What's Your Vision for Richmond?

wrldcoupe4

Well, I was looking at the Virginia Beach Amphitheater, and wondered why Richmond can't have an outside concert venue... so I decided to think one up...

Richmond Amphitheater at Mayo Island

nyuyiu.jpg

Richmond Amphitheater

at Mayo Island

Project Idea:

We will create a 25,000-30,000 seat open air venue on Mayo Island that provides Richmond with a state-of-the-art arena for concerts and attractions. The amphitheater will integrate a brick fa

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, I was looking at the Virginia Beach Amphitheater, and wondered why Richmond can't have an outside concert venue... so I decided to think one up...

Richmond Amphitheater at Mayo Island

nyuyiu.jpg

Richmond Amphitheater

at Mayo Island

Project Idea:

We will create a 25,000-30,000 seat open air venue on Mayo Island that provides Richmond with a state-of-the-art arena for concerts and attractions. The amphitheater will integrate a brick fa

You are quite the visionary, LC. The plan for an open-air concert venue on Mayo Island has much merit, but unfortunately, some major problems. Primary among the disadvantages is the flood-prone status of the site. But then, maybe that's not so much of a problem when you consider that developers have advanced plans for permanent structures there and that in decades past a ballpark attracted thousands.

Would the type of covering you describe be transparent and allow concert attendees downstream views? And if it is to be covered, might the entire project be reversed to take advantage of the skyline thru a scrim-like roofing? The sun might get in our eyes, but most concerts don't get underway 'til after dark.

Traffic would be a problem. But here are two thoughts to alleviate that somewhat. Think of the swinging pedestrian bridge under Leigh Bridge. Maybe something similar could be worked out with CSX under their trestle that crosses the eastern end of Mayo Island from north and south shores of the James.

Definitely water taxis from Intermediate Terminal and Rocketts landing would be feasible, though bouys might be necessary to mark a navigable channel.

Congratulations for thinking out of the box.

A hypar tensegrity dome uses a system of cables to hold up a fabric roof. I guess, depending on the fabric used, you could make it so that it affords views of the river and sky. I wanted the seating to be close to the road and parking area and wanted to have temporary or permanent shops and vendors along the street that would service the amphitheater.

Mayo Bridge might not be high enough to put the pedestrian bridge underneath it, but perhaps it could run parallel to the street? It doesn't look like there's parking available on the south side of the bridge, so could a parking garage be built there?

An example of a hypar-tensegrity dome is the Georgia Dome.

I'd also like to see the Shockoe Bottom stadium go through...

A hypar tensegrity dome uses a system of cables to hold up a fabric roof. I guess, depending on the fabric used, you could make it so that it affords views of the river and sky. I wanted the seating to be close to the road and parking area and wanted to have temporary or permanent shops and vendors along the street that would service the amphitheater.

Mayo Bridge might not be high enough to put the pedestrian bridge underneath it, but perhaps it could run parallel to the street? It doesn't look like there's parking available on the south side of the bridge, so could a parking garage be built there?

An example of a hypar-tensegrity dome is the Georgia Dome.

I'd also like to see the Shockoe Bottom stadium go through...

The swinging pedestrian bridge I was proposing would not be under Mayo Bridge, but under the railway bridge carrying a CSX mainline across the eastern end of mayo island. Come to think of it, perhaps there could also be a parallel walkway along the Norfolk Southern bridge that crosses the western end of Mayo Island. After all, the homeless who reside on one of the James River islands use that rail bridge to get to and from the mainland. :)

Perhaps a replaced Mayo Bridge with wide sidewalks on both sides would be better. For those of you familiar with the Key Bridge in DC, that is the concept I am reffereing to, on the bridge deck itself. Whenever I want to go into DC, I would park my car in Rosslyn and walk across the Key Bridge. Due to adequate seperation devices, pedestrians are safe from the vehicular traffic flow.

It is to my understanding that the Mayo Bridge is to be replaced as part of the recently revised Downtown Master Plan?

Perhaps a replaced Mayo Bridge with wide sidewalks on both sides would be better. For those of you familiar with the Key Bridge in DC, that is the concept I am reffereing to, on the bridge deck itself. Whenever I want to go into DC, I would park my car in Rosslyn and walk across the Key Bridge. Due to adequate seperation devices, pedestrians are safe from the vehicular traffic flow.

It is to my understanding that the Mayo Bridge is to be replaced as part of the recently revised Downtown Master Plan?

The Mayo Bridge (sometimes called the 14th Street Bridge) is the prettiest crossing of the James, IMO. It was modeled after a Parisian crossing of the Seine. It's also the first to be closed during floods.

