Sparkle City Eateries

Spartan

I was there this weekend as well bought we only had a few beers. What they have done with the place is nice but the bar area is currently too crowded with high bar tables 2' from the front of the bar. It congests things but overall the place looks pretty good. In fact it looks better as a pizza place than it ever did as an upscale restaurant. The still have the bar and more tables upstairs although at this point, there are no taps upstairs.

The bar scene is Sparkle City is beginning to get interesting. Now if we could ever get authentic Mexican we'd really start rolling.

Heard a rumor that an upscale Mexican eatery is coming to east Spartanburg  (not downtown) Hope it happens!!!!!

Did you happen to hear where they would locate? Hopefully not in the old Mexico Lindo building, that's a terrible joint. Its small, cramped, and there's no parking other than when I use it at Dudleys.

My source would not confirm a location, but said specifically it is not Mexico Lindo.   

Simple Simon has new owners who are planning to eventually return the eatery to its status as a 24-hour diner.  They're changing the hours to 9pm-3pm first, before they go 24-hours sometime later.  They're adding some items to the menu and will upgrade the building, starting with repainting the signs.  This sounds like a good plan to bring the restaurant back to prominence.  I've never eaten here, so I'll have to try it.

Also, City Council-woman Cate Ryba just confirmed (via Facebook) that Renato's will be moving to Morgan Square!

William Cribb of Cribb's Kitchen downtown opened the Speakeasy on Saint John Street in the old Nga's building. It is to focus manily on drinks where the kitchen downtown focuses mainly on food. It opened on Wednesday and has not been publicized to this point. I heard about it yesterday so me and the wife decided to stop in late in the day. As you would expect from Mr.Cribb, its pretty hip inside. About 4 tables with chairs, a large sofa, a bar with about 10 chairs, and 3-4 flat screens. The building is not large, but there is probably space for 50.

The bar menu lets you know they really want to focus on the drinks (as the bartender mentioned to me while we were chatting). A lot of good cocktails here, 6 (and soon to be 12) rotating taps, probably 20 bottles of beer, and a decent wine selection. On this afternoon, I was drinking Old Fashions and they were outstanding. They serve light appetizers and the menu changes weekly. One of my buddies was having boiled peanuts and they were pretty good.

I asked if they plan to advertise as if you don't know its there, you blow right by as there is no sign. Sevi (Williams lead bartender at Cribbs and apparently the guy managing this operation) said they are going to use word of mouth and social media for advertising. He said the response in 3 days has been great. They are open from 4 pm until 2, so they plan on rocking a little. Sevi also mentioned that this has been planned for a while, but this is not the next big gig that Mr. Cribb mentioned when interviewed a while back (more good new for the Burg). They are also running the catering out of here and have abandoned the original building on Spring St for good. I think he said a toffee shop was going in there to give it a try in there.

You would think Sparkle City was filling up with boozing folks as there is now a decent selection of places to drink with more coming in Growler Haus. I can honestly say that in my 48 years in the Burg, this is the best selection of bars we have ever had.

Last night a friend told me that the new 'upscale' Mexican eatery was going to locate at the old Lawson's Fork building on East Main Street. As I said before: hope this happens!  

Well they are doing something there as they have gutted the outside patio as well as some of the inside and its laying out in a pile in the parking lot to be picked up. I did notice Lawson's Fork has moved out on Cannons Campground Rd past Mary Black Hospital and beside that gas station before Road 57 that has always housed a small diner. This is probably a way better place for it as the rent is going to be substantially lower and the customer base will stay about the same.

Meanwhile, if this is going to be the "upscale" Mexican place, I hope it is similar to something like Limones in Asheville. There is still room and need for say a taco place downtown similar to White Duck in Asheville.

Well they are doing something there as they have gutted the outside patio as well as some of the inside and its laying out in a pile in the parking lot to be picked up. I did notice Lawson's Fork has moved out on Cannons Campground Rd past Mary Black Hospital and beside that gas station before Road 57 that has always housed a small diner. This is probably a way better place for it as the rent is going to be substantially lower and the customer base will stay about the same.

Meanwhile, if this is going to be the "upscale" Mexican place, I hope it is similar to something like Limones in Asheville. There is still room and need for say a taco place downtown similar to White Duck in Asheville.

