Louisiana Sports Talk

NCB

Man, I wish the Saints would have been able to get Dorsey! It sounded like they talked to teams 2-5 and they just couldn't move up. I think he would have been good for the team and good for the City of New Orleans. Also on the LSU front, I cannot believe that Early Doucet has now fallen to the 2nd day, wow. I am also suprised that the Shockey trade still has not happened, and may not now that the Saints have used their 2nd round pick. Today has not went as I hoped it would. :dontknow:

You and me both jcasey. The Chiefs just were not interested in the Saints offer. Dorsey is a nice guy/class act and an explosive player. I got to meet him before. I wish him nothing but the best up in KC.

The Saints did manage to trade up to the 7th pick and get DT-Sedrick Ellis from USC. He was rated just slightly behind Dorsey. I thought the Shockey trade might happen too; I think he would have been a nice fit with Payton and the offense.

In the 2nd Round the Saints got CB-Tracy Porter who is from Port Allen just across the river from BR. His Dad played at LSU.

Also the Bears took OT-Chris Williams with he 14th pick; he played his ball at Catholic HS in BR.

Yep jcasey, whoever takes Early Doucet tommorrow in the 3rd Round will be getting a "steal"!!! I can't believe it either. QB-John David Booty from Shreveport should be taken in the 3rd or 4th round.

Besides Doucet, I expect to see a busy 2nd day for LSU players; CB-Chevis Jackson; S-Craig Steltz(Metairie); LB-Ali Highsmith; RB-Jacob Hester(Shreveport); and possibly QB-Matt Flynn and CB-Jonathan Zenon(Breaux Bridge)

You and me both jcasey. The Chiefs just were not interested in the Saints offer. Dorsey is a nice guy/class act and an explosive player. I got to meet him before. I wish him nothing but the best up in KC.

The Saints did manage to trade up to the 7th pick and get DT-Sedrick Ellis from USC. He was rated just slightly behind Dorsey. I thought the Shockey trade might happen too; I think he would have been a nice fit with Payton and the offense.

In the 2nd Round the Saints got CB-Tracy Porter who is from Port Allen just across the river from BR. His Dad played at LSU.

Also the Bears took OT-Chris Williams with he 14th pick; he played his ball at Catholic HS in BR.

Yep jcasey, whoever takes Early Doucet tommorrow in the 3rd Round will be getting a "steal"!!! I can't believe it either. QB-John David Booty from Shreveport should be taken in the 3rd or 4th round.

Besides Doucet, I expect to see a busy 2nd day for LSU players; CB-Chevis Jackson; S-Craig Steltz(Metairie); LB-Ali Highsmith; RB-Jacob Hester(Shreveport); and possibly QB-Matt Flynn and CB-Jonathan Zenon(Breaux Bridge)

Yeah, it seems that KC wanted Dorsey and weren't going to give him to the Saints. Who could blame them. They are getting one of the best DTs that has came out of college in a while, a guy with NO character issues and someone that will do a lot in the community. I'm not mad at the Saints either, we know they tried to move up. I also still think the Shocky trade could happen, I just wonder what the Saints will end up giving for him.

I didn't know that Porter and Williams are from Louisiana, but it figures. We produce so many good players it is unreal. It's evidence of the stats you posted earlier. I could definitely see Doucet, Booty, Jackson, Steltz, Zenon and Highsmith going in the 3rd to 4th rounds. I think that anyone who takes a chance on Hester and Flynn may just be surprised. Let's face it, they are not typical NFL players but those two have some intangibles. Hester being so determined and Flynn having so much poise, it just seems as though someone should give them a shot. I guess we'll see tomorrow!

So far so good.

3rd

#68 Chevis Jackson to Atlanta

#69 Jacob Hester to San Diego

#81 Early Doucet to Arizona

4th

#120 Craig Steltz to Chicago

5th

#137 John David Booty to Minnesota

(I must add that I hate this happened. I am a huge Packers fan and they traded this pick to Minnesota. I think that they are possibly a good QB away from being a very, very good team. I hope this does not come back to haunt Green Bay.)

7th

#209 Matt Flynn to Green Bay

#232 Keith Zinger to Atlanta

Ali Highsmith and Jonathan Zenon were undrafted.

