Baton Rouge Growth and Development

NCB

^Yeah it's frustrating to see the opposition opposing density when it's really not that dense <_<

Port will bid out security center

The Port of Greater Baton Rouge's board voted Thursday to give the port director authority to solicit bids on its planned Maritime Security Operations Center.

The three-story emergency command center will be an assembly point for command-and-control operations of various state, federal and local agencies involved in maritime emergency situations. It will also serve as dispatch facilities for all West Baton Rouge Parish firefighter and law enforcement agencies.

The command center will be built on the 8,000-square-foot, single-story original administrative building adjacent to the port's current offices. The building was last home to the West Baton Rouge Chamber of Commerce. The two upper floors will serve as a security operations center for any area emergencies along the Mississippi River. It could house large groups of emergency personnel for extended periods. The bottom floor will be West Baton Rouge's dispatching operations, culminating several years' worth of efforts to centralize those offices.

bizsecurity062709.jpg

http://www.2theadvocate.com/news/business/49282532.html

Love it...looks like a tugboat to me.

Tell me I'm not the only one who sees it.

This stinks...no suprise Capitol Lofts scaled down from 115 units down to 75 units....hopefully they can still be at least 4-stories...think they will. Good to see more residents for downtown...

The best bet for denser residential(6-7 strory) development will be around the proposed Victory Park around Sixth & Seventh Streets; between Spanish Town & Beauregard Town...that way none of them can complain. $$Price$ for downtown land is so expensive; only way to justify the risk is to go "vertical"; it's really the only alternative.

Capitol Lofts getting smaller, will keep current zoning

The developer of a controversial proposed apartment building in Spanish Town is scaling down the project, which he says will allow the project to be built within the property

• 2 weeks later...

HEY i live off o neal Ln......i was on my work to work and i noticed a crew working on that building infront of rave next to wendy's.....i seen them working on the windows in the front sunday...but i thought maybe someone had broken them...but they are really working...does anyone know whats going on?

Not sure what's going on there yis :dontknow: I'll have to go try and check that out...I don't live too far from that area; I stay in the Millerville/I-12 area...

Here's a new rendering of the scaled-down Capitol Lofts....

capitollofts2vu.jpg

The new design for the Capitol Lofts apartment project has
been scaled back to 67 units in a
four-story building. The original concept called for 115 units in a six-story building. I think they tried to add 9 more units for the townhouse section?? Now making it 76-units?

This is still getting complaints despite the downsizing from the "Historians" saying it's still "too big & bulky" + there are some old houses that could be demolished...at only 4-floors going down a sloped elevation; it's really not that tall. If parking is a problem; why not borrow the dilapadated parking structure over at the next block; since the new state bldg. is on "hold".

Edited by richyb83

Are these 3 projects closer to reality?? I-12 to Walker would be nice! Instead of just past Range Ave in Denham Springs.... A new I-10/Pecue Lane interchange would take some serious strain off of Siegen Lane & Highland Road as well as a direct route to the new Womans Hospital that will be off Airline Hwy....with the BR Loop in doubt; probably a good idea to go ahead with the La.1/I-10 Connector...

Delegation chasing federal highway money

When U.S. Sen. Mary Landrieu queried the Capital Region Legislative Delegation last week on potential projects for the federal highway bill, she received a quick reply outlining three high-priority initiatives. It

Good find richy83.

Hopefully these projects get off the ground yesterday!

Still a little uncertain about what the LA1/I-10 connector is. I thought it was another bridge over intercoastal at LA 415 in WBR, but I've thought that the proposed loop would cover that area.

Thanks cajun! It's about time for BR!!

The LA1/I-10 Connector will extend Hwy 415 south across the Intracoastal to La 1 at Hwy 988 (Beauleau Lane); it is only going to be 2.7 miles long; not sure if this will be a toll road?? Should be give some relief for hurricane evacuations??

I would think the Loop could tie-into this...however the proposed routes take it further west of Hwy 415...But I have a hard time ever seeing "2" new bridges over the Intracoastal...JMO

*I traced the route in green

mapla1.png

I can understand BOTH sides to a point...but a fair compromise has been made IMO...I understood why the A-5 status wasn't going to fly; but Capitol Lofts property is Zoned for A-4 now like it was supposed to be...they can share the dilapidated 2-level parking garage at the next block...when the Dept of Economic Bldg does finally go up.. could they still borrow the parking at night??

Hey buckett5425..living next door; what do you think of the 7 houses that would be lost??

