West End Summit update

william

• Replies 988
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They are defininitely trying to compete. They wanted the ballroom and meeting space to be larger to offer up some competition.

So be it. Loews Vanderbilt Plaza is an inferior building in nearly every respect. It has the ambience of a giant-sized personal humidifier. At least the West End Summit has a ground floor designed for humans.

I used to work at the Loews. Right before I started is when W Hotels announced a new hotel in Nashville on Music Row. The Loews hotel immediately went on a renovation spree to try and "jazz" itself up. They went from being a stodgy and expected boring place to a somewhat hip place but the remodel was just a bit half-baked. If anything The Intercontinental will force Loews to actually completely renovate. That's a win/win for everyone.

This is good to hear. For that matter Tony G. has said that he is looking for a very high end hotel for the Signature. I wonder if he is looking to put a Ritz or another 5 star downtown. He expects that deal to ink this summer. This will certainly change the face and level of hotel service in Nashville. It may also hurt the Hermitage as well.

I think the Hermitage will be just fine. Some people like a High-end hotel with a 40th floor view, but for many people, nothing compares to a very old, historic building with a VERY GRAND entryway. I dont think any of these projects will offer the "royal-arrival" the way that the Hermitage does.

I am inclined to agree with Nashvillwill here. I think the Hermitage has pretty much inked itself in as the historic/grand hotel of Nashville. It has been so for sometime now anyway. What's left to complete the downtown market is a modern luxury hotel along the lines of a Four Seasons. I think that the Intercontinental will service its own set of guests and that anything new downtown will have yet another market - maybe some overlap will be an issue but I think it will be minor.

I used to work at the Loews. Right before I started is when W Hotels announced a new hotel in Nashville on Music Row. The Loews hotel immediately went on a renovation spree to try and "jazz" itself up. They went from being a stodgy and expected boring place to a somewhat hip place but the remodel was just a bit half-baked. If anything The Intercontinental will force Loews to actually completely renovate. That's a win/win for everyone.

Turning the Loews into a building worth its weight in concrete slab would require the kind of renovation that involves dynamite more than anything else. The ground floor, particularly on the side which faces the noble and delicious Sitar Restaurant, is hostile and disengaged. It would have to be totally reworked and punctured all to blazes.

I hope the West End Summit puts it out of business and we have to demolish the "urinal" (Yes! ATLBrain, yes!) and replace it with a seven-story, mixed-use building that addresses its environment and is worthy of affection and respect.

I am not huge on high-rises, but I'll take the shimmering glass and articulate ground floor of the WES years before I'll take the Planet of the Apes Lego-Ashtray of Loews Vanderbilt "Plaza."

It's not a plaza.

Nashville currently has no 5-star hotels (rated by Mobile). The Hermitage is a 5-Diamond hotel (rated by AAA). Essentially they are the same thing but I do believe that the Mobile rating is a bit more difficult to achieve.

At the suggestion of "It's Just Dave," I have ventured to this site to check it out. I don't know if any of you know, but I wrote about real estate at The Tennessean for six years. I'm now with NashvillePost.com. With respect to West End Summit, there are still a lot of questions to be answered and there should be some skepticism with it. The hotel is one step. There are still loans that have to be obtained, though it might be easier with InterContinental having a 20-year deal, which is very unusual. And there is the question of whether the project can begin without and office anchor for the other tower and presales of condos in the hotel tower. Food for thought.

At the suggestion of "It's Just Dave," I have ventured to this site to check it out. I don't know if any of you know, but I wrote about real estate at The Tennessean for six years. I'm now with NashvillePost.com. With respect to West End Summit, there are still a lot of questions to be answered and there should be some skepticism with it. The hotel is one step. There are still loans that have to be obtained, though it might be easier with InterContinental having a 20-year deal, which is very unusual. And there is the question of whether the project can begin without and office anchor for the other tower and presales of condos in the hotel tower. Food for thought.

Welcome to the site Richard! Your a very respectable journalist. I always looked for your articles in the business portion of the Tennessean for years, "Growth & Development" section. I'm looking forward to your input about the developments the city is undertaking at its present time. :)

Welcome to the forum Richard. I have been reading your replies on the other board you are on, and check out the Post as I can. I cant afford too many paid subscriptions otherwise that would be one I would have. Your input and knowledge of Nashville will be greatly appreciated and looking forward to your insight.

Thanks... I appreciate the kind remarks. For those who can't afford the subscription, most of our archives are free after a month. But if the topic is something I discuss on News 2 (our partner), we will be running those free for a few hours. I'm usually on at 6:45 am on Mondays. Also, if you guys see something on the site that you want to read fully, make a request for me to post it in full here. I think I can do that unless admin tells me otherwise. Here's one I wrote about the convention center announcement back in February. http://www.nashvillepost.com/news/2006/2/1...lls_wet_blanket

Thanks for the info Richard. It does not surprise me that Mayor Purcell does not want to be diligent and get the ball rolling. It reminds me of what went on in my home town of Kingsport. The city council would study something to death and would always be afraid to take action on what ever the subject was. Then by the time those familiar with the subject, 4 years have past and are out of office. Many politicians put their political career in front of what is right for the City, State or Federal Gov. Purcell is no different. At least Phil Bredesen got things done.

Wow! Sometimes it's hard to believe all the new members we are getting. Welcome both Richard and Mike to the forum. Richard, we are always appreciative of people "in touch" with the real estate market on this forum. You bring important new insight to us all.

Do you know if ASP has obtained a sky plane exposure variance? His buildings are shown as being built up to the street, but in the CF district, you are only allowed 65' tall from the street, then a building must step back 1' for every 1.5 vertical feet you go up. Also, does he need an FAR Variance? It looks like a lot of development for a somewhat small site.

Do you know if ASP has obtained a sky plane exposure variance? His buildings are shown as being built up to the street, but in the CF district, you are only allowed 65' tall from the street, then a building must step back 1' for every 1.5 vertical feet you go up. Also, does he need an FAR Variance? It looks like a lot of development for a somewhat small site.

I'm fairly certain there has been no hearing on a sky plane variance for this project. As to the FAR you make a good observation but I think he has enough land to do about 800k sf of gross sf (which doesn't include related garage space). Not sure what he's proposing but it's my understanding that BZA cannot grant an FAR variance. He'd have to have council approval for that.

Archived