North Hills East

dmccall

• Replies 484
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Does anyone know what the next tallest building in NHE will be...how tall? Just wondering what impact this guy will ahve at 17 stories and will it stick up like that tower on 15-501 or look like it has some company near it. I have plenty of confidence in Kane but was just curious. Also does anyone see evidence of the threatened stripped out typical shopping center w/o a city deck to support the project?

Does anyone know what the next tallest building in NHE will be...how tall? Just wondering what impact this guy will ahve at 17 stories and will it stick up like that tower on 15-501 or look like it has some company near it. I have plenty of confidence in Kane but was just curious. Also does anyone see evidence of the threatened stripped out typical shopping center w/o a city deck to support the project?

I don't see that this tower is any less "boxy" than the downtown high-rises. It looks like a cluster of boxes, similar to the Progress Energy building downtown. The main difference is that it has a more irregular footprint, with a curved section. That is possible because it is in a shopping center, with space on all sides. In downtown, one must build on a rectangular lot surrounded by other buildings. That is the difference between a suburban and urban site. I believe that the BB&T building and Wachovia building downtown have a more attractive appearance from a distance than this tower will. They are taller, slimmer, less clunky.

I don't see that this tower is any less "boxy" than the downtown high-rises. It looks like a cluster of boxes, similar to the Progress Energy building downtown. The main difference is that it has a more irregular footprint, with a curved section. That is possible because it is in a shopping center, with space on all sides. In downtown, one must build on a rectangular lot surrounded by other buildings. That is the difference between a suburban and urban site. I believe that the BB&T building and Wachovia building downtown have a more attractive appearance from a distance than this tower will. They are taller, slimmer, less clunky.

This will look nice from *inside* the complex and boxy from the outside. The developers could spend more on the physical building because low rent office buildings, budget hotels, Bennigans, and rundown apartment complexes cost a lot less to acquire than land downtown. And despite Kane's insistance, the area wasn't blighted. This made it easy to attract high dollar leases before construction started.

As for why there isn't anything "creative" downtown, if rounded walls are creative, then the Clarion is creative? The corner at 510 Glenwood and the Dawson at Morgan? Other than PE 2 (is it plus Palladium Plaza "creative"?), *nothing* has been built over 10 stories downtown since 1989. A lot of the engineering, materials, etc. that allows for the modern "creative" buildings was in its infancy then. The State Capitol builiding isn't "creative" either, but its worst side is a lot better than this building will have.

Some of that is being applied to the new Convention Center. It would have been nice if the Marriott across Salisbury followed suit, but now we have a hotel with an exterior that hopefully won't suffer the same fate as the Monte Cristo in Las Vegas last week.

The main difference is that it has a more irregular footprint, with a curved section. That is possible because it is in a shopping center, with space on all sides. In downtown, one must build on a rectangular lot surrounded by other buildings. That is the difference between a suburban and urban site.

I don't see why everyone thinks this North Hills building is so wonderful. I think it's a nice design, but it seems pretty conservative to me reminiscent of (though somewhat taller than) dozens of of federal office buildings that you'll find in the DC suburbs. I don't see anything revolutionary here.

I don't see why everyone thinks this North Hills building is so wonderful. I think it's a nice design, but it seems pretty conservative to me reminiscent of (though somewhat taller than) dozens of of federal office buildings that you'll find in the DC suburbs. I don't see anything revolutionary here.

Here's the foundation permit for CapTrust tower. The final building permit is under review, so you can follow it there--no building shell/cranes until the permit is granted.

• 573,000 sq ft

• 750 structured parking spaces

• 16 stories

My initial reaction to the project update is to it's concept. I grew up near this area, and it's just mindboggling to me that on a site that once contained some rundown, low rent apartments, will soon be home to millions of square feet of residences, offices and shops. As far as design is concerned, the tower isn't particularly striking to me, but I like that the plan is to expand the mixed-use density across Six Forks, creating a new mid-high density node in "midtown" Raleigh. It's certainly a much better use for the land, so TIFs aside, it's great project. Maybe one day a rapid transit connection...

• 1 month later...

^^ I agree that it would've been great to have another big corporate tenant for downtown, but this was apparently what Captrust needed in terms of square feet and location.

Personally, I like the track North Hills is on. I think it can be nothing but beneficial to the region as a whole to have multiple centers of density and mixes of uses. Who knows? Maybe it will generate a demand for some non-automobile transit sooner than later linking downtown and midtown.

The Midtown argument for North Hills makes sense to me (more so than Crabtree), and I think that this building being as tall as it is will be a good thing for that area. When one thinks that just a few short years ago this area was a non-descript, low-rise sprawl, it's heartening and exciting to see how quickly a more urban transformation can occur.

Plus, it's going to be a really good looking building.

I really enjoy the North Hills area. We had a team dinner at Bonefish last night, place was crawling with folks. Sad to here abouth JKs, was planning a function there this summer, excellent food and service. With all that's going on and around North Hills, I can see why Ruth Chris is licking at the chops (no pun intended) to get in there.

I wish the Soleil Center was being developed in the North Hills area, Six Fords compared to Glenwood/Crabtree is much more manageable.

Archived