Capitol Lofts still opposed after makeover

The developer of Capitol Lofts met with the Foundation for Historical Louisiana Wednesday and presented a new rendering of the project, though the foundation

Surprise.

You shouldn't buy a house in a neighborhood like that and not expect something like this to happen. There's at least a half dozen dumpy apartment buildings in that area....why draw the line now?

Oh well. Hopefully Baton Rouge can focus more on the Government/North Blvd corridor and the east side of downtown. Nice area for something like this...huge potential on Government street especially for bars, high end housing, and yuppie magnet establishments. It could be Baton Rouge's take on Magazine street if done right..

Edited by cajun

I could go on for hours about why i support this project, even if it were 14 stories. Maybe one day I'll go into a detailed explanation for my support.

As for the houses, Pries only bought the houses 6 or so months ago, yet, the houses have been run down for at least a decade now. Where was the civic association then, while they were watching these "historic" houses turn to junk? The civic association turned a blind eye, yet, now someone with a vision who is looking toward the future wants to do something with the land, and of course the civic association is up in arms. Looks to me that the civic association has its priorities in the wrong place.

Needless to say, the houses arnt worth restoring, or preserving, they have been allowed to fall apart for far to long.

Rick Lipscomb, of WHLC Architecture, invited me to meet with him next Friday. Unfortunately, they arnt hiring interns right now, but I'll take any opportunity to get my name out there. I'm sure we will end up talking about this project, especially since i live next door. Ill definitely let yall know what his opinion of the project is.

They do look nice! Alot of these Civic ASSociations are never satified...looks like they want to keep downtown BR in the stone age!

With Steve's help...maybe I can write to the Advocate's Opinion section?? And I'd like to hear what WLC Architects has to say!

Agreed cajun... Government Street has been mentioned potentially as a Magazine Street-type feel! The North Blvd corridor could easily support some nice 6-8 story mid-rise on the eastern-side toward the RR overpass!! Oh wait a minute...around here(according to Zoning/assoc.) that would be a high-rise :rolleyes:

Congrats BR!!! 9,000 Replies!!! :good: You have come a loong way!!!

Edited by richyb83

What do yall think of this??

St. Louis, St. Ferdinand might become two-way streets

The city has orally approved a plan to turn St. Louis and St. Ferdinand into two-way streets, says Davis Rhorer, executive director of the Downtown Development District. An official announcement is pending final analysis of a traffic model. Rhorer says the concept is part of a master plan that coincides with the $4.1 million North Boulevard Town Square development, slated to break ground next year. Construction on the two streets should begin by the end of 2009.

I think that's a great idea and they need to make Laurel St. 2-way while they're at it.

There's an area of land that was recently fenced off in this area. It's bordered by St. Louis, St. Phillip and Mayflower. Anyone know what's going on? I don't think there were any existing buildings. I'm sure you can see into it from I10, but they put screens on the fence so you couldn't see into it from the street level.

Thanks for the replies...the one-way streets have always been a question for me...I'll have to check-out the fenced-off area.

This isn't going away...Capitol Lofts probably deserved a thread all on it's own!

Spanish Town plan opposed; Planning panel backs demolition

Neighborhood residents and historic preservationists gathered in Spanish Town on Wednesday to denounce a recommendation by city planners to tear down seven historic homes on two nearby streets.

But it was the location they chose for the rally that they hoped would make the case most clearly: the front porch of a 1920s-era Craftsman-style bungalow they said is in far worse shape than the seven rental units that were given the go-ahead for demolition.

http://www.2theadvocate.com/news/52566617.html

This sucks...they even made mention of the future Economic state bldg at the next block...guess I'll never understand??

Developer stops project; Spanish Town apartment plans on hold for now

Developer David Slaughter has decided to pull plans for his Spanish Town apartments from the agenda of Thursday

Perkins Palms is a nice new mixed-use development in the ever-growing Perkins Road corridor...just wish this wasn't set-back so far off the road...more projects similar to this might also work closer to the urban-core; possibly along the Nicholson corridor btwn Downtown & LSU...and/or Mid-city in the Westmoreland shopping center

81409003.jpg

It has turned out to be nice, but wasn't there supposed to be another part to it?

Seems like there should be something in front of it. It just looks like a strip mall with apartments on the top to me...even comes with a parking lot in front....and correct me if I'm wrong, but said parking lot doesn't even connect to the adjacent properties.

Edited by cajun