Richmond Events

burt

They call it Richmond's lighted holiday boat parade on December 12th and 13th. The schedule is Saturday, noon to 9PM and Sunday, noon to 5PM. Thus, the lighted boats may be enjoyed between dusk and 9PM on Saturday, Dec. 12th, but the boat parade, unlighted I suppose, will shuffle up and down the river during daylight hours on both days.

I bet a quarter THE BOATHOUSE AT ROCKETTS LANDING will have packed houses Saturday night, 12/12 as well as during daylight hours on both days. Viewers may line up for free at the Rocketts Landing Marina as well as at other accessible riverside sites to enjoy this water spectacle.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I notice that the Radio City Christmas show featuring The Rockettes at The Coliseum has added a fourth show.

A group of us are seeing the final performance of "The Nutcracker" at The Carpenter Theatre at 2PM on December 23rd, having dinner somewhere, then catching the Radio City 7PM show at The Coliseum.

A friend dropped by the Coliseum Box office to buy tickets for the Dec. 23rd 7PM Radio City Christmas show and the best available were way over on the side in the nose-bleed section. That's one of the balconies in the rafters that were added several years ago.

Seats are advertised at $48.50 and $68.50, but at Ticketmaster they have a limited number ranging from $127 to $450, plus handling fees.

I wouldn't mind sitting way up in the nosebleed for $48.50 but my friend didn't buy them because she thought I might object.

Meanwhile, we got Nutcracker tickets for $51 each in the row just above the Golden Circle. They just happen to be the same seats we had for the Grand Opening of The Carpenter Theatre in September.

Price range for The Nutcracker is $30 to $125.

Check out Venture Richmond's calendar of Christmas-related events.

Go to this site http://www.venturerichmond.com/vrevents.html and scroll down just below the pictures to 2009 RIVER DISTRICT CELEBRATES ILLUMINATION EVENTS.

There is PLENTY to do for adults and kiddies. In fact, there is no way anybody could see everything planned between 6 and 7PM on December 4th. The James Center Illumination will probably be the scene of the biggest crowds, but just up the hill, the tree on the State Capitol portico will be ceremonially lit and activities will take place in Shockoe Bottom at the Farmers Market.

• 2 weeks later...

Next Saturday, December 5th, the Ukrop's-Supervalue Christmas Parade begins at 10AM in front of The Science Museum of Virginia (the former Broad Street Station) at West Broad and Davis Avenue and continues along West and East Broad to 7th Street opposite the Federal Court House, the National Theatre and Richmond Center Stage.

Members of the Harlem Globetrotters will lead marching units, floats, giant inflatables and more along the route.

Here is a listing of events and activities for the Christmas season from the RTD:

http://www2.timesdis...-144607/307861/

This video of The Grand Illumination provides a nice view of the new Williams Mullin Building although it is still unfinished and not lit up. But in one of the quick shots it looks as if a crooked strip of light climbs up the northeast corner of the small tower. Or am I seeing somethjing that doesn't exist? dontknow.gif

From today's RTD:

http://www2.timesdispatch.com/rtd/news/local/article/ILLU051_20091204-233802/309716/

• 4 weeks later...

There's been a lot of kvetching lately about the condition of Richmond Coliseum. I was there last Wednesday night to see the Rockettes in The Radio City Spectacular and considering the building's age (35 years or so) I thought it looked in very good shape. We were seated in the center of the top row of the highest balcony and had no difficulty hearing the amplified music, songs, tap dancing and dialogue from the immense stage set up at the eastern end of the arena.

It was truly a spectacular show with incredible effects, lighting, flying scenery and projections. Frankly, I was amazed at the quality of the touring production. And while it had only half the number of Rockettes as in the Radio City Musuc Hall extravaganza (18 instead of 36) their precision dancing was every bit as professional. My favorite numbers were when the girls kicked and danced in unison then climbed aboard a full-sized New York double-decker tour bus. The bus swivelled in all directions in front of crystal clear giant projections of Rockefeller Center, St. Patricks and 5th Avenue. And then there were the 20 or so Santas who morphed into 20 dozen by means of rear projection and/or mirrors.

It plays arenas in major cities across the country because it needs full stage capabilities as well as seating capacity. It can attract larger crowds in arenas. The place was packed with at least 5,000 the night we were there (at least that many seats with poor sightlines behind and to the side of the mammouth stage were not sold.) Richmond Coliseum, I have heard, has booked it for four performances as an annual Christmas attraction.

