New Construction and Renovations in the Heartside District

MJLO

How did Heartside Ministry get an inside line on this?  Was there no developer or other party interested in a competitive bid?  Did the fear of God make the owner repent of the Tini Bikinis and seek out absolution by proxy via sale to an organization that ministers to the needy?

• Like 1

This one totally has flown under the radar, but it looks like the trashy waste of space establishment known as Tini Bikini’s Bar & Grill has closed. I saw it mentioned in a WoodTV story about someone running into it.

http://woodtv.com/2014/07/04/van-crashes-into-building-in-downtown-gr/

So while I'm thrilled that this place is gone, I'm less than thrilled that basically yet another Degege will park itself on another Heartside corner.

AFAIK Heartside Ministry isn't a shelter.  Or at least their hospitality services are really limited.  They don't have beds there, I don't think. They do social work, counseling/support groups, education, pastoral care, etc.  Their current location is like 2 doors down, so it's not like they're new to that block.  If you didn't notice their presence before, you probably won't notice it now - let alone think it "another Dégagé."  I haven't seen anything that says they plan to expand their "shelter" services in the new space, either.

AFAIK Heartside Ministry isn't a shelter.  Or at least their hospitality services are really limited.  They don't have beds there, I don't think. They do social work, counseling/support groups, education, pastoral care, etc.  Their current location is like 2 doors down, so it's not like they're new to that block.  If you didn't notice their presence before, you probably won't notice it now - let alone think it "another Dégagé."  I haven't seen anything that says they plan to expand their "shelter" services in the new space, either.

Well, that's somewhat comforting at least.  It's always a challenge to help the needy, but I have to wonder how much the high concentration of low income housing and shelters is holding Heartside back in other areas.  I suspect it has to drag the median income down to levels so low that it presents a serious demographic/development challenge.  Anyone know whether shelter residents are counted when tallying median income levels? 

Edited by x99

The probable use of the building will be similar to that of Verne Berry place, next door.

There is mounting evidence that the best way to cure homelessness is with actually providing housing, instead of the shelter system as we now have it. This has been done in Salt Lake City with great success; it is also a model pursued on a more modest and distributed fashion by Tami Vandenberg and Well House. If that is the case, then the housing does little in terms of added concentration, instead shifting populations from shelters to more permanent status. In a development like this, the housing facility may also provide some in house assistance to residents (e.g. mental health access, social workers etc).

Secondly, one should not confuse Heartside with Degage -- really two different types of work. Heartside is far more committed to the social justice issues involved with homelessness as opposed to the simple amelioration of its consequences.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

If anyone remembers, the building they bought was a great old furniture warehouse (can't remember the furniture company, one of the great ones- anyone remember who?). It burnt down before (or slightly after) they started renovations. It's a shame we lost that building, it fit really well with the character of that block.

Joe

If anyone remembers, the building they bought was a great old furniture warehouse (can't remember the furniture company, one of the great ones- anyone remember who?). It burnt down before (or slightly after) they started renovations. It's a shame we lost that building, it fit really well with the character of that block.

Joe

Wasn't most of that area owned by HH Cutler?

Edit, no it was Forslund apparently:

http://www.historygrandrapids.org/uploads/files/document/IoniaSW.pdf

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

123 South Division is going to be renovated into ground floor retail and 5 market rate apartments. The 3 story building is like a mini "Kendall" building with two bay window sections going up above the retail. The building is called the "Peck" building after it was originally Peck's Drugstore built by Thomas Peck. In the DDA agenda for a BRIP grant.

068079a09856bec0753dc5a92b04633a.wix_mp_

Also in the agenda is 13 - 17 South Division, which has a new owner. They hope to have ground floor retail activation before ArtPrize this year. 

20417654566_3157e929ea.jpg

Edited by GRDadof3

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

13-17 S Division is where the Bros.Leather Supply is opening up shop.  It was mentioned in another thread, 

http://www.brothersleathersupply.com/pages/story

boldSocks is also opening a store in this building. Interesting to see a nice little cluster of "real" hard good stores in this area. 

http://www.boldsocks.com/

And the Taqueria called Luna is now open, on Ionia where the hot dog place was.

21463742269_6b17e595d4_c.jpg

Edited by GRDadof3