The Dickson (Formerly the Lofts at Underwood Plaza)

Mith242

The condos at the north end of Locust St are going for about 270/sq ft. They are tri-level with a 1 car garage, 2 bed, 2 bath.

There are 3 Icehouse condos for 275/sq ft and another not finshed out (no sheetrock) for 150/sq ft.

There are several others on or near Dickson between 200 and 300/sq ft.

And I'm pretty sure Barber still owns the Divinity land.

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think somebody might have some success with a stick-built 4-story condo building somewhere downtown. That would get prices into a more reasonable range, although those wouldn't afford any sweeping views of Fayetteville. Show me a Dickson area condo project with units starting in the 130s-150s and I bet you'd sell it out in no time. I'd like to see some of Dickson's "backstreets built up in solid blocks. Heck, even something like what Lindsey did at Southern View would work, and allow some more unique shops and offices to go into the area.

Who owns the land that was slated for Divinity?

I'm sure you could sell them. That would be the easy part, but you would be quite challenged to build anything on Dickson street land and hit the $130-$150/sqft price point. It would be exactly like you mention, a Lindsey type product. And Lindsey may be the only person/builder that could pull it off.

On a side note, the main problem with stick construction is noise transmission. It can be defeated, but it takes a strong investment.

I think somebody might have some success with a stick-built 4-story condo building somewhere downtown. That would get prices into a more reasonable range, although those wouldn't afford any sweeping views of Fayetteville. Show me a Dickson area condo project with units starting in the 130s-150s and I bet you'd sell it out in no time. I'd like to see some of Dickson's "backstreets built up in solid blocks. Heck, even something like what Lindsey did at Southern View would work, and allow some more unique shops and offices to go into the area.

Who owns the land that was slated for Divinity?

That and a 4 story building is less likely to draw the ire from people who don't want any 'big' buildings here in Fayetteville. I really don't know who owns that land now. I'm assuming that eventually if it hasn't already end up in some bank's hand and will eventually be sold or auctioned off.

• 5 weeks later...

So I was jogging down Dickson yesterday and decided that I would go around this new building. The courtyard area is nice. It is small but very nice. There is a walkway that goes between the two buildings and also one that goes through the Lofts and exits near the parking deck entrance. I like the design a lot.

• 5 months later...

Has anyone heard an update on the sales of the condos? The website for the construction is out of date. It only shows 6 units as sold. Is the building completely finished yet?

I haven't heard any news lately either. As far as I know everything is completed on the interior. I imagine the current market doesn't help matters for them.

• 1 year later...

Some more info about the Lofts condos on Dickson:

http://www.nwaonline.com/news/2010/oct/12/foreclosure-looms-lofts-underwood-plaza/

I've never actually been inside that building...anyone know if the commercial space filled up? Does the parking deck ever come close to being at capacity?

Hope you don't mind that I moved your post over here. Thought it fit better here. But as far as commercial space goes, I'm pretty sure there's still plenty of space available. Probably another factor that hasn't helped. It's too bad it didn't open on time. They might have still run into trouble eventually. But having it pushed back really hurt. I do have to agree though. I also think this is a very good project for Fayetteville. It just might take some time before all of it's potential is realized.

Some more info about the Lofts condos on Dickson:

http://www.nwaonline.com/news/2010/oct/12/foreclosure-looms-lofts-underwood-plaza/

I've never actually been inside that building...anyone know if the commercial space filled up? Does the parking deck ever come close to being at capacity?

I know that Orange Mango is in the bottom floor of the building and I thought they'd announced a tenant for the other streetside storefront at one point, but I haven't been to Fayetteville in a couple months now so I don't know if that ever materialized or not. I believe the commercial space on the other floors was still empty when I left. I've never seen the deck anywhere close to full, but I imagine it will have much more activity this time of year than it had this past summer/spring.

I hadn't realized that Nock bailed on it a while ago, but I certainly understand why he did. I wish the Alexander's and the Underwood's luck with this- it's a good project and I do think that it (and even the Legacy Building) will be good projects for Fayetteville overall in the long run, but the timing certainly wasn't ideal for the Lofts.

I know that Orange Mango is in the bottom floor of the building and I thought they'd announced a tenant for the other streetside storefront at one point, but I haven't been to Fayetteville in a couple months now so I don't know if that ever materialized or not. I believe the commercial space on the other floors was still empty when I left. I've never seen the deck anywhere close to full, but I imagine it will have much more activity this time of year than it had this past summer/spring.

I hadn't realized that Nock bailed on it a while ago, but I certainly understand why he did. I wish the Alexander's and the Underwood's luck with this- it's a good project and I do think that it (and even the Legacy Building) will be good projects for Fayetteville overall in the long run, but the timing certainly wasn't ideal for the Lofts.

Orange Mango is actually Moonberries now- something about avoiding legal problems because other businesses had similar names. As funny as it sounds- I heard a Waffle House was moving into the other space. I don't know how much stock I put in that happening though. And as far as I know nothing else in the commercial part although the realtors use it at times and there are occasional business meetings of some type.

