Piazza Bergamo

RestedTraveler

Any suggestions? You have to admit that there is an issue here. We have a significant DT population now, they are going to have pets. They have to go somewhere.

Frankly this area needs a real "wow" factor injection. With everything going on at Falls Park, we don't want the Main St. core to be too neglected.

There needs to be at least one, and perhaps two dog parks in the downtown area. People need a place for their dogs to run, play with other dogs, and use the bathroom. Hopefully something like that would keep people from being outraged about the removal of the Piazza Bergamo grass.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

EDIT: Delete Duplicate Post please - MySql Maximum Number of Connections problems again. :shok: I didn't realize that the post actually took the first time.

Might I suggest ORACLE Real Application Clusters? It's not as affordable as MySQL, but I hear it's pretty scalable! :thumbsup:

My apologies for the shameless plug. :rofl: I couldn't resist.

After looking at the plans, it looks good to me. I can see the restaurant Sassafras not liking the carousel and I can see where carousel being more of a Macpherson park thing, but otherwise it makes the facility a lot better looking than before. I'm ok with it.

I like the Bergamo statue there as well, though it seems that location would be a great place for the Nathaniel Greene statue, better than in front of the newspaper.

Now if we can just build that Italian Renaissance thing where Young Fashion is...

RT i still think a large Oracle tower in downtown would be great are you sure you don't have the "pull" to make that happen.Seems to me you should be a pretty good salesman the way you sell everyone else on Greenville.

I'm quite certain I don't. It would likely be a mid-rise out along I-85 anyway, knowing our Real Estate guys. :rolleyes:

After looking at the plans, it looks good to me. I can see the restaurant Sassafras not liking the carousel and I can see where carousel being more of a Macpherson park thing, but otherwise it makes the facility a lot better looking than before. I'm ok with it.

I like the Bergamo statue there as well, though it seems that location would be a great place for the Nathaniel Greene statue, better than in front of the newspaper.

Now if we can just build that Italian Renaissance thing where Young Fashion is...

I printed this out and showed it to my wife. She loves these plans, oddly enough. I had expected her to not like it. However, she loves the idea of having seven restaurants surrounding the piazza, the fountain, the planters (assuming they're raised high enough to sit around), the statue, and even the carousel. She's not too fond of the green patch remaining, even in a reduced size.

I would have to agree with you, Jason, that this would be more of an ideal place for the Nathaniel Greene statue than the proposed location at the corner of Broad and South Main.

I hope the restaurants on that Young Fashion side of the piazza are part of the Itanian Renaissance style development that had been proposed.

BTW...has anybody noticed that the seats in the front window of Young Fashion are from Ripken Field in Aberdeen, MD? How odd.

Now that I see the plan in detail, I have to say I agree with RT's wife. It does look pretty good. The abundance of trees and planters would give the area a lush green feel. I do differ with Mrs. RT on the grass though. There is actually room to make that bigger and I would suggest doing that. Find a little space somewhere else to make a bark park, and all should be right with the world.

I am even having second thoughts on the carousel. It would give kid's a reason to beg their parents to go there. As it stands now, the kids might just be content to go to Falls Park and be satisfied.

I would try to make the founatin more attention-getting though. Not too basic.

I also agree the Greene statue would go well there.

There does need to be a hearing on this AT NIGHT, so that people who work, don't have to take vacation time to make their feelings known.

I would try to make the founatin more attention-getting though. Not too basic.

I also agree the Greene statue would go well there.

I'm thinking that maybe the fountain and the statue should trade places. The fountain would be the attention-getting piece out by Main Street and draw people in. The Statue would be prominent enough to be visible from the street as well, and really entice people to venture back into the piazza. The outdoor dining at the restaurants would just be icing/frosting on the cake.

I'm still not warming up to the carousel idea.

As for the green, here's another thought: It would be nice if the green were replaced with green grassy dug-out steps ... a mini amphitheatre ... similar to the one at the Peace Center ... something which would still provide ample place for Downtown Alive performances and patrons to watch, but not necessarily be useful as a Dog Park or an Ashtray.

Lose the grass. Create space for local and traveling artists. I'd love to see a space reserved for sidewalk art, personally. Okay, I'm just throwing out random ideas, since both public meetings were at inopportunistic times for me to attend. I really wish the City would think about and include everyone in this process. :huh:

• 2 months later...

Archived