North Hills East

dmccall

• Replies 484
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I'll have to get some photos during lunch this week, but things are rolling along at the project.

The new road opened yesterday. I'm not sure what the name is, though. It could be an extension of St. Albans, Camelot or Dartmouth... or could be a new name altogether. I didn't see a sign.

A lot of the utility work has begun on the rest of the development. They were starting to put in sewer and drainage pipes last week.

Also, renovations of the building at 333 St. Albans are well underway. The 2nd story that was above the covered parking has been knocked down and the rest of the building is being walled off. As far as I know, an expansion should be going up where the covered parking used to be.

^^^

Now here is an interesting situation....Kane wants the city to pay for parking decks, yet he is going to demolish the one thats on the site already??? He could easily keep just the parking deck part of the old building and his problem is solved.

• 4 weeks later...

Kane is going to build the 1st 2 story grocery store in the triangle. I think this is exciting. From the triangle business journal today

RALEIGH - Harris Teeter has signed on as the retail centerpiece of John Kane's North Hills East development, with plans for its first two-story grocery store in the Triangle.

Representatives of the Matthews-based grocery chain confirm the company will open a second store in the North Hills area of north Raleigh that will be part of Kane Realty Corp.'s $800 million mixed-use development at the northeast corner of Six Forks Road and Interstate 440.

The 45-acre property is across Six Forks Road from Kane's $250 million North Hills project that opened in 2004.

It's also across from an existing Harris Teeter store at Kane's Lassiter at North Hills shopping center. A Harris Teeter spokeswoman says there are no plans for now to close the Lassiter store, which has less than 21,000 square feet of floor space, about half the size of a typical grocery store.

I think the area could easily support a grocery store on either side of Six Forks once NHE is built. Though having both as HTs would be unusual. One number I heard floating around was about 1500 residential units for NHE! Plus the condos and apartments over by the old HT.

I'm thinking that the existing HT is a bit overwhelmed now due to it's size and will be extinct with a newer, larger store opening up a 1/2 mile away. I think that location would be a good choice for a Fresh Market or Whole Foods-type of specialty store that doesn't need the large space of a full-service grocery. The demographics in this area are off the charts, and I would think something like that would be a hit.

I'm thinking that the existing HT is a bit overwhelmed now due to it's size and will be extinct with a newer, larger store opening up a 1/2 mile away. I think that location would be a good choice for a Fresh Market or Whole Foods-type of specialty store that doesn't need the large space of a full-service grocery. The demographics in this area are off the charts, and I would think something like that would be a hit.

If I was Trader Joe's, I'd put the store in Holly Park on ice while I explored whether the H-T space at North Hills might come available....MUCH better demographics than Holly Park, although I guess Trader Joe's is after a broader clientele than Fresh Market or Whole Foods, either of whom I think would jump at the chance to put a second Raleigh location into that space... of course, H-T doesn't want the competition, and will hold onto the smaller space even when the new one opens until the day the lease expires...hopefully, North Hills put a "no vacancy" clause into the lease, because supermarkets have been known to hold onto vacant store space for years in order to deny the space to a competitor... That might be what is going on at Atlantic Avenue and Millbrook...

• 1 month later...

Big update here, courtesy of Dana... thanks Dana!

We have some details on the new tower 1 on Six Forks and the rest of the NH east expansion. Also here is a link to Kane's marketing video for the Lassiter condos on the west side of NH... a couple of minutes through you can see a few seconds of video renderings of NHE also.

According to Dana: The tower is the centerpiece of the new eastside development of the 100-acre North Hills complex. North Hills East plans include a high-density retirement community, residential tower, retail, and a full-size, two-story Harris Teeter supermarket.

The tower will be complete in 2009. Looks pretty awesome!

rendering1.jpg

rendering2.jpg

rendering3.jpg

OPT1D_Cropped_NHETract%20C%20office%2009-21-07_.jpg

Big update here, courtesy of Dana... thanks Dana!

We have some details on the new tower 1 on Six Forks and the rest of the NH east expansion. Also here is a link to Kane's marketing video for the Lassiter condos on the west side of NH... a couple of minutes through you can see a few seconds of video renderings of NHE also.

According to Dana: The tower is the centerpiece of the new eastside development of the 100-acre North Hills complex. North Hills East plans include a high-density retirement community, residential tower, retail, and a full-size, two-story Harris Teeter supermarket.

The tower will be complete in 2009.

That looks pretty nice. The office tower is very good looking. I wouldn't exactly give the rest of the complex a prize for beautiful architecture, but it does remind me a lot of Virginia Beach's town center, or Atlanta's Atlantic Station, which are probably the two best such developments in the southeast.

I've been looking at the previously released site plan and puzzling over what angle each picture was taken from and have reached the conclusion that the site plan has changed, at least somewhat.

Is it just me, or do the stairs in the bottom right corner of the 3rd rendering look like stairs that would lead to a pedestrian bridge over Six Forks? If so, the stairs have changed position from where they were in the previous site plan.

Here's my annotated version of the site plan:

NorthHillsEastmaster_annotated.jpg

The locations I think the images were taken from are numbered in the order they were posted by ChiefJoJo.

The pink building area in front of image "1" appears to now be that plaza with the water feature.

The apparent new location of the pedestrian bridge is in red.

Archived