East Joyce Developments in Fayetteville

Mith242

I propose we rename Joyce Boulevard "E. Fay Jones Boulevard" to honor our most famous local architect. My inspiration for this is Scottsdale's "Frank Lloyd Wright Blvd".

I think it would be a great tribute, and I've never liked the name Joyce anyway.

I would like some street named after E Fay Jones. I'm not sure where the name Joyce came from. It wasn't named after someone with the last name of Joyce that had any local ties was it? I was guessing it was more randomly picked for some reason. I'm not sure who decides the names of the streets we have. With new subdivisions and such I guess the developers tend to pick them out.

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If its different in different places, but one way of doing it is having developers provide a list of preferred names. Those names are checked against the Master Street Addressing Guide (MSAG) and checked for other general requirements (nothing lude, no French words that a dispatcher would have problems pronouncing, etc). If that works then go with it. One could write an entire essay on addressing theory (thats lame even typing that).

If its different in different places, but one way of doing it is having developers provide a list of preferred names. Those names are checked against the Master Street Addressing Guide (MSAG) and checked for other general requirements (nothing lude, no French words that a dispatcher would have problems pronouncing, etc). If that works then go with it. One could write an entire essay on addressing theory (thats lame even typing that).

Thanks for the info. :D

• 11 months later...

Here's a new project going up off East Joyce. This right behind the shopping center where Barnes and Noble is and you can see the Lindsey Building in the distance. I remember posting something about Lindsey have9ing plans for a complex with residences on the top two floors and commercial on the ground floor in this area- this might be it.

DSC_0305.jpg

Thanks for the pic. Even though I've been over in that area I guess I haven't noticed the construction going on.

I noticed this when I crested the hill at Milsap the other day. Looks like its a repeat of what Lindsey did down off MLK, only this one appears to be somewhat better situated to succeed.

I really think something like this would be great in the area north of the U of A campus. Those ground floor spots would make great places for coffee shops or sandwich shops, and that area has the biggest pedestrian population in the city.

Nevertheless, GREAT to see something besides the same old apartment complex going up in town.

I noticed this when I crested the hill at Milsap the other day. Looks like its a repeat of what Lindsey did down off MLK, only this one appears to be somewhat better situated to succeed.

I really think something like this would be great in the area north of the U of A campus. Those ground floor spots would make great places for coffee shops or sandwich shops, and that area has the biggest pedestrian population in the city.

Nevertheless, GREAT to see something besides the same old apartment complex going up in town.

Yes, I agree. This is probably the easiest way to create affordable mixed used developments that will help cut down on traffic and provide for more pedestrian use. If you can just walk downstairs in your same complex and eat out, rent a video, etc. it means less need to build more and wider streets for vehicles.

Yes, I agree. This is probably the easiest way to create affordable mixed used developments that will help cut down on traffic and provide for more pedestrian use. If you can just walk downstairs in your same complex and eat out, rent a video, etc. it means less need to build more and wider streets for vehicles.

It sounds great, but after attempting to do precisely that and failing at their Southern View complex, I'd be surprised if Lindsey is attempting to do that again so quickly. In the long run it might be a good idea, but none of the retail space in Southern View II filled and they ended up changing them into some sort of extended-stay suites. If they could actually find vendors willing to experiment with a spot in their mixed-use apartment communities, then I think it's a fantastic idea. Otherwise, I fear any new complex with a similar design to Southern View (and similarly bad access/streetscape) will suffer the same fate and be destined for mediocrity instead of being a good example of a mixed use complex.

Great points.

I don't think the structural design of these is so much the problem as the locations. They need to be located within a grid of other streets. Lindsey still thinks in terms of "apartment complex" rather than mixed-use development. If there was a feel of entering a "neighborhood" to do business rather than entering an "apartment complex", I think his retail spaces would do a lot better.

For example:

The Greens and Lakeside Village. That apartment complex is completely cut off from the rest of the city that surrounds it. There could have been a way for it, and these newer ones, to be designed with the street grid in mind. People already try to use the Greens streets to cut through to get to Sunbridge from Drake, so a main boulevard through that "complex" connecting Sunbridge and Drake could have done wonders. It could have been lined with ground-floor retail and office units. I don't see how those rental office suites, etc could have been much less desireable than those on Sunbridge (which stay full).

I understand the advantages to a complex as opposed to a mixed use development. Security is one. Traffic safety is another.

As bad as I view most of Lindsey's other developments in this city, I'll cut him a little slack for at least trying to get the idea of mixed-use rather than ignoring it altogether.

Unfortunately, Lindsey is a bottom-line developer. He always has been. I think he may consider quality of life issues more and more now and into the future. Still, I think the mistakes he has built will still far outweigh any attempts at quality development.

The Links had the chance to be something special, but instead, its just another gigantic 1980s-style Lindsey development.

