New Construction and Renovations in the Heartside District

MJLO

• 1 month later...

Great news. Good to see more tech companies in this area (already home to plenty of others).

Joe

For sure. 50 workers is a pretty good sized office. Bigger than many of the other office tenants on Commerce.

As I mentioned, Heartside is about to get a couple more office occupants soon.

A little off the current flow here, but as I walk down Ionia I walk past the old (or current) senior neighbors building at Ionia and Weston. All empty store fronts that building is in an awsome location. Are there any plans to do anything at all with it? Or is it going to stay the white elephant on Ionia for a while?

A little off the current flow here, but as I walk down Ionia I walk past the old (or current) senior neighbors building at Ionia and Weston. All empty store fronts that building is in an awsome location. Are there any plans to do anything at all with it? Or is it going to stay the white elephant on Ionia for a while?

Senior Neighbors was just a tenant in one of the ground floor spaces. The rest of the building is low-income apartments.

Open a retail shop there and let us know how it goes.

It is owned by Dwelling Place, so a liquor license is not an option.

I'm sure that is the reason that the commercial space has remained vacant after the office and entrance for the apartments were moved around the corner with the remodeling a few years ago. The lack of parking is another drawback.

I don't think lack of parking would be a drawback. Hopcat doesn't have a parking issue. Didn't realize they wouldn't allow a liquor license. I'm sure that is why it sits empty. Beautiful building, prime location.

Joe

It is owned by Dwelling Place, so a liquor license is not an option.

I'm sure that is the reason that the commercial space has remained vacant after the office and entrance for the apartments were moved around the corner with the remodeling a few years ago. The lack of parking is another drawback.

• Like 1

I don't think lack of parking would be a drawback. Hopcat doesn't have a parking issue. Didn't realize they wouldn't allow a liquor license. I'm sure that is why it sits empty. Beautiful building, prime location.

Joe

I think people will put up with inconvenient parking to meet friends for a drink at a bar, but not to go shopping in a conventional retail store.

Agreed. I was saying that parking doesn't sound like the issues. It sounds more like the limited uses (no restaurant or bar due to restrictions on liquor licenses). It's a prime bar/restaurant location, but not much else (ok, a good coffee shop would be nice! :)).

Joe

I think people will put up with inconvenient parking to meet friends for a drink at a bar, but not to go shopping in a conventional retail store.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

The "Herk" is moving residents out to start work on their renovation and expansion. I didn't realize this was in the near future.

http://www.mlive.com/business/west-michigan/index.ssf/2012/08/downtown_apartment_complex_mov.html#incart_mrt

It looks like the Herkimer expansion project has started. I was walking down Commerce today behind the Herkimer Hotel and noticed a couple of big dirt piles where their parking lot used to be and in fact the sidewalk is gone on the east side of the street and along the side streets. For reference this is back along the wall on Commerce that contains the mural of Black soldiers. My cell phone is pretty old and doesn’t take pictures otherwise I would have posted some photos.

It looks like the Herkimer expansion project has started. I was walking down Commerce today behind the Herkimer Hotel and noticed a couple of big dirt piles where their parking lot used to be and in fact the sidewalk is gone on the east side of the street and along the side streets. For reference this is back along the wall on Commerce that contains the mural of Black soldiers. My cell phone is pretty old and doesn’t take pictures otherwise I would have posted some photos.

Thanks for the heads up walker:

8255261422_e5cf9107d9_z.jpg

• 7 months later...

Even though I'm aware of the projects going on currently in Heartside,  It's still amazes me when I actually walk by it.   I count around 7 different projects currently from the Kendall Building to Baker Lofts.  Does anyone have a count on how many apartment units are currently under construction?  How many of those are for low income residents?

I think ALL of the units currently being built are low income (except for the few above the liquor store on Division- those are slated for students). 

Has anyone noticed the Orion Construction sign on the ground floor of the Weston Apartments (Ionia/Weston)? I've seen a few areas where it looks like they are testing paint colors. Anyone know what is going on. I'd assume offices or retail with the no liquor clause. 

Joe

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...