Mitch Mustain Changes Mind about Arkansas

mcheiss

You really need to take a closer look.

Our head coach played at OSU and he could take a crap on the fifty yard line and not get fired. It doesn't matter if you leave the state to go play college football, unless you go win the Heisman somewhere no one will remember five years after you graduate anyway.

If Mitch went to ND and got a degree he'd be able to have the same success he would have if he got a degree from the UA. Sure, that ND degree and football letter won't get you a middle management job at Wal-Mart or Tyson, but then again he won't be needing that job with a ND degree either.

That's different. If Mitch came here and sat on the bench for two years and sucked hard enough he had to transfer elsewhere to get playing time, nobody would hate him for it. That's what happened with Nutt.

As far as job, maybe and maybe not. I guy I went to high school with and was an All-American offensive lineman is now a stockbroker in Chicago doing well after going to Michigan. He was smart, though. If you're not bright you have to luck into a good job. People in Arkansas look after you even when you have no redeeming qualities, just look at David Bazzell.

Do you remember Anthony Sweeney, a QB that played for NLR High and went to Notre Dame as a WR in the early 90s? What happened to him?

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's different. If Mitch came here and sat on the bench for two years and sucked hard enough he had to transfer elsewhere to get playing time, nobody would hate him for it. That's what happened with Nutt.

As far as job, maybe and maybe not. I guy I went to high school with and was an All-American offensive lineman is now a stockbroker in Chicago doing well after going to Michigan. He was smart, though. If you're not bright you have to luck into a good job. People in Arkansas look after you even when you have no redeeming qualities, just look at David Bazzell.

Do you remember Anthony Sweeney, a QB that played for NLR High and went to Notre Dame as a WR in the early 90s? What happened to him?

I've always wonder what happens to player who just don't pan out for the NFL in other areas outside of Arkansas. I know I've seen quite a few who got picked up by some of ther local corporations. I just always wondered if that happens everywhere. But anyway from reading the article it doesn't look good. But hey if he thinks going somewhere else is what's best for his possible future career then that's what he should do. But if he goes and plays somewhere else I'm not likely to root for him. And if he goes to a rival team in the SEC I certainly won't root for him. As far as I see it, he needs to do what he needs to do and Razorback fans need to do what they need to do. And if he does go and play for a rival team in the conference that includes rooting against him and making him regret not staying here to play.

Think what you want, but as a business owner that is very active in the business community I can tell you that no one outside of mega-corporations like Wal-Mart and Tyson hire people in any way, shape, or form because you are an ex-Razorback. And then, like I said before, it's a middle management job on the road to nowhere. Sure, you may get an interview or a contact you wouldn't have gotten before, but you aren't going to be "taken care of" simply because you played football for the Hogs. People don't just hand out money to former Razorbacks if they aren't going to help their company make money. Period.

You keep pointing to isolated examples such as Bazzel, etc. and of course there are always cases like this. But to say there aren't a TON of former Hogs in this state barely making a living would be incorrect, and it would also be incorrect to say that people that play football out of state are doomed to fail when they come back to arkansas.

Think what you want, but as a business owner that is very active in the business community I can tell you that no one outside of mega-corporations like Wal-Mart and Tyson hire people in any way, shape, or form because you are an ex-Razorback. And then, like I said before, it's a middle management job on the road to nowhere. Sure, you may get an interview or a contact you wouldn't have gotten before, but you aren't going to be "taken care of" simply because you played football for the Hogs. People don't just hand out money to former Razorbacks if they aren't going to help their company make money. Period.

You keep pointing to isolated examples such as Bazzel, etc. and of course there are always cases like this. But to say there aren't a TON of former Hogs in this state barely making a living would be incorrect, and it would also be incorrect to say that people that play football out of state are doomed to fail when they come back to arkansas.

There is a big niche outside of Wal-Mart and Tyson (Stephens is also known to hire a few). I don't know how many insurance salesmen, real estate agents, and auto salesmen in AR were former Razorbacks but it's a sizable number. You are guaranteed that kind of a job because of name recognition, even moreso if you head back to your old town where you're a relative hero for going to Arkansas.

