DC Monuments and Memorials

tombarnes

New memorials are popping up every day in Washington. On the drawing boards, if not in limestone.This article in the Post got me wondering about everyone's thoughts on the process involved. I'm not sure I'm crazy about the idea of having a monument on every corner. While I love bubilc art and sculpture, the casual way in which the commission doles out sites would seem to cheapen the process. Having said that, my life is a little bit richer for passing several grand statues and fountains each day on my way to work. Here's the article...

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/conte...6012201165.html

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

African American Memorial Proposed for National Mall

An article in today's

Washington Post suggests an African American museum for the Mall. While I think the idea has merit, I wonder where they would place this building. I'm not aware of many places where a substantial new building could fit within the existing context.

African American Memorial Proposed for National Mall

An article in today's

Washington Post suggests an African American museum for the Mall. While I think the idea has merit, I wonder where they would place this building. I'm not aware of many places where a substantial new building could fit within the existing context.

This may just be the impetus needed to expand the mall to include Potomac Park/Haines Point.

The Matter Has Apparently Been Settled

From today's Post

It would appear that the question has been settled, though I wouldn't be surprised to see a fight at some point. The site selected is near the Washington Monument. As such, security concerns may prevail. I wonder what sort of design they'll propose....

• 6 months later...

Vietnam Memorial Visitor's Center?

The proposal for a visitor's center at the Vietnam Memorial seems to be gaining steam. I rather dislike the idea of cluttering the Mall with anything more. There is more than enough on the Mall at present. Further construction will only damage or destroy one of the greatest assets of the capital city. While there are many arguments for such a visitor's center, I feel that it wouldn't be a good idea to build it on the Mall.

The Washington Post

• 3 months later...

The Air Force Memorial is one of the more interesting designs I have seen lately. So many of the designs seem to rely too heavily upon clumsy interpretations of the Beaux Arts models of past memorials. Not that I don't like some of them, but it is refreshing to see something more daring in a proposal. I hope this one goes through.

• 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Replacement for Tomb of the Unknowns?

An Army committee is recommending the total replacement of the Tomb of the Unknowns at the Arlington National Cemetery. While there are flaws and cracks on the marble, they are just as easily repaired as replaced. The integrity of the 1932 memorial ought to be protected. to say nothing of the waste of money that a total replacement would be. Fortunately, there are a few in Congress who also believe that this wouldn't be a good idea. I just hope there are enough of them.

The National Trust

• 2 weeks later...

Developer Jeffrey Abramson wants to build a 12-story monument dedicated to peace and freedom -- a "Tower of Invincibility," as he calls it -- downtown. Sites under consideration include Lafayette Square across from the White House and the National Mall. However, he's pretty much open to any location within the city.

Here's a rendering:

PH2007100502405.jpg

Surely he jests. I like and respect classicism, but that rendering is an abomination. If the building looks even remotely like what is pictured, I hope it never sees the light of day. The idea is nice in a way, but also something which should be subject to public discussion. The beneficience of the very rich must not be discarded by city-builders, but it must be held in check by wise decisions. Washington is a public city in many ways and needs to be jealously guarded as such. What do you think?

That looks pretty horrendous indeed. Why exactly would they need to put a memorial to peace and freedom anyway? Weird concepts people come up with nowadays.

If you wanna do something like that, put it in some cornfield in Illinois, as a roadside tourist attraction, visible for miles around by the nearby interstate.

Surely he jests. I like and respect classicism, but that rendering is an abomination. If the building looks even remotely like what is pictured, I hope it never sees the light of day. The idea is nice in a way, but also something which should be subject to public discussion. The beneficience of the very rich must not be discarded by city-builders, but it must be held in check by wise decisions. Washington is a public city in many ways and needs to be jealously guarded as such. What do you think?

I believe the idea is to build a new museum in a more prominent location which would be seen by more visitors. I still wonder where it might be placed, as the Mall is rather cluttered at this point. I have no problem with the idea of another, larger museum in a better location. I simply am curious about where they would put this.

• 3 months later...

Park Service Proposal for the National Mall

A proposal by the National Park Service would replace the open area at Union Square with a permanent area for demonstrations. Supposedly, this would provide better facilities for the demonstrators involved. In reality, it could well mean the restriction of demonstrations to a narrowly configured (and monitored) area. As for replacing the reflecting pool, original or not, I still prefer keeping the reflecting pool.

The Washington Post

• 1 year later...

The National Museum of African American History and Culture will begin construction in 2012 and is set to be complete in 2015. The winning design was recently selected, which comes from the Freelon Group, Adjaye Associates, Davis Brody Bond, and SmithGroup architectural team. There were six firms that submitted designs. The museum is to go on the National Mall between the National Museum of Natural History and the Washington Monument. Here is the proposed design:

designophy_com_a1_1000001559_101.jpg

designophy_com_a1_1000001559_102.jpg

designophy_com_a1_1000001559_103.jpg

Archived