Carolina Hurricanes

I see tomorrow night's Game 4 : as do-or-die. :(

They are down 1 friggin game. Give me a break.

Game 4 is the entire series. Win, and the Canes regain momentum and home ice. Lose, and their margin for error drops to zero.

They're fully capable of pulling it off... but I'll be cheering on my beloved Sabres. :yahoo:

• Replies 487
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow, that was one hell of a series. Glad I bought tickets.

I have to say though, I'm still disappointed at the lack of support for the sport here. I mean, it's game 7 of the conference finals, you know someone's walking out with a trophy... yet there were still a bunch of empty seats tonight.

Wow, that was one hell of a series. Glad I bought tickets.

I have to say though, I'm still disappointed at the lack of support for the sport here. I mean, it's game 7 of the conference finals, you know someone's walking out with a trophy... yet there were still a bunch of empty seats tonight.

According to TSN.ca, there were 18,730 in attendance tonight.

According to Wikipedia, the RBC Center seats 18,763 for ice hockey.

I'd say that's pretty good. Not a sell-out, but this is a team that hasn't seen a Cup appearance since '02. If the 'Canes continue this level of play, I suspect the RBC Center'll be sold out for the '06-'07 season. (And if I can make my way up to Raleigh for a game, you'd better believe I'll be there -- the Carolina/Buffalo series was the first time I've ever watched NHL games. Ever. And now they've got a fan in me.)

What a way to start hurricane season, right? ;)

I wouldn't exactly say there was "a bunch" of empty seats. The corners on the second level had a very few dozen empties. They were $160 a piece, mind you. How much would they have had to drop ticket prices to get those 100 or so seats sold vs. how much they made by charging current prices? I think Jim Rutherford will buy up those empties any time for that kind of margin.

One thing's for sure, Game 7 made a LOT of money for the franchise. Not only did they sell more tickets, but they were able to charge advertisers like Lenovo and Advance Auto Parts big time rates for one more big event. Good for them!! They need this after some slow times here and there.

I got tickets this morning for Game 5. I figure it is the best bet to see the Stanley Cup won in person for just $100. I may be wrong...

Does anyone know whom I could reach to get downtown buildings lit with red this coming week? It would be great to get a city shot on national TV of our skyline decked in red lighting instead of the usual white. OLN cable network is covering our first two home games, but Game 5 (on Wed - 6/14) will be covered on NBC.

........Does anyone know whom I could reach to get downtown buildings lit with red this coming week? It would be great to get a city shot on national TV of our skyline decked in red lighting instead of the usual white. OLN cable network is covering our first two home games, but Game 5 (on Wed - 6/14) will be covered on NBC........

Baltimore had its buildings lit purple when the Ravens were in the Super Bowl. It was cute.

WOOOOOOO!!!

got game 2 tickets!

does anyone know if any other teams (nhl, nba, etc) do the slideshow on the ice like the hurricanes do before the players come back out of the locker room? it is such an awesome idea, and always gets me pumped up! (i like "the rising", but i think "right now" by van halen would get a super message across and get everyone more rowdy)

just wondering if the slideshow was our original idea

WOOOOOOO!!!

got game 2 tickets!

does anyone know if any other teams (nhl, nba, etc) do the slideshow on the ice like the hurricanes do before the players come back out of the locker room? it is such an awesome idea, and always gets me pumped up! (i like "the rising", but i think "right now" by van halen would get a super message across and get everyone more rowdy)

It's not original to Raleigh. I know that Buffalo installed a similar system in 2003. If I'm not mistaken, it was to supposed include video too. Not sure if that's where it debuted, or who else has it.

My question is if the Canes win the Cup, where do we celebrate? Fayetteville Street was supposed to be done, but it's not. :angry: That would have been the PERFECT way to open it! Oh well. I guess that leaves Hillsborough St. approaching the Capitol.

Thoughts?

Here's my rundown of Game 7 Thursday night:

It was the second-biggest win/moment to ever happen IN Raleigh, just behind David Thompson's return to Reynolds Coliseum in the 1974 regionals after nearly killing himself in an attempt to jump over 6'8" Phil Spence:

My wife surprised me with Game 7 tickets as a belated 7th anniversary presents. SEVEN!!! The tickets were at will-call, so she wrapped a shiny 2006 penny. Copper is one of the traditional 7th anniversary presents. Also, I recently have found pennies on my way into the RBC Center for games. We've won every game before which I've found a penny.