As for leaving the state and coming back, please list 3 highly recruited prospects that left and came back to Arkansas and succeeded, excepting Keith Jackson.

Again, I reference you to Eric Mitchell. I don't know if you remember his story being published in the ADG a few years ago but it was terrible.

There is a big niche outside of Wal-Mart and Tyson (Stephens is also known to hire a few). I don't know how many insurance salesmen, real estate agents, and auto salesmen in AR were former Razorbacks but it's a sizable number. You are guaranteed that kind of a job because of name recognition, even moreso if you head back to your old town where you're a relative hero for going to Arkansas.

You act like you need "former Hog" to get a job as a auto salesmen or real estate agent. ANYONE can get a job doing these things (not bashing the profession, especially real estate agents, they can make a boatload of money if they are good).

As for leaving the state and coming back, please list 3 highly recruited prospects that left and came back to Arkansas and succeeded, excepting Keith Jackson.

Again, I reference you to Eric Mitchell. I don't know if you remember his story being published in the ADG a few years ago but it was terrible.

Apparently, you equate success with being on the radio or in front of the cameras, and that's just not the case. If Mitch goes to ND, does well in school (assuming he doesnt play in the NFL), he will have no problems coming back to Arkansas and getting a job and leading a successful life. I don't know how smart of a kid he is, but if he's intelligent and has what it takes going to ND or Texas won't hurt him. There may be a segment of the population ignorant enough to not hire someone because they didn't play football for the state, but the vast majority could care less. Everyone I know has playing football for the Razorbacks in perspective: sure it's a nice thing, but it means little in the overall scheme of things.

I'm not familiar with Eric Mitchell's story. I will go out on a limb though and say that his problems in life more than likely have little to do with being shunned by Arkansan's because he played football out of state.

You act like you need "former Hog" to get a job as a auto salesmen or real estate agent. ANYONE can get a job doing these things (not bashing the profession, especially real estate agents, they can make a boatload of money if they are good).

Apparently, you equate success with being on the radio or in front of the cameras, and that's just not the case. If Mitch goes to ND, does well in school (assuming he doesnt play in the NFL), he will have no problems coming back to Arkansas and getting a job and leading a successful life. I don't know how smart of a kid he is, but if he's intelligent and has what it takes going to ND or Texas won't hurt him. There may be a segment of the population ignorant enough to not hire someone because they didn't play football for the state, but the vast majority could care less. Everyone I know has playing football for the Razorbacks in perspective: sure it's a nice thing, but it means little in the overall scheme of things.

I'm not familiar with Eric Mitchell's story. I will go out on a limb though and say that his problems in life more than likely have little to do with being shunned by Arkansan's because he played football out of state.

Of course if they're smart enough they'll find good jobs but my point is these guys find jobs that are over their heads. When guys that are barely literate are making $80-100k a year in jobs that you and I may look down on, that's a great deal for them. It's not about the kids that are intelligent and have what it takes, it's about those that don't. The vast majority of kids going to college on athletic scholies don't get degrees and even if they do it's in Kinesiology or Communications. Football can be a stepping stone to a better life for them.

A really bright kid, though, might parlay it into a fast track to upper level mgmt at Wal-Mart, Tyson, or Stephens.

Mitchell was the nation's top QB and went to OU around the same time as Jackson, sat on the bench and like most athletes didn't finish with a degree. When he went back to Pine Bluff he couldn't find a job of any kind and felt shunned and the ADG did a big story about it. Eventually he left the state. There were other similar stories around that time.

I said before I think Mitch should leave, I would if I were him. There will be repercussions, though, and that can't be ignored.

Of course if they're smart enough they'll find good jobs but my point is these guys find jobs that are over their heads. When guys that are barely literate are making $80-100k a year in jobs that you and I may look down on, that's a great deal for them. It's not about the kids that are intelligent and have what it takes, it's about those that don't. The vast majority of kids going to college on athletic scholies don't get degrees and even if they do it's in Kinesiology or Communications. Football can be a stepping stone to a better life for them.