The only discouraging thing in my mind is that Lindsey will eventually give up and say "I tried mixed-use. Mixed-use doesn't work in Fayetteville" and demand that he continue making crappy, shut-off apartment complexes instead. He has made jabs at mixed-use, but he still doesn't seem to understand the concept.

Unfortunately, Lindsey is a bottom-line developer. He always has been. I think he may consider quality of life issues more and more now and into the future. Still, I think the mistakes he has built will still far outweigh any attempts at quality development.

The Links had the chance to be something special, but instead, its just another gigantic 1980s-style Lindsey development.

The only discouraging thing in my mind is that Lindsey will eventually give up and say "I tried mixed-use. Mixed-use doesn't work in Fayetteville" and demand that he continue making crappy, shut-off apartment complexes instead. He has made jabs at mixed-use, but he still doesn't seem to understand the concept.

Words right out of my mouth. Like you said, I guess it's good that he's at least attempted something. But he obviously doesn't get it.

• 1 month later...

I've seen some ground work being done behind the bank right across Joyce from the Post Office. Not sure if that bank (don't recall which bank that is right now) is expanding or if there's some other possible development that might be going in back there. It's very close to the Mudd Creek Trail, which is how I noticed it.

• 1 month later...

I've seen some ground work being done behind the bank right across Joyce from the Post Office. Not sure if that bank (don't recall which bank that is right now) is expanding or if there's some other possible development that might be going in back there. It's very close to the Mudd Creek Trail, which is how I noticed it.

The development is for a pediatric dental office, I believe.

• 6 months later...

The development is for a pediatric dental office, I believe.

Yeah I certainly the see pediatric aspect of it now. There are animal statues on the roof of the building and there's also a Razorback statue sitting on a bench right next to the Mud Creek trail. :lol:

Yeah I certainly the see pediatric aspect of it now. There are animal statues on the roof of the building and there's also a Razorback statue sitting on a bench right next to the Mud Creek trail. :lol:

That's great! The Hog on the bench is too funny- when I first saw it from a distance I thought what a big person sitting there...

Hopefully it won't be too inviting to mischief makers.

That's great! The Hog on the bench is too funny- when I first saw it from a distance I thought what a big person sitting there...

Hopefully it won't be too inviting to mischief makers.

Yeah, although the Mud Creek Trail seems to miss out on most of the vandalism. The Scull Creek Trail tends to get all the focus.

• 1 year later...

It looks like Liberty Bank is finally moving forward with it's plan to build a branch at the corner of Joyce and Vantage- there is a city planning department sign on the lot notifying of a large scale development for a 21,000 sq. ft. bank on the property.

Thanks for the update. Speaking of which, I never have gotten around to mentioning there's some small building that's been going up near that area right next to the Mud Creek Trail. Not really sure what's going in there, maybe a doctor's office or something along those lines. It's not very large whatever it is.

Thanks for the update. Speaking of which, I never have gotten around to mentioning there's some small building that's been going up near that area right next to the Mud Creek Trail. Not really sure what's going in there, maybe a doctor's office or something along those lines. It's not very large whatever it is.

It is a Hedberg Allergy Clinic, I believe.

• 3 months later...

View%20From%20SouthWest%20FINAL%20PS-3.jpg

Liberty Bank has broke ground on their new facility at the corner of Joyce and Vantage. It will be a two story 22,000 sq. ft. building. I'm curious as to how it will be placed on the property- the site lends itself to the front of the building facing the corner instead of directly towards Joyce. There is a creek running by the corner that might make for some interesting landscaping. Here is a rendering if I can get it to post.

View%20From%20SouthWest%20FINAL%20PS-3.jpg

Liberty Bank has broke ground on their new facility at the corner of Joyce and Vantage. It will be a two story 22,000 sq. ft. building. I'm curious as to how it will be placed on the property- the site lends itself to the front of the building facing the corner instead of directly towards Joyce. There is a creek running by the corner that might make for some interesting landscaping. Here is a rendering if I can get it to post.

Cool, thanks for the info. I was just by there yesterday but didn't notice. Guess I was to focused on the traffic light. :lol:

• 1 month later...

It has been slow in development news lately but there is some news along Joyce. The Liberty Bank site work is well under way and the creek I mentioned is being buried. Still no idea how the building will be placed on the property.

For anyone who uses Joyce it is down to 2 lanes in front on Butterfield Trail due to the outside lane being replaced. Makes for a long wait while they are there working on it so I'm taking 265 until it is finished.

It has been slow in development news lately but there is some news along Joyce. The Liberty Bank site work is well under way and the creek I mentioned is being buried. Still no idea how the building will be placed on the property.

For anyone who uses Joyce it is down to 2 lanes in front on Butterfield Trail due to the outside lane being replaced. Makes for a long wait while they are there working on it so I'm taking 265 until it is finished.

Yeah I've noticed the work has been moving forward when I pass by the area. But as you said, hard to tell how it be configured to that spot since all the work they're doing right now is basically underground work, rerouting the 'creek'.

Archived