Westin Poinsett Rooftop Sign

gs3

Curious what everyone thinks about this. The sign on top of the Westin that says Poinsett Hotel...not sure what year it was installed, but it's obviously VERY old. When Westin reopened the Poinsett, they never reworked the sign. I think it would be great if this sign worked. The large red letters lighting up the downtown sky, would be very retro. All cities in the 50's had large red signs on the roofs of their tallest buildings and hotels.

I know this sign probably isn't in step with the current Starwood/Westin image, but it seems like a great part of history is being lost, by not being lit.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hmm... I'll have to think about this one. I'm not sure I like the concept of having a large red "POINSETT HOTEL" sign beaming from the top of the Westin Poinsett at night. Maybe if it were retro-fitted with white instead of red? Hmm... I'm not so sure I'd even like to see that. I could use some convincing.

Hmm... I'll have to think about this one. I'm not sure I like the concept of having a large red "POINSETT HOTEL" sign beaming from the top of the Westin Poinsett at night. Maybe if it were retro-fitted with white instead of red? Hmm... I'm not so sure I'd even like to see that. I could use some convincing.

You know.....the PI with the blonde bombshell, standing by the window in the hotel room, the red light filtering in the window...the city below....the horns beeping......maybe Lois and Clark.....Gotham City......etc, etc. :D

The red light doesn't go with the image of Westin, true, but old signs like this are such a rarity now. I'm guessing it was red neon. Signs now are all one big flat panel with fluorescent tubes behind. Long gone are the days of the individual letters and neon, lighting up the sky over cities.

This sign should be saved. If not lit on top of the Westin, then moved to park, or a prominent spot in the city and saved. More should be done with this sign than just allowing it to continue to rust on top of the Westin.

Ideas?

You almost had me sold on the bombshell part there. Had you said Rose McGowan instead, I'd have bought it. :silly:

In all seriousness though, I think it'd make a nice addition to the Upcountry History Museum collection.

Interesting thought. I'll bet that sign looks a bit bigger when you bring it indoors. :blink: It's like buying a piano. "It didn't look that big in the store".

I think it would be cool if they lit it on special occasions, but not every day. Maybe holidays?

Nice idea! Even re-work the neon tubing to display special color schemes, depending on the holiday.

Reminds me of Roanoke's star atop Mill Mountain:

roanoke_star.jpg

Normally, it's lit up all white, not unlike our Roper Mtn star, but Roanoke's is lit year round. The image above is used on patriotic holidays. And if I seem to remember correctly, the star would be made to flash if there was an automobile accident, resulting in a death. No need to make the Westin sign do that, but enhance it with more colors, and it could be spectacular!

Nice idea! Even re-work the neon tubing to display special color schemes, depending on the holiday.

Reminds me of Roanoke's star atop Mill Mountain:

roanoke_star.jpg

Normally, it's lit up all white, not unlike our Roper Mtn star, but Roanoke's is lit year round. The image above is used on patriotic holidays. And if I seem to remember correctly, the star would be made to flash if there was an automobile accident, resulting in a death. No need to make the Westin sign do that, but enhance it with more colors, and it could be spectacular!

Isn't there a building in Cincinnatti that lights up different colors depending on the weather?

I think that Greenville has a great mix of old and new. A good balance of the two is healthy. You can't just have extremely old and very new stuff. You'd be leaving out an entire era in Greenville's past. The sign represents a decade of excitement and a different view of glamour. Lit up, it would be yet another icon of Greenville. I'll say it again, what else would cover up that hideous box that sticks out of the Poinsett's roof? Might as well cover it up.... Anyway, It'd be like doing drastic renovation to the outside of the Landmark building-- It might not be all that beautiful to the eye, but it's our past. It was the tallest building in the state for a long while and its architecture represents how our city evolved, like the time period that such great strides were made to turn our city around and to leave the Textile business behind... Light the sign and honor our past. :)

I think that Greenville has a great mix of old and new. A good balance of the two is healthy. You can't just have extremely old and very new stuff. You'd be leaving out an entire era in Greenville's past. The sign represents a decade of excitement and a different view of glamour. Lit up, it would be yet another icon of Greenville. I'll say it again, what else would cover up that hideous box that sticks out of the Poinsett's roof? Might as well cover it up.... Anyway, It'd be like doing drastic renovation to the outside of the Landmark building-- It might not be all that beautiful to the eye, but it's our past. It was the tallest building in the state for a long while and its architecture represents how our city evolved, like the time period that such great strides were made to turn our city around and to leave the Textile business behind... Light the sign and honor our past. :)

Well said GvilleSC! :thumbsup: We shouldn't try to remake or remodel everything that doesn't fit a current look. That's what happened in the late 50's and 60's when all the wonderful facades of buildings were covered with metal for a "mod" look. We've realized the mistake. Buildings from all decades should be preserved, no matter if it was a gorgeous Victorian turn of the century, or an "ugly" sixties. Gives a city more character, and lets people visualize the growth and progress cities made in each decade.

• 2 months later...

Yes, and I absolutely LOVE it! This is definitely something to make more people interested in the center. As for the "Hotel Poinsett" sign, I remember seeing it lit back in the 80s and would love to see it restored and shining brightly once again. I would also love to see a Westin sign somewhere up there. :shades:

They are lighting up the bilo center for breast cancer awareness. They will be selling pucks at the Greenville Grrrowl game this coming up Sunday for ten dollars to help fight breast cancer. I'm not sure if they will leave it lit up or not, but I hope they do. More info: http://grrrowl.com/news/?id=7717

While the Susan G. Komen Breast Cancer Foundation is an excellent cause, their signature color is typically pink. The Bi-Lo Center; however, has been lighted up with red lights. This makes me suspect that these lights may be more permanent.

It's a great cause, by the way, and my wife will no-doubt want to go to a Hockey Game now that we're aware of this. Thanks for the information! :thumbsup:

Are you sure it's red because when I went to the hockey game tonight, it looked pink to me. The reason i'm saying this is for Breast Cancer Awareness Month is because they did the same thing to the Bilo Center last year during Breast Cancer Awareness Month. The first and second photo look like it's red, but the third one looks like it's pink. Also, I sure hope it's permanent whether it's red, pink, or even both.

Archived