A really bright kid, though, might parlay it into a fast track to upper level mgmt at Wal-Mart, Tyson, or Stephens.

Mitchell was the nation's top QB and went to OU around the same time as Jackson, sat on the bench and like most athletes didn't finish with a degree. When he went back to Pine Bluff he couldn't find a job of any kind and felt shunned and the ADG did a big story about it. Eventually he left the state. There were other similar stories around that time.

I said before I think Mitch should leave, I would if I were him. There will be repercussions, though, and that can't be ignored.

I remember my dad talking about Eric Mitchell a little.

Latest on Mitch is that Notre Dame probably doesn't have a scholie for him, they don't want a 3rd QB in the same class and they already have commits from 2 top 10 QBs. Lots of rumors floating around that shouldn't be mentioned but this is verifiable, so I thought I'd put it in.

North Little Rock HS's Von Stumon, the #9 LB in the nation and a true big, fast MLB committed yesterday, choosing UA over Purdue. He was the biggest recruit in the state outside of Springdale aside from Wynne's LT Walker, a DT that the UA chose not to recruit.

North Little Rock HS's Von Stumon, the #9 LB in the nation and a true big, fast MLB committed yesterday, choosing UA over Purdue. He was the biggest recruit in the state outside of Springdale aside from Wynne's LT Walker, a DT that the UA chose not to recruit.

I heard about Von Stumon verbally commiting. That's a huge asset to our Football team. I also remember hearing about another recruit from Georgia verbally commiting that was also a good player.

I hate to bring this back up again. But anyway Mitch Mustain has not only wone the Parade top player of the year but apparently the USA Today Player of the year too. It sounds like he's gotten the top three awards a high school player can get. KNWA mentioned that USA Today had a list of schools for Mustain, Arkansas, Alabama, Tenessee, and I think he also said South Carolina too. There wasn't a mention of Notre Dame or any other non conference school. Not sure where USA Today got their info. And just to add more speculation a coworker of mine who says he knows someone close to the Mustain family claims Arkansas is still open on his list but probably more as a backup option of his other choices don't work out.

^There was a segmant on the local news saying that Mustain may also be looking at LSU. I doubt he'll end up here, only because we have a great sophmore quarterback, and the #1 quarterback in the nation from last year already on the team ahead of him.

I have also heard that he was considering South Carolina, but I heard that his other 2 potentials were Notre Dame and Southern Cal.

I've heard those other two teams mentioned before but apparently USA Today didn't list those two. I keep hearing rumors that Notre Dame already has recruits lined up and isn't interested in Mustain. Although I would find it hard to believe they wouldn't be interested in someone like him.

I've heard those other two teams mentioned before but apparently USA Today didn't list those two. I keep hearing rumors that Notre Dame already has recruits lined up and isn't interested in Mustain. Although I would find it hard to believe they wouldn't be interested in someone like him.

They have 2 of the top 12 QBs in the country already committed to them. Next year's #1 QB, another Clausen, is favoring them as well. They really don't need another QB and dumping one of the QBs they already offered is immoral and Weis is a standup guy. In addition, we all know that Mustain could very well change his mind again. If one of their QBs changes his mind, you can bet Mustain will get another offer and I would bet the house that he'll be on his way to Southbend.

Mustain said he was limiting his visits and the only schools he was considering were supposedly Bama, UT, South Carolina, and us. Were he to leave and go elsewhere in the SEC, I think it could be tough on him. There's no guarantee he won't lose to Arkansas in those games and that would have to be hard on him. Tennessee's been down, though Cutcliffe is a great QB coach and he's back in the fold. Shula is not a good coach. Spurrier's great but Holtz couldn't win at SC.

His mom apparently runs his life, though, and she doesn't like Nutt any more than I do. Still, with that list I would probably still come to AR. Playing for Spurrier would be a good opportunity but he also like to platoon and bench his QBs after bad games, etc.

They have 2 of the top 12 QBs in the country already committed to them. Next year's #1 QB, another Clausen, is favoring them as well. They really don't need another QB and dumping one of the QBs they already offered is immoral and Weis is a standup guy. In addition, we all know that Mustain could very well change his mind again. If one of their QBs changes his mind, you can bet Mustain will get another offer and I would bet the house that he'll be on his way to Southbend.