PS: The men's rooms were newly painted blue and were clean.

And then there was the Richmond Ballet's spectacularly scenic production of THE NUTCRACKER at the beautiful Carpenter Theatre on the corner of 6th and Grace Streets. The new 50-foot deep stage is fully capable of handling just about any production, and the atmospheric auditorium of the former movie palace greatly enhances this ballet -- especially the 2nd act. The pit was packed with Richmond Symphony musicians who sounded marvellous. There were one or two disappointing principals in the second company at this particular final matinee, but overall the dancing and choreography was excellent. The sold-out house demanded many curtain calls.

In addition to celebrations tonight at bars and clubs in Richmond, The Carpenter Theatre will present a concert by pianist/entertainer Jim Brickman at 8PM. Ticket prices, if still available, range between $37.50 to $57.50. http://www.richmondcenterstage.com

The Hat Factory (formerly Toad's Place) plans an event called "Countdown to 2010" featuring DJ Lonnie B which gets underway at 9PM. Cost is $30.00. http://www.hatfactoryva.com

The National is dark tonight, but tomorrow, January 1st at 8PM there will be a free concert by Hells Bells, AC/DC Experience. http://www.thenationalva.com

I'm sad the "tradition" didn't die. We need a central city celebration by the riverfront with fireworks and concerts for New Years Eve instead of the "safe-away-from-the-bad-side-of-town" Carytown.

Don't fret, most in the metro area view Carytown as sketchy too :)

I'm glad that people turned up for it. It shows that Richmonders can support something, even when the thing itself isn't being supported. Let it stay and flourish in Carytown until it outgrows the location (which it basically did last year), once it becomes a tradition, move it downtown to a bigger area. We have an entire city to make active and appealing, not just a downtown.

Don't fret, most in the metro area view Carytown as sketchy too :)

I'm glad that people turned up for it. It shows that Richmonders can support something, even when the thing itself isn't being supported. Let it stay and flourish in Carytown until it outgrows the location (which it basically did last year), once it becomes a tradition, move it downtown to a bigger area. We have an entire city to make active and appealing, not just a downtown.

Thank you. I hadn't considered that it could be moved... but we had a tradition in Festival Park with fireworks... what happened to that? I still would like to see something on the river with fireworks and let downtown be party central with the hotels and convention center, CenterStage, Shockoe Slip and Bottom, and the Canal Walk.

Thank you. I hadn't considered that it could be moved... but we had a tradition in Festival Park with fireworks... what happened to that? I still would like to see something on the river with fireworks and let downtown be party central with the hotels and convention center, CenterStage, Shockoe Slip and Bottom, and the Canal Walk.

Downtown still has the Folk Festival every October which, so far, has outdrawn the one-night affair in Carytown five times over. And it has the annual lighting up of James Center in December as well as the hugely popular Christmas Parade.

But it would be nice to see a ball drop from the CNB building on Broad at 3rd Street on New Year's Eve and tie it in with a First-Friday/2nd Street Festival/light show kind of affair.

However, I believe there's a ruling that a street carrying a US Highway designation (Broad Street/US250) cannot be completely closed off to traffic. The Christmas Parade, for instance, is only in the west bound lanes of the divided highway, isn't it?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

There are two big events scheduled for this weekend which, weather permitting, should bring out large crowds:

Thursday thru Sunday (Feb. 18th - Feb. 21st) at The Greater Richmond Convention Center. Main entrances are at the corners of 3rd and 5th Streets on East Marshall Street:

The annual Maymont Flower and Garden Show combines with MAC Events Home Show.

It's one of the largest Garden shows on the East Coast.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Friday thru Sunday (Feb. 19th - Feb. 21st) in the Exhibition Hall of the Richmond Raceway Complex at 600 East Laburnum Avenue:

The Richmond Boat Show.

February's First Friday Art Walk on the 5th of this month was snowed out and is resheduled for tomorrow, Friday, February 19th.

Now along comes a story by Chris Dovi, formerly of of Style Weekly, about First Fridays in March, April and May. The organizers, according to Dovi, have decided on an expansion to the east -- as far as Capital Square.

During those spring months, Center Stage; the U of R building at 7th and Broad; the State Library between 8th and 9th on Broad and St. Paul's Church at 9th and Grace Streets will be incorporated into First Friday's perambulatory boundaries.

