Richmond off-topic postings

Cotuit

Haha. Buturb sounds like a vegetable.

Yea! Like Rhubarb. I kinda like Urburt. :lol:

Sorry Cadeho, Dogg is copyrighted. :lol::shades:

Hey dogg, did you read the Washington Post piece coupe found about nightlife in Richmond? The link's in the dining out thread.

Edited by burt

From the population list above, I estimate that there are 21 cities/counties in the Richmond Statistical area with a total population of 1,175,654. The area covers a lot of territory and I may have included some far-out counties that should not be on the list, like King William. But, on the other hand, I think Emporia is now included. Am I wrong? I would like to see the estimates of others.

I am still convinced that the Richmond Statistical area includes counties as far away as Sussex and Caroline, but NOT Fredericksburg or Spottsylvania. This is a discussion that has been going on over at RCW. The posting directly above the March 19th entry lists populations of cities and counties in the state, and in order to come up with my 1,175,000 figure, outlying counties had to be included. Somewhere there is a map showing the boundaries of all the Metro Statistical Districts in the State.

Statistical and Metro areas are two different animals.

I'm almost positive Caroline County is included now, as are others.

As I've said, Statistical areas and Metro areas are different. If you count up the territory inside Chesterfield, Henrico, Hanover, New Kent, Charles City, Prince George and Dinwiddie (considered Metro Richmond) , the population figure is significantly less than 1,100,000. Expand to adjoining counties, considered to be the Richmond trading area (read Census Bureau Statistical), and the figures grow.

Edited by burt

Well, fellas, it's 1AM and I just came in from a night on the town, and damned if I can find results from the big GMU/UCONN game. Sports channels at this hour just run repeats! Am I a day ahead of myself? Maybe the big game is tomorrow (Saturday) night? If that's true, I bet ur nails are down to the nubs, coupe!

Anyway the news channels (network and cable) can't report enough on GMU Cinderella. Apparently this hasn't happened since my youth!

I am going to wait for VCU (formerly known as RPI) to reach this level. Now that GMU has acheived such prominence in the Colonial Athletic Association, it just MIGHT happen!

City crime is down for first quarter

Overall, 13 percent drop seen, even with 47 percent jump in homicides

Despite an unsettling spike in homicides jump-started by nine killings in the first six days of the year, police say city crime is down 13 percent through late March.

The drop in overall crime was just one topic in a wide-ranging, 90-minute news conference called yesterday by Mayor L. Douglas Wilder to outline the city's public-safety strategy on policing, prosecution, truancy, homelessness, civic cleanup and youth employment.

* a 21 percent drop in aggravated assaults;

* a 37 percent decline in rapes; and

* a 12 percent reduction in robberies.

Edited by RVA_tommy

:cry::cry: Coupe, my friend, I watched til the first half but then had to go out. Was so sorry to learn just now that it didn't go the way it should have.

"Pick yourself up, dust yourself off and start all over again" as I believe Jerome Kern said in one of his songs.

That GMU got as far as it did is remarkable! :)

One of the announcers said that with 28,000 students GMU is the State's largest University. Doesn't VCU have 29,000 to 30,000 enrollees?

Let's do the time warp again!

Half an hour to go until we leap into the future!

Is now the time to spring forward? Does Daylight Savings Time start at 2AM? If so, I sure am glad you alerted me because I had no idea! My inattention would have made me late for a very important engagement at 6PM today (Sunday). But I suppose my Cable TV clock will automatically adjust itself as it usually does at these time swap times.

:) That means I can sit up for another hour and continue to read everybody else's interesting postings and not lose any sleep! :lol:

Think I'll have a beer!

Damn! It's 3AM all of a sudden! I'm not gaining an hour, I'm losing it. Better go to bed. Goodnight all.

But I notice that UP doesn't automatically change its clock!

Haha Burt, yeah that hour went on vacation! It'll be back later this year to make an extra long night. I was so glad I didn't work third shift when the time goes back, they have to repeat the 1 o'clock hour! My grandmother hates it, she says her body never gets used to it... however I've never had a problem adjusting.

Think of it too this way, we have to be everywhere an hour earlier but the time shows later.

It seems like a simple thing to change my UP clock to DST. I'm going to post this now and see if I did the right thing.

Well, it's 2:25PM, not 1:25. I checked the DST box on the board setting, but it didn't change anything. I give up!

Edited by burt