Favorite Mall in SC?

perrykat

Have any of you heard that Greenville mall is going to be tore down, and another 80 million dollar mall project is going to be started on that same land. Those are some things that appear to be in the process right now. It would just add more congestion to woodruff road though which is already bad enough ;-(

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Have any of you heard that Greenville mall is going to be tore down, and another 80 million dollar mall project is going to be started on that same land. Those are some things that appear to be in the process right now. It would just add more congestion to woodruff road though which is already bad enough ;-(

Costco, Rooms to Go, etc.-- 300,000+sf. So sad- as I like upscale malls (and loved Greenville Mall in its second incarnation).

I think it depends on where it is and how its set up. Greenville Mall has been a pretty steady failure for many years, much like Richland Mall (though the circumstances surrounding each are somewhat sifferent). The tradny, upscale malls won't go anywhere. Your Haywood, Columbiana, Lenox Square, etc type of mall. The less popular ones will probably die off in favor of these town center/ lifestyle center things... Columbia Place is a good example of that. Its certainly not dead yet, but I think once the Village at Sanhill gets going it will probably be negatively affected. Of course, Columbia Places's advantage is that VAS is so far out that its inconvenient to many in town shoppers.

They definately are past their prime. I have mixed opinions about these lifestyle centers though.

I disagree. Malls are still very relevant for people who want to do their shopping without being affected by the weather! The lifestyle centers being built are not a great idea, because they are tremendously ineffective at keeping out the elements. These centers are suited best in climates that don't change very much, such as in Miami, Tampa, Orlando, and cities in Arizona and California. The thunderstorms that pound SC cities during the summer and the cold of winter that still hits this state keeps people away from places like Sandhills and Town Centre. People want to shop in relative comfort, and running from store to store in these centers to keep from getting wet or cold does not provide a comfortable experience.

Malls will continue to be important in retail markets, but they will need to constantly improve their appearances, provide a safe and secure environment, and have new, innovative experiences such as having technology fairs, or even amusement attractions like the Mall of America. Malls are still inviting with their environmental comfort being unsurpassed in comparison to these lifestyle centers.

Very valid points CN. But then why are they building them all over the state?
Mostly because developers have ready cash and demographic studies that tell them that this is what people supposedly want. It'll get exploited like the mall industry did and ten years from now, we'll be talking about how bad lifestyle centers are. It's the "planned obsolecence" cycle of retail development.

Mostly because developers have ready cash and demographic studies that tell them that this is what people supposedly want. It'll get exploited like the mall industry did and ten years from now, we'll be talking about how bad lifestyle centers are. It's the "planned obsolecence" cycle of retail development.

Wow, great information Steve. I'd be interested to know what kind of demographic studies give them this information. Do they look for general trends like people wanting nicer, more modern facilities or are people actually saying they want these outdoor centers?

Wow, great information Steve. I'd be interested to know what kind of demographic studies give them this information. Do they look for general trends like people wanting nicer, more modern facilities or are people actually saying they want these outdoor centers?
Retail research is huge business. There are dozens of market research firms that take surveys at shopping malls and online, trying to find out the pulse of retail. They synthesize this with retail sales and come up with predictions that the industry bases its future on.

This is a taste of what goes on: Markdown-onomics from New York magazine, posted on my blog.

Archived