The Mayo Bridge (sometimes called the 14th Street Bridge) is the prettiest crossing of the James, IMO. It was modeled after a Parisian crossing of the Seine. It's also the first to be closed during floods.

From under the bridge, there needs to be some work or upkeep soon. The concrete coating for the underbelly of the arches is chipping away. Probably nothing to do with the strength of the structure, but it looks a little worn.

It's a great bridge, but I'm more concerned with the riff-raff that walks that area. I lost a rather nice mountain bike that was chained in the 14th Street takeout area.

IMO, the current Mayo Bridge looks like a pathetic excuse for a Downtown gateway. There are better designs that can serve as a major gateway into Downtown. Since the bridge is halved by Mayo Island, I would like to see two different designs; one for each span.

• 1 year later...

This Richmond Bizsense piece from today seems an apt reason to revive this old thread::thumbsup:

Here is their suggestion for 10 languishing pieces of property in and around the city.

http://www.richmondb...t-of-potential/

Paul Hammond in his Carver/Jackson Ward News blog says there is some interest by VCU in acquiring the old CNB tower and converting it to dorm housing.

Why not?

http://www.cjwn.net/news/2010/09/21/a-high-rise-dorm/

Paul Hammond in his Carver/Jackson Ward News blog says there is some interest by VCU in acquiring the old CNB tower and converting it to dorm housing.

Why not?

http://www.cjwn.net/news/2010/09/21/a-high-rise-dorm/

I have mixed feelings about that.

One the one hand it would be great to have that building restored and occupied, and I'm sure bringing students to the area would really help that stretch of Broad pick up.

On the other hand, I think that this tower has so much potential beyond student housing. Its a beautiful building more fit for luxury apartments/condos or a luxury hotel..or office space...anything other than student housing.

• 2 weeks later...

Our fellow correspondent Citiboi on the Greensboro UP thread writes about a huge figure skating competition coming to the gigantic Greensboro Coliseum next year. Meanwhile, partly to promote the event, the City and private investors are installing a temporary ice rink in downtown Greensboro which will operate only from late November thru January.

Several years ago, when the Valentine Museum was involved with Tredegar Iron Works, they operated an ice skating rink on the hillside behind the monument to Abraham Lincoln. I don't think it was a great success, but maybe the idea should be tried again -- this time, perhaps, on the old Thalhimer's site on East Broad between 6th and 7th Streets. Richmond CenterStage controls that lot for another two or three years and possibly would be interested in such an idea.

Thoughts?

Our fellow correspondent Citiboi on the Greensboro UP thread writes about a huge figure skating competition coming to the gigantic Greensboro Coliseum next year. Meanwhile, partly to promote the event, the City and private investors are installing a temporary ice rink in downtown Greensboro which will operate only from late November thru January.

Several years ago, when the Valentine Museum was involved with Tredegar Iron Works, they operated an ice skating rink on the hillside behind the monument to Abraham Lincoln. I don't think it was a great success, but maybe the idea should be tried again -- this time, perhaps, on the old Thalhimer's site on East Broad between 6th and 7th Streets. Richmond CenterStage controls that lot for another two or three years and possibly would be interested in such an idea.

Thoughts?

I could almost see a Rockefeller-like Plaza there.

• 2 weeks later...

Young people are being consulted about ideas for a better Richmond.

From today's RTD:

http://www2.timesdis...gi17-ar-567953/

If I'm not mistaken, the hikers in the accompanying photo are climbing the highest point on Belle Isle in the middle of downtown Richmond If I'm wrong, can any of you identify the correct location?

Click on the Related Links for a story about a Public Square discussion.

• 1 month later...

Thoughts?

Guess what?

Richmond is going to get a seasonal outdoor ice skating rink downtown -- just like Greensboro. :thumbsup:

And guess where it will be? That's right; exactly where I suggested in the above post -- the lot behind Richmond CenterStage on East Broad between 6th and 7th Streets.:rolleyes:

From Paul at Carver & Jackson Ward News:

http://www.cjwn.net/...g-broad-street/

It will open on December 22nd, the day after my arrival in Richmond for the Christmas holidays. While I may not put on a pair of skates, it'll be fun to watch as we head into The Carpenter Theatre to see THE NUTCRACKER on that very evening. Can't wait.:yahoo:

• 2 weeks later...

The rink is looking awesome! I was at City Hall today and from the air I can see that the seal of Richmond is in the center of the rink (below the ice). There are lights strewn above the rink and star burst lights have been added to the Center Stage wall behind it. It will add tons of charm to Broad Street.

Archived