Edited by jcasey

Thanks for the updates jcasey :thumbsup: No doubt Day 2 was interesting!!

The Cardinals got them a steal in the 3rd with Doucet; perfect situation for him to line-up in the slot with Boldin and Fitzgerald! Hester has to be excited headed to the Chargers!!! I wish Favre had played another year; has he really retired?? The Packers took Brohm in the 2nd; could Flynn be headed to the practice squad?? Will Flynn bounce around a few teams before finding a home?? Steltz is a player and super-cool too! Not a Bears fan; but got to route for him! Hope his shoulder is O.K! Can't believe Zinger got drafted!

Here's a Re-cap:

1-5 DT-Glenn Dorsey Chiefs LSU

1-14 OT- Chris Williams Bears Vanderbilt (BR-Catholic HS)

2-40 CB- Tracy Porter Saints Indiana (Port Allen)

2-44 RB- Matt Forte Bears Tulane (Slidell)

3-68 CB- Chevis Jackson Falcons LSU

3-69 RB- Jacob Hester Chargers LSU

3-81 WR- Early Doucet Cardinals LSU

4-120 S- Craig Steltz Bears LSU

4-129 CB-Jonathan Wilhite Patriots Auburn (Monroe)

5-137 QB- John David Booty Vikings USC (Shreveport)

6-199 DE-Robert Henderson Giants So.Miss (Ponchatoula)

7-209 QB- Matt Flynn Packers LSU

7-219 OT- Demetrius Bell Bills NW La. (Summerfield)

7-232 TE- Kieth Zinger Falcons LSU

7-249 SS-Chris Horton Redskins UCLA (New Orleans)

*State schools played HS ball out-of-state

3-80 OLB- Bryan Smith Eagles McNeese St.

6-180 DB- Kareem Moore Redskins Nicholls St.

*Transfered from LSU

4-126 WR- Lavelle Hawkins Titans California

*Free Agent Signings*

LB- Luke Sanders Saints

OLB-Ali Highsmith Cardinals

Waiting to hear on Zenon and a few others....

I am proud of all the LSU Tigers (drafted or not) and all our state talent! Way to go Louisiana!

As for the Green Bay QB situation, I have had a hard time believing that Brett will stay retired (especially after his Letterman appearance) but the Packers seem to be trying to ensure he does not come back. They are retiring his number in the FIRST game of the year! After his Letterman appearance they placed him on the reserve/retired list and have now drafted two quarterbacks. If he wanted to come back, if Ted Thompson wanted to keep his job, they could not deny him. He's not going to play anywhere but Green Bay. I wish that he would have played another year or two, because I think he has it in him. I also believe that they would have had an excellent shot at winning a SuperBowl, but I think that is now gone. I was depressed for about a week after he retired! I am a huge GB and Brett Favre fan. I am giving Aaron Rodgers a chance, but in my heart I am pulling for Matt Flynn to become the man in Green Bay!

I just caught some bad news on ESPN. Les Miles has dismissed Ryan Perrilloux from the team. I hate this has happened, but it seems that Les HAD to do it.

This is Les Miles statement from LSUSports.net.

"Ryan was given every opportunity to be a part of this football team,

Hate to see this. What a shame! Guess I'm not totally suprised. All those mistakes finally added up. Looks like he's headed down the same path as PacMan Jones and Mike Vick.

As the new starter next season, I expected LSU to challenge for another National Title. LSU's back-up's aren't bad; but not RP's caliber. I can see him transfering to Grambling; the offers from the smaller schools are already lining up.

Congrats to the Hornets for eliminating the Mavs 4-1 in impressive fashion. I would love to see them smash the Spurs the same way. And there will be no "hack-a Shaq" for the Spurs to rely on either.

Edited by richyb83

Big time props to the Hornets!! Down by 4 at the half; outscored the Spurs 56-33 in the 2nd half! Winning 101-82. David West hit for 30 and CP3 with another double-double!! Duncan tied a playoff career low with only 5 :lol:

Game 2 Monday Night! Things in New Orleans are buzzin' huh Nate??

No more tricks with the fire please :lol::rolleyes:

Game 2 Monday Night! Things in New Orleans are buzzin' huh Nate??

