CONSTRUCTION THREAD: Verdae

g-man430

Connected?  Are you not listening to anything I have said on here?  Rick Sumeral does not care about connectivity.  That plot of land is going to be sold to Ryan Homes and will probably be a typical cookie cutter subdivision with one road in and out with lots of cul de sacs and ugly houses.  You can see from the outline that it will probably have one main road in and out of the "subdivision" from Rocky Slope.  Part of this area was supposed to be a mirror image of the manor section in the original plans.  Of course those plans have long since gone out the window in favor of expediency and making a quick buck.  The supposed 20-30 year development of this property was a big lie.  Unethical, unethical, unethical.

Well, considering that none of us, besides you, have "seen" how it will be connected, I don't think we can pass judgement on this. Based on the property boundaries, there seems to be possibilities of connections at Algonquin Tr, Rocky Slope, and at Legacy Park Rd/Hollingsworth Dr. The rest of us will have to wait and see what they're proposing. 

Connected?  Are you not listening to anything I have said on here?  Rick Sumeral does not care about connectivity.  That plot of land is going to be sold to Ryan Homes and will probably be a typical cookie cutter subdivision with one road in and out with lots of cul de sacs and ugly houses.  You can see from the outline that it will probably have one main road in and out of the "subdivision" from Rocky Slope.  Part of this area was supposed to be a mirror image of the manor section in the original plans.  Of course those plans have long since gone out the window in favor of expediency and making a quick buck.  The supposed 20-30 year development of this property was a big lie.  Unethical, unethical, unethical.

Please tell me you are pulling a late April Fool's joke!  Ryan Homes?!?!?!?!?   :sick:  :sick:  :sick:    There goes any chance that Verdae will be a quality, urban development.

Have you obtained legal counsel? If the accusations you are making are valid, you could very possibly have a legitimate case. 

Looked into legal counsel years ago when Rick Sumeral/Verdae first started changing things.  The first change was the "Homes from the $200s" on Shadwell.  He promised that the watering down of the architectural guidelines would be limited to Shadwell.  I knew he was lying and of course they changed the standards and the changes have migrated into Ruskin Square.  It's been one long continuous slippery slope ever since.  I don't believe a word he says.  It's frustrating trying to deal with someone who has no moral or ethical standards.  He is a very paternalistic man who thinks he is always right.  Legal counsel would be very expensive.  In the beginning there were only a handful of owners and we felt the cost would be prohibitive.  We tried meeting with the board of Verdae and Hollingsworth Funds, but they back Rick completely.  We tried appealing to Knox White and city council members, but they can't do much, or at least they claim not to be able to do anything.  We appealed to the zoning and planning boards but they can't do anything either.  We have been trying to get some exposure with our website, http://www.hollingsworthpark.com.  I've personally spoken with Tom Low of DPZ-Charlotte and Brad Wyche with Upstate Forever.  We get sympathy but not much action.  I reached out to the former "The Town Paper," a publication highlighting TND neighborhoods throughout the country.  They are now "Better! Cities & Towns."  They wrote an article highlighting our plight.  Unfortunately, there are too many rah rah sheep who are not sweating the details of this development and giving blind accolades to Verdae, unlike those of us who have invested a lot of money into a promise that has been broken.

Looked into legal counsel years ago when Rick Sumeral/Verdae first started changing things.  Legal counsel would be very expensive.  In the beginning there were only a handful of owners and we felt the cost would be prohibitive. 

Beforehand your problems were relatively petty. As you said watered down TND design efforts. However these designs did not detract from the overall development in a substantial way. If what you say is true though about the Ryan Homes, I believe you would be able to gather enough support from fellow neighbors and hire legal counsel. And in someway impede on the development of Rocky Slope by Ryan Homes. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I actually found the notes form the planning commission- I think it was from May of this year. The name of the subdivision is Braydon, and it is being built on Rocky Slope Rd. I didn't find any details of the builder or types of homes, however. I would love to get info if anyone knows!

I know they had to go through 2 revisions before it was accepted, so even the initial builder might have changed.

• 4 months later...