Baton Rouge Growth and Development

NCB

Unfortunately a Sonic with a drive through is coming downtown at the corner of Government Street and 10th St. (on ramp to I-110) Myself included and the rest of Beauregard Town are not happy at all about this. It's pretty much a done deal. The DDD and neighborhood are putting pressure to at least get better aesthetics and a better planting scheme for the site.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, GeauxDowntownBR said:

Unfortunately a Sonic with a drive through is coming downtown at the corner of Government Street and 10th St. (on ramp to I-110) Myself included and the rest of Beauregard Town are not happy at all about this. It's pretty much a done deal. The DDD and neighborhood are putting pressure to at least get better aesthetics and a better planting scheme for the site.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hopefully they can restrict the lighting from impeding on neighboring businesses and avoid the more gaudy architecture and details of traditional Sonic restaurants.     

I've been a part of a team that had to work with Sonic in the distant past on a location in another state.  They were willing to have masonry walls, masonry-encased columns, standing seam roofing, monument signs, extensive fencing, landscape screening, and lighting restrictions.   

This is a curious location though.  It will take some creativity to develop it properly.  I'd be concerned with tall pole mounted signs that they'll be motivated to do with I-110 right there, as well as proper light, noise, and dumpster screening from the adjacent properties....not to mention the "drive through" microphone noises with housing so close.

The landscaping around the McDonalds down the street looks very nice.  It helps the restaurant hide the visual impact of the parked cars from the surrounding areas, and the architecture details and signage are reasonable.   Hopefully Sonic can do something similar.

Edited by cajun
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, dan326 said:

Maybe you can send them this as an example of something you'd like to see. Maybe they can make it craftsman style like the house it'll be by?

Sonic-21-of-24.jpg

Looks good.  If the Sonic doesn't work out, that could easily be turned into a BBQ place or some kind of patio restaurant.

Edited by cajun

Hey, I called it, a Rouse will anchor the Arlington shopping center at Lee and Burbank. It said it in the Business Report today. It also said there would be a midsize pet store which must be a PetSmart considering Petco went to Acadian. I'll admit even though we didn't need it I still kinda wanted to see a Target.

45 minutes ago, dan326 said:

Hey, I called it, a Rouse will anchor the Arlington shopping center at Lee and Burbank. It said it in the Business Report today. It also said there would be a midsize pet store which must be a PetSmart considering Petco went to Acadian. I'll admit even though we didn't need it I still kinda wanted to see a Target.

Hard to believe Dan.... you started that Arlington Creek "topic" way back in July 08'...stuck on pg # 8.....tried to pull it up earlier...but it's too late....Been Archived

This development has taken forever it seems...Home Depot was supposed to be another anchor with Target...wonder how much Rouse's will hurt Winn Dixie nearby?

Nifty website I found today; tracks all of the ongoing projects developing in the city: http://developingbatonrouge.com/

Another thing I found today that I believe was lost in all of chaos of earlier this half year is the new technology park @Highland had renderings released. It's going to be a very nice addition to the area...if only we could fix the traffic.  :/ 

@Highland Renderings

AtHighlandBuilding1CafeBack-600x459.jpg

AtHighlandAerial1-600x440.jpg

AtHighlandBuilding1Back-600x375.jpg

AtHighlandAerial2-600x468.jpg

AtHighlandBuilding1-600x396.jpg

http://developingbatonrouge.com/first-look-highland-tech-office-park/

• Like 1

11 hours ago, richyb83 said:

Thanks Mr Bernham for that website..will check it out...

I posted the news on the Tech Park back on Oct 13th...but not the renderings...glad you did that!   Game changer for that area...Like the look of the architecture :shades:.....anything other than those french faux pas suburban garden offices than have bombarded the area

This will be done in phases...My question will that 5-story building get built in 1st rendering?  bec it wasn't mentioned

Edited by richyb83
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

380-unit senior living facility, apartments planned for north Baton Rouge

A Tennessee developer is planning to build a $44 million, 380-unit senior living center and multifamily apartment complex called Howell Village on Howell Boulevard, with construction beginning in March or April.

Gary Gibbs says he bought the land at Howell Boulevard and 72nd Avenue in north Baton Rouge, near the airport, several years ago for $6 million. Once he obtains a permit, his company, Nashville-based CPI Construction, will begin work on the project.

Gibbs says he plans to build several buildings, including cottages for seniors and apartments, and have the project done roughly 22 months after construction begins. Many of the rooms will be available before the entire project is finished.

https://www.businessreport.com/article/380-unit-senior-living-facility-apartments-planned-north-baton-rouge

• Like 1

Surprised you didn't put that in your Northern  BR Development thread

My Howell Place thread is stuck back on PAGE 6...nothing since 2012'...Can remember how excited i was back in 06' when that area near the Airport was getting a major new development w Hotels(finally near an airport imagine that!)..restaurants ...hospital...office/ YMCA/Residential etc

BTW...The new 4 story building Downtown (Sixth St & North St) going up had a pic in the Advocate this morning...but no pic on the Internet

Edited by richyb83

On 1/11/2017 at 0:13 PM, richyb83 said:

BTW...The new 4 story building Downtown (Sixth St & North St) going up had a pic in the Advocate this morning...but no pic on the Internet

Howell Place development seemed to hit a hard stop with the recession and has not really recovered until recently.  I was actually surprised that the Coca Cola bottling plant went around the corner to Plank Rd instead of Howell Place, but I suspect they needed a really large piece of real estate.   The Chevrolet dealer makes more sense....they'll value more "visibility" that would come with commuters on Plank.  