You bet, Richy! Even more so after the second blowout win for the Hornets over the Spurs last night, 102-84. David West had an extremely tough game, with only 10 points, (though he did have a solid 10 rebounds) but the slack was picked up by CP3, with his 30 points and 12 assists, Peja, with his 25 points, and scoring and energy when it counted from Mo Pete, Bonzi Wells, and Julian Wright. The Hornets now lead the Spurs 2-0, but the series shifts back to San Antonio, so the Hornets have to keep their cool and keep working hard, just as they did with Dallas.

Here are a few shots from inside and outside of the New Orleans Arena from the last two Hornets wins over the Spurs: (All photos courtesy of Getty Images and the NBA)

d8f7fa7d60b98aadef0678822e981119-getty-80391798lm021_san_antonio_s.jpg

9b9f978104b6d0e945361744d94d5a1e-getty-80391798cg014_san_antonio_s.jpg

884be89e928725854527cda5fa70d22b-getty-80391799lm006_san_antonio_s.jpg

9c70f3d9a608916665d898fd620cc308-getty-80391799lm027_san_antonio_s.jpg

^Great flickr shots! Hopefully there will be reason to celebrate tonight!

Big Game 5 at The Hive tonight!!! Game 5 Winners in the 2nd Round have a 84% of taking the series! Game 4 was painful to watch; the game was basically over in the 2nd qtr. CP3 needs more help! Peja has had trouble since the switch w/ Bowen guarding him. Chandler must do better; West has to get the goofy Oberto out of his head!

Home Teams are an impressive 15-1 in the 2nd Round so far!

GO HORNETS!!!

Edited by richyb83

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to give a "shout out" to the hottest baseball team in the country; NOW on a record breaking "23" game WIN STREAK!!! :wacko: It's crazy!! LSU won/dominated their Regional BR this past weekend outscoring the opponets 36-9 in three games!!! Last weekend the Tigers won 4 games to become SEC Tourney Champs.

MORE BASEBALL at the BOX at next weekend's Super Regional! LSU will play host to UC- Irvine in the Best 2 out of 3. Should be a great contest. UC-Irvine won their regional in Nebraska; and was in the CWS last year!

Edited by richyb83

• 2 weeks later...

LSU's headed to OMAHA!!!! :yahoo: Taking 2 out of 3 from UC-Irvine this past weekend! After losing Game 1; LSU had a comeback for the ages in Game 2; down 7-2 going to the 8th; they scored 2 then 5 more in the 9th to win 9-7. In Game 3 it was Old school GORILLA BALL :tough: as LSU smashed the Ant-eaters 21-7!!!

As the CWS #7 seed they will face the #2 seed UNC Tar Heels Sunday at 6:00....GO TIGERS!!!!

The Saints signed DE-Will Smith to a "big-time" contract making him the 3rd highest $$$ paid DE in the league!

What a dramatic COME-BACK Win by the Tigers!!!! :w00t: Down 5-2 going into the 9th LSU scored 4 runs to win 6-5 to beat Rice and avoid elimination in the CWS!!

LSU plays UNC again in elimination game Thursday at 6:00 PM. UNC beat LSU 8-4 in Sunday. The blind ref that made the pathetic call(it wasn't even close) on the out at first base killed the monmentum with the tying run coming to the plate in the 8th. UNC lost to Fresno State yesterday 5-3.

Edited by richyb83

The Cardiac Cats! What a comeback yesterday afternoon! :w00t:

I'm one of the somewhat rare New Orleanians that grew up supporting both Tulane and LSU baseball, so I'm very happy to see LSU's program back on top. I think it's safe to say college baseball is back in SE Louisiana, with LSU and Tulane back on top, and UNO now having put together a very solid baseball program. (Back to back national tournament appearances for the UNO Privateers) :thumbsup:

Yeah IC a SEC Finals would be nice! Georgia is siting pretty in the Winners Bracket while LSU has to work their way thru the Loser's Bracket. LSU's team is really young with only one Senior starter. There is no quit in this team.

It's been a nice run for the SEC with the previous two BCS Champions(Florida, LSU)..and this year Georgia looks like the front-runner to represent. Basketball had Florida winning consecutive titiles...and track I think Arkansas took that??

