Grand Rapids Then and Now

6th Gen local

1 hour ago, Floyd_Z said:

The entire Ottawa Hills neighborhood used to be a golf course as well.  There was a streetcar that went down Franklin that you could take to get there.  I wonder how long it will be until Ken Country Club FINALLY sells to a developer.  That property has so much potential and an awesome location.

Not going to happen anytime soon. I know a few members, they have doubled the number of members in the last few years. That place is booming.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Pattmost20 said:

Not going to happen anytime soon. I know a few members, they have doubled the number of members in the last few years. That place is booming.

I think it’s a great place for a golf course. I hope it stays that way (they could help the neighborhood aesthetics a bit with new fencing though). I like the history of that course. Not a golfer, never physically been there. 

Joe

On 7/4/2022 at 11:01 AM, Floyd_Z said:

The entire Ottawa Hills neighborhood used to be a golf course as well.  There was a streetcar that went down Franklin that you could take to get there.  I wonder how long it will be until Ken Country Club FINALLY sells to a developer.  That property has so much potential and an awesome location.

I don't see that happening anytime soon.  They have invested a ton into the course/clubhouse and membership has increased with an influx of young members over the last 5 years.

• 1 month later...

Great photos. My highlight: The towers building on Michigan (and the fact that it, and it's suburban parking lot are gone).

Low light. That BEAUTIFUL stone being removed from 65 Monroe Center. That developer was off his meds. He could have retained the stone and added the additional floors without it looking much different (only better). :) What a waste.

Joe

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

It's cold. You're stuck inside. Why not go through some old burned CDs from 2006.

Near the corner of Wealthy and S. Division.

PICT0409.thumb.JPG.11a7e2b95e37207bc6f2282fe8eebd6a.JPG

Heartside buildings along S. Division

PICT0430.thumb.JPG.e1b6631d36a177f2e7503e6019006710.JPG

Corner of S. Division and McConnel

PICT0422.thumb.JPG.277d92cc8acefe8b8f708b0c8be7d260.JPG

Where the side patio of the Winchester is located now.

PICT0308.thumb.JPG.69a42de532939771d5ca7a4b7097f813.JPG

Looking east at Ionia and Cherry.

PICT0346.thumb.JPG.b5d7468c77cc61ceb620832d34652e50.JPG

Old storefront in the "peacock building" on E. Fulton and Jefferson.

PICT0325.thumb.JPG.8d7da6f78cfd48c7a53ffb73e6fcd061.JPG

walk.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 months later...
On 7/4/2022 at 11:01 AM, Guest said:

. . . I wonder how long it will be until Kent Country Club FINALLY sells to a developer.  That property has so much potential and an awesome location.

On 7/4/2022 at 12:21 PM, Pattmost20 said:

Thought of these old posts when I read this article today about the improvements to Kent Country Club:

WOODTV: Renovations Modernizing Kent Country Club Dining Area and Patio

6 hours ago, walker said:

Thought of these old posts when I read this article today about the improvements to Kent Country Club:

WOODTV: Renovations Modernizing Kent Country Club Dining Area and Patio

I went to their restaurant for the first time this winter. Food was good, but definitely could use some modern updates. 

5 hours ago, Pattmost20 said:

I went to their restaurant for the first time this winter. Food was good, but definitely could use some modern updates. 

I'm glad it is doing well and they're actively upgrading (it's a beautiful historic building). I was surprised that they only have 400 members. I've always heard that the membership is $$$$, but can't imagine how much it most cost each member in fees each year to keep a course like that afloat!

Joe

1 hour ago, joeDowntown said:

I'm glad it is doing well and they're actively upgrading (it's a beautiful historic building). I was surprised that they only have 400 members. I've always heard that the membership is $$$$, but can't imagine how much it most cost each member in fees each year to keep a course like that afloat!

Joe

I want to say it is under $10k to join, and I think it is a few grand a year. They do get you with mandatory monthly minimums you have to spend at their restaurant. I don't golf so I'd have no interest in joining, but I know probably 5 or 6 of the members there and they all seem to enjoy it.

Looks so jarring, but familiar/normal at the same time.

A lot of Leonard still looks vaguely the same. Alpine out by Fruit Basket Flowerland just looks alien compared to today.

And you have to give it to the cameraman. He wasnt holding some cellphone, kids! He was rocking a beefy VHS camcorder that must have been a bear to just aim without fully knowing where it was pointing (with no side LCD displays back then), while steering and not losing his cigarette. LOL!

• Like 2

Great video! Biggest takeaway is that GR was just...smaller. Alpine was basically rural beyond 96. Downtown ended abruptly after just a few blocks. The freeways seem overbuilt and incongruous.

More specific observations - ugly-ass traffic lights downtown, Fulton Street looking completely desolate, and Butterworth feeling tiny, disconnected from downtown, and almost suburban. Grand Center and the Hall of Justice were smaller and uglier than I remember.

And what was that building at the southeast corner of Lyon and Monroe? Looks like it doesn't have any windows?

Edited by Khorasaurus1
  • Like 1

• 11 months later...

I thought this article was behind a paywall but I guess not.  My sister e-mailed me this link and I can read it just fine.

It's about the old Romana Park amusement park that was operated by the trolley company and later by the bus company where Gaslight Village is now just west of Reeds Lake.  My parents took my sister and me there a few times in its waning days in the early fifties.  Despite what the article says, I don't think they operated the roller coaster the last few years.  I can remember my father saying it was condemned, maybe that's just what he wanted me to think.

MLIVE: Ramona Park

DerbyRacer-RomonaPark.png.a6d8d50befc7536c687aaf629977e046.png 

Edited by walker
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...