Carolina Hurricanes

• Replies 487
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Canes picked up Mark Recchi from Pittsburgh for Nordgren, a pick in 07, and a scrub. Nice move. It was either Recchi or McCabe and they made the best choice with Recchi.

This was a nice move. I was telling someone today I wish Canes could get Recchi and then it happened. Rutherford is looking like the golden child on his decisions. I read an article today about GMs and how Rutherford decisions are right on target in the new NHL. The Triangle gets so much good press on the Canes now, but not sure how many people who live here realize.

I wish Meeker would go to games but I have heard he is not much for hockey (or maybe any sport). Come playoff time, he will surface.

• 1 month later...

According to WRAL, the Hurricanes are poised to turn a profit in the first year back from the lockout - a testament to the team and to the City of Raleigh for providing so much support. I hope this isn't too big of a blow to all those Charlotteans who thought the Hurricane's would pack up and move down I85 - sorry guys! :stop:

Here are a few quotes:

Game attendance was up 2.4 percent from the 2003-2004 hockey season. On average, nearly 17,000 fans came out for every NHL game. As for the

The new league restructure helps. Like football, there is some revenue sharing which helps push the Canes toward the B/E point. Now they need to go deep in playoffs, increase TV audience, get the Charlotte Observer/media to cover the games more than AP reports, other media outlets to cover (Greensboro is OK for coverage), and get so non-hockey people are comfortable with hockey. The N&O did a good insert for the "Hockey-Impaired"

Next year, since they will time to get things situated before the season starts (could not this year because of the lock-out), they need to get statewide radio coverage, a 30 minute weekly coaches show, a pre-game show before every televised game, play exhibition games in Charlotte,, Greenville, SC and maybe Columbia/Charleston, make radio/TV stars out of some of the players (then they can get local ad deals---"This is Big Joe Vasicek for Sir Walter Raleigh Chevrolet". ) They need to insure that Sports bars know the game is on TV and do promotions that bring people to bars to watch the games across the state.

They should get the Governor to games, get Charles Meeker to the games (this is one of my biggest problems with Meeker as I have talked to his political advisor about this), and get a person in the org that is a "Canes Face" to the area and can drive state/local businesses to games and sponsors (Jim Cain did this) and the main thing......................get more corporate sponsors and corporate season ticket holders.

There is no reason why "Lowe's" is not a sponsor with the Hurricanes and why they don't have a phone service (Cingular) and an airline sponsor. (Jet Blue---are you listening?)

They have done pretty well this year with a limited amount of advertising. With increased revenue they will most likely increase this for next season. I think if the area is able to nab Fidelity and some of the other large corporations they are actively recruiting this will help. I'm sure Credit Suisse will help out as well. The more yankees the better for the Canes.

I was at game 1 and was really surprised that @ 500-1000 seats were empty.

By official numbers only 75 were empty. I did not see 500-1000 seats empty and I am a attendence hound. Some could be people could not go for some reason or people had tickets but were in a box drinking free beer. Or in the bathroom.

Again, I did not see 500-1000 seats in game 1

By official numbers only 75 were empty. I did not see 500-1000 seats empty and I am a attendence hound. Some could be people could not go for some reason or people had tickets but were in a box drinking free beer. Or in the bathroom.

Again, I did not see 500-1000 seats in game 1

I saw at least that many empty seats. Me and 3 other people were the only one's in my row. There were @ 20 empty seats in my section the entire game. I even had an extra ticket which I could not even give away. where were all the usual scalpers? I didn't even see a single scalper which is very odd for a major event like this.

One more thing... I was told by an employee of RBC center that E-bay had sold many no good tickets. That may have been another reason. He said there were some really mad people there at the gates.

According to WRAL, the Hurricanes are poised to turn a profit in the first year back from the lockout - a testament to the team and to the City of Raleigh for providing so much support. I hope this isn't too big of a blow to all those Charlotteans who thought the Hurricane's would pack up and move down I85 - sorry guys! :stop:

That's ok --- just gives us another good reason to come visit Raleigh :D

I saw at least that many empty seats. Me and 3 other people were the only one's in my row. There were @ 20 empty seats in my section the entire game. I even had an extra ticket which I could not even give away. where were all the usual scalpers? I didn't even see a single scalper which is very odd for a major event like this.

One more thing... I was told by an employee of RBC center that E-bay had sold many no good tickets. That may have been another reason. He said there were some really mad people there at the gates.

Just wondering? What section? Around me, there might have been a empty seat but I honestly don't remember any. Game 2 had a few. I looked and did not see any big gaps.

All the scalpers usually are at the gap in the fence behind the left side of CF scoreboard. At Game 2, there was a guy looking to buy tickets and I don't think he was a hockey fan. He was in the west lot among the tailgaters.