It was weird that Boutin's restaurant opened in there at the time.  That puzzled me and I thought it would definitely run into trouble.   The particular spot they built behind the Hotels was not visible from Harding.  Just seemed weird for a restaurant.   IMO since the site is not visible from either Airline, Plank, or I-110 (and the Harding plots have all been developed into an IHOP, Smoothie King, etc.), the rest of the development will be mostly neighborhood services, gyms, apartments, distribution centers, or assisted living.     

If the ultimate goal was to develop retail, I think it would have been better to connect Howell to Plank and Harding instead of 72nd and Harding.   It would have served as a "cut through" and found more traffic.  The way it is now, the parts of the development ideal for retail have all been taken - some of them by hotels.

Edited by cajun
  • Like 1

Well it looks like Sonic atleast tried to make their restaurant a little different.

Downtown Baton Rouge getting new Sonic prototype

Sonic is opening a new concept restaurant and a local headquarters office at the intersection of South 10th and Government streets downtown.

Unlike those other outlets, the new 2,500-square-foot Sonic will be nearly twice the size of the average Sonic restaurant and won’t have any drive-in stalls. Sonic has traditionally defined itself as a drive-in restaurant. Instead, it will have indoor dining and a double drive-thru window.

The restaurant is being developed on a 40,000-square-foot site that also includes a 4,000-square-foot, two-story building. The building is being renovated to house Tucker’s corporate offices.

Vertical construction on the site is under way and Jarreau hopes it will be complete with the restaurant open for business early in the second quarter.

Here's what comes up when you google "new prototype sonic". If any Sonic execs are reading this, please don't make it an ugly, plain all-beige block.

SONIC-Drive-In---Indoor-Dining-Prototype.jpg

Edited by dan326

On 1/17/2017 at 8:12 PM, dan326 said:

^Well, this statement doesn't really contribute anything but I doubt it'll be built anytime soon. I have a government job so I'm starting to learn how things operate.

I was just complaining since flood control (or lack thereof) would be a major barrier to development for the Baton Rouge area.    

The truth is that you can find good public schools in the Baton Rouge area if you wanted to (Zachary, Central, Watson, Ascension, etc.).   The costs of living are low.   The area is relatively insulated from storm surge and hurricanes.   Winters are no big deal at all.    It's an easy drive to Texas, Tennessee, or the beaches in Florida.   Taxes aren't that high.   

The area would grow if there was better infrastructure.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Goodwill store slated for O’Neal Lane

ALEXANDRIA BURRIS
March 10, 2017

A vacant tract of land at 2435 O’Neal Lane, near North Li Rocchi Drive, will soon be the site of a Goodwill store.

Developers John Lund and Nick Xiao, founders of N&J Land Company, are building the 10,050-square-foot, single-story thrift store at the site. Permits were pulled on Feb. 27, and construction is expected to begin next week.

Lund says construction of the new store could take about 120 days to complete and will cost $865,000.

businessreport.com

Well...

J.C. Penney to close Cortana Mall store

In yet another blow to Cortana Mall, J.C. Penney Co. confirmed this morning that it plans to close its anchor store in the aging retail center at Airline Highway and Florida Boulevard.

The national retailer, which announced plans in February to shutter upwards of 140 stores and offer buyouts to thousands of employees, released the complete list of closures this morning. The JCPenney location at the Mall of Louisiana will remain open, and only two other locations in Louisiana will be closed, one in DeRidder and another in Slidell.

All told, the company will close 138 stores nationwide and one supply chain facility in Lakeland, Florida, as part of a continuing effort to advance growth and long-term profitability.

Approximately 5,000 JCPenney employees will be impacted by the U.S. store closures, the company says in a news release. Most stores will begin the liquidation process by April 17.  

https://www.businessreport.com/article/j-c-penney-close-cortana-mall-store

Edited by dan326

On 3/8/2017 at 11:32 PM, richyb83 said:

Tapestry at Bocage(124-units on 3.8 acres) off Jefferson Hwy behind Panera Bread

Partial view...goes back pretty far... impressive how much larger 4-story apartments look than 3-stories :shades: Gives that area a bigger city feel

DSCN1465_zpswmcwy1xr.jpg

That's actually a really high quality look IMO.   Turned out better than I expected.  

On 3/18/2017 at 11:50 AM, Antrell Williams said:

Online shopping and fast delivery are killing them. 

Penny's and Sears are closing down over 110 stores each this year.   I'm actually surprised Sears is even open.   

Was hoping for some feedback..Thanks Cajun :thumbsup:  Cruising up Jefferson Hwy Tapestry Park looks impressive from the road behind Panera Bread in BR's mini-Beverly Hills District.....just looks better than the plethora of run-of-mill 3-story condo's all over the place...

BR's Tallest Residential Bldgs had been hideous Dinosaurs....Kirby Smith at LSU... Presbyterian Apts (North Street)..and Swaggart's 12-story dorms ...until   525 Lafayette came at IBM Block; which is still maybe a close 3rd/4th?....

The Southgate Towers at LSU at 8-floors & The Standard at 6 are the Tallest around LSU (& soon to be West Parker condo's); the 5 floor Sterling at Burbank look excellent & dense flanking Southgate Towers...Crescent @ University Lake is a nice Mid-rise

The 7-story Meridian Condo's(built in 80's boom) off South Sherwood Forest Blvd is still interesting to this day; a bit of an enigma

I'd like to see more mid-rises 5 - 8 floors around BR besides just Downtown & LSU

Of course River Place tower on the riverfront :shades:

Yeah along w internet etc...Closed in Malls becoming relics of the past...as mid-sized city like BR can only support an average of one these days...Mall of La. was the "Hammer"; Towne Center & Perkins Rowe were the "Nails"......dude at GNC said they might be there another year

Edited by richyb83