I recorded all of the news shows. Did anyone see the guy on ?NBC17? who said he met these Buffalo fans at the airport who asked him how to get to the RBC Center? He said,

"Go get on 40 West until you reach 85. Then take 85 South and go for about an hour and a half."

Laughing He sent them to Charlotte!

I could not believe what was happening during the second intermission. We had totally outplayed them, yet found ourselves down with only a period left. But hey! This area has sent a team to 20 of the last 26 Final Fours, right? So we know a little something about single-elimination pressure. I just wasn't sure the hockey team was on our level yet :)

During the first stoppage of the 3rd Period they played "Don't Stop Believin'" to which I yelled,"Don't play JOURNEY!! We're so much cooler than that!" Doug Weight scored in the next sequence and we started yelling "Play more JOURNEY!!" I later looked at it on TV during that stretch and Kevyn Adams (who played SO much better than he has in a while) and Staal were kind of jammin' to that song on the bench. Funny. Maybe that song will rank up there with "The Rising" as the themes for this run.

http://www.rhapsody.com/journey

http://www.rhapsody.com/brucespringsteen/therising

I actually wasn't excited just after the Weight goal because the red light never went on. Apparently the puck hit the center vertical post in the back of the goal and bounced out, not even fazing the net, so the goal judge missed it. When Rod scored, though, I jumped a couple of feet in the air.

We sat in the RBC Center's North end tonight, but every goal in the game was in the south end. Unreal. But....I was IN the building!

After the game's first 3 goals, which were all luck goals, it was great to see us score some bona fide good offensive kinds of goals.

I announced most of the line changes out loud, more to myself, and it really seemed like I was calling out "Weight" more than I was "Staal". Staal's line got some good looks, but the 3rd line tonight really shined (Weight, Whitney, Ladd). Alright, the stats really don't bear this out so much. Brindy's line really played best.

Laviolette started going with a few weird lines there with about 7min left. The Williams penalty introduced several cycles of penalty killers, and we went with standard lines after that.

Did anyone hear Doug Weight in the post-game press conference? This guy is one of the best-spoken athletes I've ever heard. What a breath of fresh air.

Erik Cole - When they show you on the Jumbotron, just pump your fist a couple of times. Milk it a LITTLE!!!! It probably doesn't matter, though. The crowd can't possibly go more nuts.

Thanks guys for not touching the Prince of Wales Trophy, although it really is one of the most gorgeous trophies out there.

We had a couple of nice Sabres fans in our section. They celebrated their goals, which was fine, but wished us to win the cup when they left. We all congratulated them for a great season. It's too bad that the weekend Sabre fans and some of their fans on this board can't act like the ones sitting with us. I'd pull for THOSE PEOPLE's team if we weren't in it. I guess we all have bad fans here and there, but I really don't remember anyone else's fans coming in and acting as classless as some of those weekend Sabre fans.

I tell you, I think the March version of the Sabres would have beaten the March Canes, but these are different teams now. The Sabres, depleted as they were, were still an emotionally tough team. These Canes are better than that 2002 team. They are deeper, faster, and very emotionally stable, yet they can let some horses out of the barn. They also control games a little more offensively from that magical '02 team.

Wow - Think about this: the Carolina Hurricanes have now been to 2 of the last 4 Stanley Cup Finals!

Tripp Tracy was on NBC17 news and was fantastic. If he'd drop his "um"s, he'd have a real future. His blog is extremely well-written, BTW. Forslund was great as always. WTVD got stomped in the coverage war. Here's Tripp's blog:

http://www.carolinahurricanes.com/custom/radB68FF.asp

I like our chances to win The Cup, though. Edmonton had mass sickness on the team a week ago, but they have a NINE day layoff!!! That's a whooooooole lot of sittin' around the hotel for the lowest seed in the tournament riding a wave a momentum. They are hanging out in NY now to get used to the Eastern Time Zone. The Canes get an ideal 4-day rest.