Especially for the playoffs, many more people watch on TV and would not even think of going, especially new fans who may not have followed team real close.

I checked the Montreal website and you could still buy tickets to Game 3 in Montreal up until Saturday night which then sold out once they won game 1. Does not get much bigger hockey country than Quebec. As of 2 days ago, you could still buy tickets in Tampa Bay, Nashville, and others. I think usually if a team wins the first game or 2, tickets sell out for sure around game 3 in the small or tuff markets, even some big ones. I remember in 02 when the canes made the run, the first round with NJ had open seats and when we start to win, the place filled up and the scalpers came in because of demand.

• 2 weeks later...

I went to the game and WOW. I am 37, grew up getting hoarse yelling for DT and then Kenny Carr, have been to umpteen college basketball and football games at NCSU and UNC, and many many hockey games. That was absolutely the most amazing thing I have ever seen live.

To this point, I think that game 5 vs. NJD in 2002 was my favorite game I ever witnessed (the infamous Kevin Weekes save and Vasicek scoring the winner) until last night. (the miracle in Molson still counts as a more amazing, better win overall)

I went to the Stanley Cup Game 3, have seen UNC win the regional finals and ACC tourneys in person, saw NCSU win the ACC in '83, saw UNC beat Miami and FSU, saw NCSU beat UNC in '83 - all incredible games, but this one beats them all.

Here are some interesting things from the night:

* Slide show on the ice from t-minus 7 min was very cool. I was kind of low so I couldn't see some of the images as well as that awesome photo from above. The only thing is that the timing was a little off because we were oohing and aahing and all of a sudden "Welcome your Carolina Hurricaaaanes".

* The crowd was simply listless really until the second period when we overtook them considerably in shots on goal.

* I made three posters, but didn't get to use my first one for long enough. They said,

"Chef Wardo's Special: Deviled Eggs" (scoreboard with "0")

"NJ is for LOU - sers" (cutting on their coach)

"Nobody moves TO New Jersey"

I only wish I had done one I thought of this morning:

"What happens in Jersey, stays in Jersey. Kapish?" - if anyone reads this, feel free to use it. I don't have low seats again.

* I COULD NOT believe that NJ scored that goal with :20 seconds left. We had DOMINATED them for 2 whole periods at that point. I felt pretty confident up to that point, and felt a little sick. But said,"C'mon! Time is not a factor! (nod to Al Maquire)"

* I had an aisle seat right above where the tunnel where NJD went on and off and found myself jumping up and down on a stairway. Very dangerous and I didn't kill myself!

* I didn't have my sound meter with me. When the Canes took the ice against Detroit in game 3 in 2002, it was 115 dBs - that was with the sound system pumping. I think the Staal goal easily hit that point. I think it was more like 120. (The loudest I've ever measured was 121dBs in Reynolds when UNC had to take a timeout in ?1994?).

* I went to the stairways to get a cell signal and told all of those re-entering "shame!! shame!!!!"

* Our corner was the last to respond to the Wallin goal because we didn't have a good angle on it.

* The GOAL, GOAL, GOAL chant was really cool. I think I remember doing that in Greensboro at one game?

* OK you made it to this point. Please help me with this. I wrote the Centennial Authority, Fox, Robinson, and Wendell Murphy in 1998 asking them to honor Valvano in this arena by putting up signage at each entrance saying "Don't Give Up. Don't Ever Give Up". Nobody responded, but these signs which could be effective on so many levels, would still be great. Maybe the introduction of Sidney Lowe and others who also aren't ashamed of singing Valvano's praises can get it done. (Anyone have the feeling that Herb was ashamed of V?)

I think Herb was just apathetic to the basketball tradition of the university. After reading some of the things former players have been saying about not feeling "welcome" at some events - it makes me thrilled we'll have one of our own steering the ship. The Jimmy V idea is a great one - I wonder if it would be easier to get them to put it on Reynolds than the RBC - even though the RBC was something he wanted to happen even back in the early 80s, right?

Hmmm, interesting idea for JimmyV, but I got to talk about the Canes!!!

That was incredible! How many teams come back from 2-1 with 20.7 seconds!? Unbelievable! i was like :yahoo: and I just watched it on TV, but man it's so exciting. The last period I was on the edge of my seat and jumping up each time a shot went towards Brodeur. Wow!

I was at the game and was fully dejected when NJ scored. I was ready to leave (I never leave early) but when the Canes scored, I could not believe it. Being very low and very high... all in 20 seconds.

Could be Buffalo if the Canes make it to the next round. That will be a "run and gun." I am not counting out Ottawa though. Anaheim is looking good in the west and so is San Jose. OK, getting ahead of myself.

Wednesday night will be key.

Archived