I think what Nock said about it being around long after all this current financial trouble is over is right on. It is a landmark building and will be successful over the long term.

Orange Mango is actually Moonberries now- something about avoiding legal problems because other businesses had similar names. As funny as it sounds- I heard a Waffle House was moving into the other space. I don't know how much stock I put in that happening though. And as far as I know nothing else in the commercial part although the realtors use it at times and there are occasional business meetings of some type.

I think what Nock said about it being around long after all this current financial trouble is over is right on. It is a landmark building and will be successful over the long term.

I don't like that name at all. But, I did wonder about that original name with Orange Leaf, which is the exact same idea, being in Little Rock and Tulsa.

Waffle House has signed their lease. It is a done deal.

Waffle House has signed their lease. It is a done deal.

Sounds good, I think that'll be a great location for that sort of restaurant. Lots of appeal to the late-night/early morning, post-drinking, I've-got-the-munchies crowd.

And people can walk there instead of driving over to 6th or Wedington.

Sounds good, I think that'll be a great location for that sort of restaurant. Lots of appeal to the late-night/early morning, post-drinking, I've-got-the-munchies crowd.

And people can walk there instead of driving over to 6th or Wedington.

That's actually really good for Dickson. Although I don't particularly love Waffle House, a downtown location is very cool. I've been thinking Little Rock could benefit from something like that as well (since I got here actually- there is very little breakfast food available downtown)- maybe if the one in Fayetteville does well someone down here will get adventurous and try it.

Anyone know if Waffle House will be on the Dickson St side of the development, or the section back over on Powerhouse Ave?

The Dickson St side next to Moonberries/Orange Mango. Won't all the high priced condo buyers just love having the "late night druken munchies" crowd hanging out on their doorstep.

The Dickson St side next to Moonberries/Orange Mango. Won't all the high priced condo buyers just love having the "late night druken munchies" crowd hanging out on their doorstep.

It is an interesting building for them to be located in, no argument there. I imagine it will also be frequented by the students- being able to walk to Waffle House for those living on campus is probably going to hurt the 6th street location slightly, but should provide a good influx for this location.

It is an interesting building for them to be located in, no argument there. I imagine it will also be frequented by the students- being able to walk to Waffle House for those living on campus is probably going to hurt the 6th street location slightly, but should provide a good influx for this location.

Yeah, I'd said that anyone buying a condo in that area should already know beforehand that it is busy with student and other late night visitors. It is like when someone buys a condo next to a live music venue and then complains about the music being too loud. If you don't like the atmosphere then don't buy the condo......

Yeah, I'd said that anyone buying a condo in that area should already know beforehand that it is busy with student and other late night visitors. It is like when someone buys a condo next to a live music venue and then complains about the music being too loud. If you don't like the atmosphere then don't buy the condo......

Yeah but you'd think most people would know what to expect of Dickson St. Maybe if you weren't from the area. But the development does seem nicely built. I've wondered if the units have some soundproofing built into them.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Still cant believe they are putting a awful house in that building. What a waste of space. But i guess in this economy, anything is better than nothing. Also to note, they took out the interior door inside of the building. Im guessing they will just use the exterior door. They did a pretty crappy job too. I guess this will keep the drunks out of the interior and just in that space. I wounder if the building will start smelling like waffles now?

There is still a lot of empty retail. Maybe the rent is too high for anyone to sign? And wasn't there suppose to be an Italian restaurant on powerhouse side of the building?

Still cant believe they are putting a awful house in that building. What a waste of space. But i guess in this economy, anything is better than nothing. Also to note, they took out the interior door inside of the building. Im guessing they will just use the exterior door. They did a pretty crappy job too. I guess this will keep the drunks out of the interior and just in that space. I wounder if the building will start smelling like waffles now?

There is still a lot of empty retail. Maybe the rent is too high for anyone to sign? And wasn't there suppose to be an Italian restaurant on powerhouse side of the building?

Yeah a lot of that retail space has sat vacant for a while now. So I imagine Underwood is looking for any tenants to fill some of that space.

• 5 months later...

I wonder how long before Starbucks moves in?

Starbucks is contracting more than expanding these days as far as I know.....

I tried leasing office space there at Underwood. Not competitive price-wise. Cool location. I love the new Waffle House, personally. It's nice to have a "normal" cheap breakfast place on Dickson. There are only so many times I want to go to Common Grounds and everything there is cooked in a microwave. I can do that at home!

M

Starbucks is contracting more than expanding these days as far as I know.....

I tried leasing office space there at Underwood. Not competitive price-wise. Cool location. I love the new Waffle House, personally. It's nice to have a "normal" cheap breakfast place on Dickson. There are only so many times I want to go to Common Grounds and everything there is cooked in a microwave. I can do that at home!

M

I was just thinking in terms of a chain coffee shop moving to the Dickson St area- maybe Dunkin Donuts will set up shop there. LOL

Waffle House was a great idea and it seems busy most of the time.

Archived