

The whole Triangles and Rainbows thing probably. I think as long as the colors aren't dramatic, just a slight tint to make the streets more interesting, they'll be fine.

Where did you get the idea that Mr. Wheeler was trying to sell them as gay symbols? just curious

This is second hand, mind you. It was when he was talking to the City Council. I have to make sure that I said that the point was NOT overtly made, as if "Hey these are great lights because they symbolize our love of gay unity and acceptance." It wasn't that at all. Just a mention of the intangible symbolism of having colors reflected.

Like I said, they are just flat out cool and different, and he really doesn't need to go into the abstract symbolism that a few may actually pick up on to sell the idea. The funny thing is that I certainly didn't get that when I saw the renderings, and I don't think that most of us saw it that way, either.

This meeting tomorrow night (6:30) should be fun. I'm really eager to see what the mood is.

This is a fun time to be obcessed with downtown, for sure!

Archived