BIG MISTAKE, in my view. As much as I love Center Stage and the rest of downtown, First Friday should be contained within its borders. Center City, including the above facilities as well as The Coliseum and The National, should stage their own festivities on a regular basis, IMO.

From the current Style Weekly:

http://styleweekly.c...8C3BC43A9B762C4

The biggest wine event in Virginia will start a three-day run tomorrow at the Greater Richmond Convention Center. More vintners than ever before will be on hand to offer samples of their products. There are several different entry charges explained in the news story.

From today's RTD:

http://www2.timesdis...-180007/326544/

There'll be plenty of other activity in the immediate area of the Convention Center Friday and Saturday:

Richmond Shakespeare presents OTHELLO at the Gottwald Theatre of Center Stage.

The Richmond Symphony performs Beethoven's Emperor Saturday night at The Carpenter Theatre.

And there are concerts Friday and Saturday nights at The National.

All these venues are within 3 blocks of one another in downtown Richmond.

Over 72,000 people are expected to see WICKED when it opens a 24-performance run at The Landmark Theatre beginning Wednesday, March 10th. That averages out to 3,000 attendees at each show in the 3,600-seat house.

An extended run of a popular Broadway musical is an economic benefit for every city it plays and for the producers of the show. WICKED is likely to gross close to $5 million in Richmond.

Check out the final paragraph of Melissa Ruggieri's story. If you don't have a ticket (prices range $40 to $127) and are the gambling type, arrive at the box office two or three hours before curtain time and sign up for the lottery that offers a limited number of orchestra seats for $25 (cash only!) All theatres hold back what are called "house seats"(generally 5th or 6th row center orchestra seats) for "VIP's"until close to curtain time. VIP's could be famous show people or politicians, etc. The point is that if they are not used, they might be in the lottery. smile.gif

Check your tickets for performance dates and times. Most weeknight performances begin at 7:30PM, but generally at 8PM on Fridays and Saturdays. Most matinees are at 2PM with some weekend shows at 5PM.

Enjoy the slideshow in this RTD story:

http://www2.timesdis.../190209/328097/

When I get a chance I'll do a list of restaurants within walking distance of The Landmark Theatre which is on Laurel at Main Streets across from Monroe Park at the foot of The Fan and the VCU campus

But, I'll start here with the nearest one --VCU Dining Hall at the corner of Park Avenue and Shaffer Street in the heart of the campus. It's a pretty neat multi-level food court with ample choices and is open to students and visitors. Very reasonable prices, but don't expect cocktails and white table clothes. About three interesting, colorful, criss-crossed blocks from the theatre.

More later.

Over 72,000 people are expected to see WICKED when it opens a 24-performance run at The Landmark Theatre beginning Wednesday, March 10th. That averages out to 3,000 attendees at each show in the 3,600-seat house.

An extended run of a popular Broadway musical is an economic benefit for every city it plays and for the producers of the show. WICKED is likely to gross close to $5 million in Richmond.

Check out the final paragraph of Melissa Ruggieri's story. If you don't have a ticket (prices range $40 to $127) and are the gambling type, arrive at the box office two or three hours before curtain time and sign up for the lottery that offers a limited number of orchestra seats for $25 (cash only!) All theatres hold back what are called "house seats"(generally 5th or 6th row center orchestra seats) for "VIP's"until close to curtain time. VIP's could be famous show people or politicians, etc. The point is that if they are not used, they might be in the lottery. smile.gif

Check your tickets for performance dates and times. Most weeknight performances begin at 7:30PM, but generally at 8PM on Fridays and Saturdays. Most matinees are at 2PM with some weekend shows at 5PM.

Enjoy the slideshow in this RTD story:

http://www2.timesdis.../190209/328097/

When I get a chance I'll do a list of restaurants within walking distance of The Landmark Theatre which is on Laurel at Main Streets across from Monroe Park at the foot of The Fan and the VCU campus

But, I'll start here with the nearest one --VCU Dining Hall at the corner of Park Avenue and Shaffer Street in the heart of the campus. It's a pretty neat multi-level food court with ample choices and is open to students and visitors. Very reasonable prices, but don't expect cocktails and white table clothes. About three interesting, colorful, criss-crossed blocks from the theatre.

More later.

Haha! Karri Peifer has finished my job on this posting by adding her list of restaurants within 6 blocks of The Landmark Theatre

http://social.richmond.com/blog/kpeifer/2010/03/six-restaurant-in-six-blocks/

Thanks, Karri.

Archived