What's Your Vision for Richmond?

wrldcoupe4

Some neat quotes from an article Burt showed me in USA Today that focused on Richmond. I think these are useful in thinking of a vision for Richmond:

As older cities shrink, some reinvent themselves

Just food for thought...

I started a thread to discuss this article in the Urban Discussion forum, as I think it's rather interesting.

I think that one thing that should be realized is that while Richmond is a shrinking city, that is not the same thing as a city in decline (i.e., several Rustbelt cities). For one thing, VA's independent city setup makes it almost inevitable that Richmond would experience some population loss since annexation isn't an option; however, the overall metro area appears to be experiencing healthy growth.

I would hope that Richmond wouldn't become the next Charlotte or Atlanta; Richmond's geographical location, urban fabric, and historic architecture are things that the former two cities would kill to have.

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Doesn't VCU have one of the top sculpture programs in the nation? You'd never know it by driving or walking around Richmond. We should have statues out the wazoo.

I think Richmond should adopt a program similar to Charlottesville's ArtinPlace sculpture competition. Sculptures created by various artists and are displayed outdoors across the city's parks and along major roads. The organization is sponsered by the city and is planning to coloborate with UVa on future projects. It's a really nice addition to Charlottesville's landscape, and Richmond could benefit greatly from a similar program.

I think Richmond should adopt a program similar to Charlottesville's ArtinPlace sculpture competition.

I agree completely. I really like what Charlottesville has done!

A good example of something I've always found unique and similar in Richmond is the bronze statue of three kids playing right in front of Chasen Galleries in Carytown.

I started a thread to discuss this article in the Urban Discussion forum, as I think it's rather interesting.

I think that one thing that should be realized is that while Richmond is a shrinking city, that is not the same thing as a city in decline (i.e., several Rustbelt cities). For one thing, VA's independent city setup makes it almost inevitable that Richmond would experience some population loss since annexation isn't an option; however, the overall metro area appears to be experiencing healthy growth.

I would hope that Richmond wouldn't become the next Charlotte or Atlanta; Richmond's geographical location, urban fabric, and historic architecture are things that the former two cities would kill to have.

Thanks, Krazeeboi. Richmond readers should look at your thread.

I like Virginia's independent city laws with regards to large cities such as Va Beach or Norfolk, however I think all VA cities under 75,000 people should revert back to being part of a county and be able to annex county land. Why, for example, should Charlottesville and Albemarle County have separate sheriffs and school systems?

Because of Va's independent city laws, I think Chesterfield and Henrico should merge with the city to create a new, larger City of Richmond with a population around 750,000.

I like Virginia's independent city laws with regards to large cities such as Va Beach or Norfolk, however I think all VA cities under 75,000 people should revert back to being part of a county and be able to annex county land. Why, for example, should Charlottesville and Albemarle County have separate sheriffs and school systems?

Because of Va's independent city laws, I think Chesterfield and Henrico should merge with the city to create a new, larger City of Richmond with a population around 750,000.

Chesterfield would never merge with anyone. They like to play by themselves.

• 2 months later...

Hello every one! I've been watching UrbanPlanet forums for about four months now but just now decided to join up and post.

I was thinking about our dual need for a baseball and an arena, and, therefore, came up with this plan for the area south of the James and East of 95.

302800h.jpg

After I created most of this, I remembered Rocketts Landing would go across the river and the main road I put at Orleans might have to move north to Nicholson. Because people in Rocketts Landing would not want a massive eyesore, I would propose a low lying 9,000-10,000 person stadium, somewhat like the one proposed for Shockoe Bottom. The arena, however, would seat around 17,000-20,000 and would be a very modern building.

Two shopping centers as well as some real estate development would be in the area as well as parkland along the James and perhaps a marina toward the southern side of the development.

What do you think?

Hello every one! I've been watching UrbanPlanet forums for about four months now but just now decided to join up and post.

I was thinking about our dual need for a baseball and an arena, and, therefore, came up with this plan for the area south of the James and East of 95.

302800h.jpg

After I created most of this, I remembered Rocketts Landing would go across the river and the main road I put at Orleans might have to move north to Nicholson. Because people in Rocketts Landing would not want a massive eyesore, I would propose a low lying 9,000-10,000 person stadium, somewhat like the one proposed for Shockoe Bottom. The arena, however, would seat around 17,000-20,000 and would be a very modern building.

Two shopping centers as well as some real estate development would be in the area as well as parkland along the James and perhaps a marina toward the southern side of the development.

What do you think?

That's pretty neat actually. With regards to an eyesore, there's currently a major water treatment plant right about where your new arena would go... so I'm sure a baseball stadium would be welcome :lol: Also, I wouldn't mind seeing Rockett's Landing-esque development so perhaps the shopping centers could be more urban in nature.

Also, I wonder how tall a new bridge would need to be given that a city marina would sit upriver from your proposed crossing? Wilder envisions some type of cruise ships docking at the intermediate terminal one day.

Even though I think a new stadium will almost definitely be on the Boulevard and a replacement for the Coliseum is a while away, I think your idea is much better than the incredibly underutilized present state of that area and would certainly be a much better welcome to people than a water treatment plant.

Welcome to UP. :thumbsup:

I have walked the south/west bank of the James from Ancarrow's landing down to where Rocketts ends and I think that area directly across Rocketts Landing would be nice to boast another little urban village (on stilts) , although it sits on part of the Colonial Pipeline, maybe a street can go on top of it. It is already basically cleared. Perhaps a draw bridge would work to connect east and west. However, I don't think Nicholson St would be the right one. Maybe they could have the road that separates phase one and two of Rocketts be the one for the bridge.