Mustain said he was limiting his visits and the only schools he was considering were supposedly Bama, UT, South Carolina, and us. Were he to leave and go elsewhere in the SEC, I think it could be tough on him. There's no guarantee he won't lose to Arkansas in those games and that would have to be hard on him. Tennessee's been down, though Cutcliffe is a great QB coach and he's back in the fold. Shula is not a good coach. Spurrier's great but Holtz couldn't win at SC.

His mom apparently runs his life, though, and she doesn't like Nutt any more than I do. Still, with that list I would probably still come to AR. Playing for Spurrier would be a good opportunity but he also like to platoon and bench his QBs after bad games, etc.

Good points, Aporkalypse. By the way did you actually get to see the Razorbacks play down there in Dallas last night?

Good points, Aporkalypse. By the way did you actually get to see the Razorbacks play down there in Dallas last night?

Sure did. We probably made up more than half the crowd. Great win, even sweeter because I got to see Bobby Knight freak out on the refs all night. Seriously, ESPN should show a constant picture-in-picture of his face.

Sure did. We probably made up more than half the crowd. Great win, even sweeter because I got to see Bobby Knight freak out on the refs all night. Seriously, ESPN should show a constant picture-in-picture of his face.

When I didn't see you on last night I thought there might be a chance you were at the game. Any idea why that game was in Dallas? Was it supposed to be some 'halfway point' for both teams otr something?

When I didn't see you on last night I thought there might be a chance you were at the game. Any idea why that game was in Dallas? Was it supposed to be some 'halfway point' for both teams otr something?

These days it's hard to get teams to travel to places like Bud Walton in the nonconference schedule so neutral sites are becoming more common. This was similar to the series we arranged with OSU to play in Tulsa and Little Rock and with Illinois to play in Chicago and Little Rock, all on neutral sites but with a designated "home team". The beauty of the Texas Tech series is that we play in Dallas and Little Rock. Just like when we played OSU in Tulsa we made up the majority of the fans and they have to return the game at Alltel Arena, which is basically a home game for us.

Last night was billed as the O'Reilly Auto Parts Christmas Classic, apparently Texas Tech plays one home game a year in Dallas. Still, the Greater Dallas Razorback Club is huge and influential and there are more UA alumni in Dallas than any other city so we came out in force. We probably made up 60% of the 14,200 fans there. Had the game not been at 9 on a weeknight so that people could drive down I think we might have had 12k fans or more there.

It reminded me of the Barnhill South days. Glorious.

These days it's hard to get teams to travel to places like Bud Walton in the nonconference schedule so neutral sites are becoming more common. This was similar to the series we arranged with OSU to play in Tulsa and Little Rock and with Illinois to play in Chicago and Little Rock, all on neutral sites but with a designated "home team". The beauty of the Texas Tech series is that we play in Dallas and Little Rock. Just like when we played OSU in Tulsa we made up the majority of the fans and they have to return the game at Alltel Arena, which is basically a home game for us.

Last night was billed as the O'Reilly Auto Parts Christmas Classic, apparently Texas Tech plays one home game a year in Dallas. Still, the Greater Dallas Razorback Club is huge and influential and there are more UA alumni in Dallas than any other city so we came out in force. We probably made up 60% of the 14,200 fans there. Had the game not been at 9 on a weeknight so that people could drive down I think we might have had 12k fans or more there.

It reminded me of the Barnhill South days. Glorious.

Yeah I wonder if Texas Tech had thought of that when they scheduled it. It certainly sounds like a win-win situation for the Razorbacks. It's nice to have a game down there for all the former Arkansas residents down there to see.

Yeah I wonder if Texas Tech had thought of that when they scheduled it. It certainly sounds like a win-win situation for the Razorbacks. It's nice to have a game down there for all the former Arkansas residents down there to see.

Just as importantly, it's nice for all the potential recruits down here to see us, and for our outstanding fan support outside of the state to be displayed nationally to potential recruits.

Archived