That's cool Nate. I know there's some bad blood with in state rivals; but I like to see them all do well. Tulane has had a strong program like you said; UNO gave LSU fits this year winning 2 out of 3. Even U-L Lafayette has had sucess in the past reaching the CWS. No doubt baseball in Louisiana has been strong! It's been a great run seeing LSU win 26 out the last 28! :thumbsup:

Edited by richyb83

^Heh, true. An all SEC CWS final would be cool. Georgia's offense has been unstoppable and the bullpen is surprisingly good for a college team.

2008 is going to be a great year for UGA, I'll say that.

Arkansas dominating in track and field...I would have never expected that ;)

• 2 weeks later...

The Hornets made some changes to their official logo recently:

Old logo

NewOrleansHornets.png

New logo

hornetsnew.png

Additionally, the Hornets will be using the "Fleur de Bee" logo more locally and it will appear on the new team merchandise

fleurdebee.jpg

It also looks like the Hornets will be sporting new uniforms next season. The rumor around town is that pinstripes will be making a comeback, the teal road uni's are out, and they will be replaced by a new "creole blue" color. I have no idea what "creole blue" looks like, but I think it may be the lighter shade of blue used in the new official logo. Apparently, the new uniforms will be revealed in August.

I'm really liking the new logo as well, Richy. :thumbsup:

I don't know if we have any professional wrestling fans on the board, but WWE Monday Night RAW will be live in the New Orleans Arena tommorow night. It will be broadcast on the USA network from 8-10 p.m.

9791a.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Some may disagree because of his attitude problem; but I am excited!!!! This is a serious upgrade and Drew Brees loves throwing to the TE's. My only question?? Did the Saints give up too much??

New Orleans Saints acquire disgruntled tight end Jeremy Shockey from New York Giants for draft picks

NEW ORLEANS (Associated Press) -- Jeremy Shockey was traded to the Saints for two draft picks Monday, giving New Orleans a disgruntled star tight end who watched from the sideline while injured as the New York Giants surged to the Super Bowl title.

The Giants will get second- and fifth-round picks in the 2009 draft. The deal must be approved by the league and is contingent on Shockey passing a physical.

Shockey, a four-time Pro Bowl selection who spent six seasons with the Giants, broke his leg against the Washington Redskins on Dec. 16.

He is known for his offensive ability more than his blocking, and was unhappy even before the injury _ he was asked to block in addition to catch. Once hurt, he didn't like the fact that much was made of the Giants winning with rookie Kevin Boss in his place.

Shockey had 371 catches for 4,228 yards and 27 touchdowns with the Giants. He was drafted out of Miami with the 14th overall pick in the 2002 draft and became the Rookie of the Year.

The Saints have been seeking a tight end who is more of a downfield threat than starter Eric Johnson, who caught 48 passes for 378 yards last year.

http://batonrouge.cox.net/cci/sports/local...lidateaparticle

***ALSO....Glad to see the Hornets sign Chris Paul to a long-term deal! And acquire Posey from the Champion Boston Celtics.

Edited by richyb83

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys! Long time, no see! I like the look of the new Hornets logo. It looks alittle more modern, and the Fleur de Bee logo is a nice touch that takes advantage of the city's history.

I'm interested to see what happens with Shockey and the Saints. He's got talent, no doubt, but his attitude could be a problem.

And now I look forward to football season--in college and professional. LSU vs. UGA is going to be huge. Last year's champ versus one of the top favorites for this year's championship!

Thanks for stopping by IC :thumbsup: How are things in Statesboro/Georgia Southern??

Coach Peyton has worked with Shockey in the past; they got chemistry. It should work out well. He's another weapon for Drew Brees, who likes to throw to the TE's. When healthy, Shockey is a Top 3 TE in the NFC w/ Witten and Cooley IMO.

Hard to believe College Football starts in less than a month!!! The SEC schedule(within itself) is so BRUTAL beating up each other!!! A prime example is the "Round Robin" between Georgia/Florida and LSU. Who ever comes out of that mess undefeated will have to be recognized as a Title contender. Does each team come out of that with one loss?? Going undefeated through an entire SEC schedule with Auburn, Tennessee, So.Carolina, Alabama, etc. can eventually wear a team out. The teams that stay healthy will no doubt be key!

An early USC/Ohio State contest should be interesting!

Edited by richyb83