Upon closer inspection of the plan, the Slave Trail people and the James River Park system would pitch a huge fit over the idea of turning a park into a strip mall and condos. Plus those areas are not protected by the floodwall and are in the floodplain which is much larger than that on the northside of the river.

Well not big cruise ships like those you may see in Miami or even Norfolk, but the smaller kind similar or maybe a little bigger than what we have had, Annabelle Lee and Eagle One.

That's a very thoughtful plan, LC.

Cam, doesn't the slave trail begin at Ancarrow Landing? Isn't most of LC's plan downstream of the slave wharf? It's hard to get a clear picture, but couldn't the whole project be moved south to avoid such intrusion? If I remember correctly, standing on the slave wharf, one is slightly upstream of the planned new marina at the old docks.

Incidentally, in my youth, there was a street called Ninth Street Road that ran south along the river -- but that may have been where I-95 is today. Anyway, one of my childhood memories is seeing a sizable ship beached after a flood somewhere in that area as we drove along Ninth Street Road.

A bridge would probably have to be 150 feet high to satisfy the US Coast Guard, so its approaches at both ends would extend pretty far inland. Maybe water taxis to and from Rocketts Landing would be the answer. People used to approach Three Rivers Stadium in Pittsburgh by boat -- I've done it. But since it has been replaced, I'm not sure if it's still on the Ohio River.

Smells from the water treatment plant are negligible, so I've heard (the source of odors is elsewhere), so could the proposed arena be built above it? That would make for a massive building, since arenas are at least 100 feet high.

LC, the cruise ships expected to come upstream are of the coastal variety. One named THE NANTUCKET CLIPPER (about 200 feet long) has been calling about once a year at the Intermediate Terminal for some time.

I like your plan, LC, and wish that it could be implemented. Thanks for posting it, and welcome!

No Burt, he's done away with Ancarrow's Landing altogether and replaced it with condos and a shopping center. Plus Commonwealth Center styled development in the city probably wouldn't go over too well. Sorry Lord Chesterfield, not a bad idea, but the area isn't suited the development you have around it. Now if we could get the water treatment plant moved, that would be great... although it doesn't really create that smell coming across 95... that's something else and it's further down from it.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok I am putting these doodles from work up for criticism. I have thought that one of the blocks they had wanted for the stadium could become shops and living quarters. Family friendly shops to help bring the aspect of safety to the Bottom. I think the Colonial, Federal, and Greek Revival styles need to be down there again. We hardly have enough of these styles represented in Richmond now and they used to dominate. Why not reconstruct them between Crane, 17th, 18th, Broad and Grace?

The full pic.

Shockoedoodle.jpg

My aunt's scanner chooses whatever it wants to scan and cuts stuff off all the time... so those are below.

scan0002.jpg

Broad St

scan0004.jpg

Grace St

• 1 month later...

Our revival architecture focuses on Italianate and Victorian, but why aren't we doing the Greek Revivals, Federals, or Colonial styles? I'd love to see Shockoe Bottom's vacant land infilled with architecture that used to be down there.

• 5 months later...

I'd like to make a personal note of my wild idea before I forget it :) So, I was thinking since the canal boats haven't been running on the Haxall, I suggest from the locks to ROTJ there be some kind of water feature, similar to the fountains at the Bellagio. I'm not sure where it would go from there, but perhaps it would draw more stores/restaurants to open up shop along the canal. Anyone have other ideas for that stretch of the canal?

I'd like to make a personal note of my wild idea before I forget it :) So, I was thinking since the canal boats haven't been running on the Haxall, I suggest from the locks to ROTJ there be some kind of water feature, similar to the fountains at the Bellagio. I'm not sure where it would go from there, but perhaps it would draw more stores/restaurants to open up shop along the canal. Anyone have other ideas for that stretch of the canal?

At present, there is so little traffic along the Haxall that even water features probably would not increase interest downstream of the Browns Island bridge and the naked flag poles.

Connecting the two canals is VITAL, IMO. I remain adament that it is possible. The major drawback is Alcoa's operation.

Meanwhile, there must be some logical reason why Venture Richmond doesn't place one or two of its idle fleet in the Haxall. The arguement against it during the NFF was that drought had dropped the water level too low as well as the problem of transporting boats to Haxall. I don't believe either of those problems is insurmountable.

I am all for fountains and water features -- if they are not turned off by whim. A spectacular fountain in the wider part of Haxall timed to allow dry passage of boats arriving and leaving the flag pole area would be a superb plan.

And let's not forget our "boutique hotel" across from the languishing Power Plant. Until a connection thru the flood wall is built, a water feature there would be an excellent addition.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

A serious conversation about Regionalism would benefit our area...

Who Needs 134 Archaic Cities and Counties

The design of Virginia's current county and city governance structure was forged some 300 years ago. Locality borders have since been drawn to allow for a county resident's travel by horse from anywhere in the county to the local courthouse in one day. However, I submit that automobiles and telecommunications have rendered the basis of our state's local government structure obsolete; and so too rendered the structure itself obsolete. Make no mistake -- we pay to work within our outdated framework. It costs us money, economic opportunity, and political accountability....

A serious conversation about Regionalism would benefit our area...

Who Needs 134 Archaic Cities and Counties

Tayloe Negus, the writer of this piece, suggests merging all 134 Virginia counties and cities into 6 regions. At present aren't there only five MSA's? -- Northern Virginia; Hampton Roads; Richmond; Roanoke, and Charlottesville. I suppose the 6th would be Southwest Virginia. Each would need to be enlarged to cover more territory.

It's an idea with merit, IMO. But if it is proposed to the State Government, I hope it is also proposed that the antiquated one-term limit for governors be abolished as well.

Archived