I've been trying to get anyone involved in getting the Progress Energy and Hannover II people to light their buildings in red this week. If anyone knows the right person, please pass that idea along.

All I have left to say is: BEEP BEEP!!!

http://www.rhapsody.com/13stories/funkypopsexyhousera

By reading DMccall's post, I see that I am not the only one totally taken over by the playoff run. I could not sleep the night after Game 7. I was horse, tired and beat on Friday, but well worth it.

I went to around 34 games this year during the season and as a STH for 5 years, this is all I could hope for. If the Canes win, I say bring the parade to Glenwood South since Fay St will not be finished (what a shame). I was not out DT this weekend. Did anyone see any of the hockey TV guys around? The CBC guys are not well known but I thought I had seen them in an earlier series. It was more noticeable with the ESPN guys. I saw Panger, John Saunders, Barry Melrose and what ever that other "pretty face guy" was in Sullivans after one of the SCF games in 2002.

I bettcha Don Cherry will be there tonight and I guess Melrose. I wonder what other people will be there. (Having Kid Rock at one of the games was a good move by Karmonos)

Go Canes GO !!!!!

I wouldn't exactly say there was "a bunch" of empty seats. The corners on the second level had a very few dozen empties. They were $160 a piece, mind you. How much would they have had to drop ticket prices to get those 100 or so seats sold vs. how much they made by charging current prices? I think Jim Rutherford will buy up those empties any time for that kind of margin.

One thing's for sure, Game 7 made a LOT of money for the franchise. Not only did they sell more tickets, but they were able to charge advertisers like Lenovo and Advance Auto Parts big time rates for one more big event. Good for them!! They need this after some slow times here and there.

I got tickets this morning for Game 5. I figure it is the best bet to see the Stanley Cup won in person for just $100. I may be wrong...

Does anyone know whom I could reach to get downtown buildings lit with red this coming week? It would be great to get a city shot on national TV of our skyline decked in red lighting instead of the usual white. OLN cable network is covering our first two home games, but Game 5 (on Wed - 6/14) will be covered on NBC.

One thing to remember about empy seats. Some of those people are in boxes. They just bought tickets to get in the door. The ECFs did not sell out as fast but that had more to do with cost than FAN support. I had to think twice before I bought Rnd 3 and Rnd 4 and I am long time STH. I know STHs that bought a big screen Plasma instead of tickets. I do think they were priced OK. But could have been 5%-10% cheaper and informed the STH before hand and they would have sold quicker. No matter, the SCFs sold out quick so we we don't have to lister to opposing fans using that against us like Sabres fans did.

WOOOOOOO!!!

got game 2 tickets!

The first time I saw it was with our series with Montreal. The Canes got it right after their games in Montreal

I feel bad for Roloson and Roloson only. He wouldn't be hurt if Bergeron didn't CROSS CHECK Ladd into Rolo (not called). The only bad thing here is that it overshadowed the incredible comeback for us. Think about this:

Goal 1: Brindy's put back - just like their 1st goal

Goal 2: Whitney from the left - great goal - we finally started shooting without hesitation

Goal 3: Whitney put back - Rolo didn't control his loose change AGAIN

Goal 4: Williams breakaway short handed - EDM defensive error - Breakaway goal is just like their 3rd goal

Goal 5: EDM defense let Brindy back there - huge blunder

All of the focus will be on goaltending, but that isn't what let us back into the game.

Is it me or does Ned Barnett state the obvious to an annoying degree. His column is titled "Injury puts Oilers in deep hole". No duh!

All the sports columnists at the N&O suck. Barnett doesn't even know hockey. Tudor is a complete clown. After this Cup run they need to add another bonafide hockey writer other than DeCock who is less than impressive as well.

All the sports columnists at the N&O suck. Barnett doesn't even know hockey. Tudor is a complete clown. After this Cup run they need to add another bonafide hockey writer other than DeCock who is less than impressive as well.

Now, I know this is a little "pot/kettle", but I got stuck out at SRI buying shoes one day and we were paying right at 3pm when the Canes started Game 4 against New Jersey. 3pm is also the time that Tudor WALKED IN to SRI to buy shoes. He doesn't even watch games this important in his spare time...and he's a professional!

Archived