I never was ga-ga about Lawson's Fork but hope they do well out on Cannons Campground. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The bar manager over at the Speakeasy confirmed that the next William Cribb project is indeed a Mexican restaurant to be housed on the east side but not downtown. Its is to be called "Fresh Mex" and will feature a tequila bar. Me and the wife passed by the old "Lawson's Fork" and it was also a really nice "Main St. Café" back in the 90's and the inside was being gutted yesterday. That has to be it as I really can't think of another place on the east side that is not in a strip mall. Billy's other 2 places are free standing.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I had lunch downtown today at Wild Aces and while very good, the star was downtown itself. It was absolutely hopping at lunch. I had to park at the far end of Spring St where it runs into St.John. As I walked up Spring, they were setting up the Ferris Wheel right beside where Music on Main begins. Aces had a lot of traffic, the wine shop & coffee bar were also rolling. Honestly I can't remember the last time there was this much going on minus a festival.

I also confirmed Growler Haus has a sneak preview opening tomorrow night.

Unfortunately (for me) the old Lawson's Fork Cafe has an Indian restaurant sign out front. Do not remember the name. Maybe the Fresh Mex eatery that was discussed will be located somewhere else.     

Fresh Mex is indeed going in the old Lawson's Fork. They are currently totally redoing the building.

• Like 1

I had lunch downtown today at Wild Aces and while very good, the star was downtown itself. It was absolutely hopping at lunch. I had to park at the far end of Spring St where it runs into St.John. As I walked up Spring, they were setting up the Ferris Wheel right beside where Music on Main begins. Aces had a lot of traffic, the wine shop & coffee bar were also rolling. Honestly I can't remember the last time there was this much going on minus a festival.

Fresh Mex is indeed going in the old Lawson's Fork. They are currently totally redoing the building.

Guess it is the old Indian Food sign that I saw, that was there prior to Lawson's Fork. Great news.  

• 1 month later...

Yes, it appears to be a TOTAL remodel of this buiding.  Lots of work going on there.

I'm very excited about Renato's. They are often forgotten about in their current location.

Has anyone heard about Renato's?  I called them the other night for information on a Christmastime reservation and the person taking the call seemed clueless regarding a downtown relocation.

Here are a few photos of the Fresh Mex building.  It looks great.  I love the painted exterior walls (colorful!) as well as the sort-of "industrial" elements.  Check out the corrugated metal (from shipping containers - see: Maersk).  As you can see, they are now hiring.  Really looking forward to this place.

post-24605-0-75348900-1382307888_thumb.j post-24605-0-07084700-1382307891_thumb.j

As far as Renato's moving, I'm not sure what their timeline is.  The upfit work on the Morgan Square building that they're supposedly moving into has been extensive and slow moving.  They put up that temporary plywood protrusion on the front of the building, and I also noticed a metal structure on the rear of the 3-story section of the building (elevator?).  So anyway, I don't know what's going on there at the moment.

post-24605-0-46775700-1382307886_thumb.j

Here are a few photos of the Fresh Mex building.  It looks great.  I love the painted exterior walls (colorful!) as well as the sort-of "industrial" elements.  Check out the corrugated metal (from shipping containers - see: Maersk).  As you can see, they are now hiring.  Really looking forward to this place.

attachicon.gifrest1.JPG attachicon.gifrest2.JPG

As far as Renato's moving, I'm not sure what their timeline is.  The upfit work on the Morgan Square building that they're supposedly moving into has been extensive and slow moving.  They put up that temporary plywood protrusion on the front of the building, and I also noticed a metal structure on the rear of the 3-story section of the building (elevator?).  So anyway, I don't know what's going on there at the moment.

attachicon.gifrenatos.JPG

Yeah, I drove by Fresh Mex yesterday and this is more than a remodel - its nearly a total reconstruction!

I'm dining at Renato in a couple of weeks and I'll inquire as to their plans for relocating to Morgan Square.

Fresh Mex was just the working name. It looks like the formal name will be Willy Taco. They were adding a green awning when I stopped by yesterday to look at it and see the name and hours already on the door. When I passed by later last night the clear outdoor lights were on and it truly looked like a Mexican cantina. According to one of the workers, he said they are due to open on the 4th. I assume that means Nov 4 which is next Monday. Whoop!!!

• Like 1

Fresh Mex was just the working name. It looks like the formal name will be Willy Taco. They were adding a green awning when I stopped by yesterday to look at it and see the name and hours already on the door. When I passed by later last night the clear outdoor lights were on and it truly looked like a Mexican cantina. According to one of the workers, he said they are due to open on the 4th. I assume that means Nov 4 which is next Monday. Whoop!!!

Great news! My wife saw the sign today, and thought the name should be reversed. "Taco Willy sounds cooler" I am just happy to have a fresh mex place in town.