Restaurant Development in NW Arkansas

mcheiss

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've never heard of it. Is it a chain or just something local?

Nevermind, I guess it is in the 36 Club? Here is a link to their menu.

Interesting burgers...

Uber Burger

I'm pretty sure it's pretty new and I don't think it's any type of chain. Oh and thanks for the link.

Looks like NWA could be losing another long standing restaurant. Mary Maestri's is facing eviction in Tontitown. The owner of the property has said that they haven't paid rent in quite a while and are being evicted. But owner of the restaurant says he hasn't received any type of notice and that it's just a misunderstanding. Guess we'll find out more in the near future.

Last week I went to Tangiers, the new Mediterranean restaurant on College Ave, with my husband and some friends. We had high hopes, but the food was awful. Our food came out at different times-- I had my food at least 5 minutes before everyone else got theirs. Once they got their food, my husband and friends' shawarma meat was dry and unappealing. Both their shawarma and my falafel sandwich were served on a thin, dry tortilla-like flatbread instead of pita bread. They didn't have tzatziki sauce, and the owner tried to convince me that tahina is better, though the two are entirely different. The hummus tasted storebought. Worst of all, my falafel was completely uncooked in the middle. When we told the owner, he argued with us (!) and said that's the way it's supposed to be and that I must be used to boxed falafel. I informed him that I'd had plenty of falafel in Israel, and he kept arguing, saying I must've never had fresh falafel. Overall, the food and the service were both terrible. We won't return.

Last week I went to Tangiers, the new Mediterranean restaurant on College Ave, with my husband and some friends. We had high hopes, but the food was awful. Our food came out at different times-- I had my food at least 10 minutes before everyone else got theirs. Once they got their food, my husband and friends' shawarma meat was dry and unappealing. Both their shawarma and my falafel sandwich were served on a thin, dry tortilla-like flatbread instead of pita bread. They didn't have tzatziki sauce, and the owner tried to convince me that tahina is better, though the two are entirely different. The hummus tasted storebought. Worst of all, my falafel was completely uncooked in the middle. When we told the owner, he argued with us (!) and said that's the way it's supposed to be and that I must be used to boxed falafel. I informed him that I'd had plenty of falafel in Israel, and he kept arguing, saying I must've never had fresh falafel. Overall, the food and the service were both terrible. We won't return.

Wow. That's right up there with my review of the Weddington branch of Gusano's... home of the deep dish cracker crust, AKA 16 inch thin crust pizza dough smashed into a 14 inch pan. I've eaten at Uno's, Lou Malnati's and several other Chicagoland pizza places and it wasn't even close to the same thing. As for Tangiers, how can they not make tzatziki sauce I make it at home and it takes like 3 minutes, especially now that you can buy Greek yogurt instead of having to strain plain yogurt.

We are developing a national (but new to AR) fast causal concept in several locations in Arkansas. We are looking for any general local knowledge/suggestions regarding Little Rock and/or/vs NW AR (including recommended areas for development and working with the juristictions). Any information would be much appreciated.

I'm new to UrbanPanet so let me know if this post belongs somewhere else (I have also posted something similar in the coffeehouse sub-sections and Little Rock New Restaurant section).

We are developing a national (but new to AR) fast causal concept in several locations in Arkansas. We are looking for any general local knowledge/suggestions regarding Little Rock and/or/vs NW AR (including recommended areas for development and working with the juristictions). Any information would be much appreciated.

I'm new to UrbanPanet so let me know if this post belongs somewhere else (I have also posted something similar in the coffeehouse sub-sections and Little Rock New Restaurant section).

Hmmm...might be a little easier if you mentioned what type of food and such would be involved. As far as NWA goes most places would either consider locating in Fayetteville or Rogers/Bentonville. Overall I think a lot of the chains have focused on the Rogers/Bentonville area. Might be a rough time to try to start a new restaurant with the current economy though. But maybe you're considering something a little more down the road. I don't know Rogers or Bentonville well enough to make suggestions there. A lot of chain restaurants have focused around the NWA Mall area of North Fayetteville. Dickson St is a pretty vibrant area closer to downtown Fayetteville if you could find a spot there.

As Mith said knowing more information about what you are proposing would help in givng you information to use. Dickson Street in Fayetteville is indeed a great place as it is the entertainment district of Northwest Arkansas. There are several chains such as Qdoba Mexican Grill, Geno's Pizza and Jimmy John's Gourmet Sandwiches that all do a good business between patronage from the University of Arkansas students and the general public. If you choose to locate in the Dickson Street area you should make a move within the next few months as it is in danger of being made a historic district by ordinance with the accompanying restrictions that can entail.

Savor's bar is interesting. Large. Lots of I.O Metro furniture. Felt like I was in the bar of a 300-room hotel somewhere other than NWA. No windows. Makes it hard to tell what time of day it is. Food was terrible. Very expensive, cold. Service was downright weird. There were four people at the hostess desk, none of which wanted to help us. And I think our waiter was a self-flagellator. I felt sorry for him.

They are gonna have a hard time, I predict.....

I can offer you expertise and assistance on fast casual concepts as I have worked with several national and regional brands as their real estate representative in Arkansas. If you will provide me with your contact information (email address is perfect), I will respond with my info.

While looking through all the restaurant postings, I noticed that there are a lot of pizza places open or opening up soon. Maybe we should make a compendium of all the pizza places in NWA, organized by city, price, and type (i.e. Chicago, New York, traditional Italian, etc.). Maybe we could also include their contact info and a link to Google Maps to show the location. Anyone else care to take up this endeavour? ;)

They have been doing alot of work on the old Oseguera's bulding along north College over the past month or so. I finally found out what they were going to be doing there. From what I heard it will be an Andy's Frozen Custard. I believe there is one in Rogers as well. It is only about 1/2 of a mile from Shakes. I would think that a custard place would work a little better over on 6th (MLK) street with no current competition on that side of town.

They have been doing alot of work on the old Oseguera's bulding along north College over the past month or so. I finally found out what they were going to be doing there. From what I heard it will be an Andy's Frozen Custard. I believe there is one in Rogers as well. It is only about 1/2 of a mile from Shakes. I would think that a custard place would work a little better over on 6th (MLK) street with no current competition on that side of town.

Thanks for the info. I know a number of us were wondering what was going on there. Like you said seems like competition might be a bit stiff at that location. But I'm happy to see something going in on College Ave.

Wow I agree with you totally.

In order to get to this new Frozen Custard place, most of Fayetteville will have to drive past Braum's, Shakes, and Maggie Moo's on their way.

Its just about the worst possible location as far as competition goes.

Probably won't last too long.

I tried Uber Burger on Dickson which opened this week. It was fantastic.

Ate lunch there last week. My cheeseburger was a little dry and pricey. Cheeseburger and coke $12.00. My friends lamb burger was raw, I mean raw, and she had to send it back. Won't be going back.

there has been another closing in Springdale's 'restaurant row': Chili's is gone, signs are down, and a 'for sale' sign is up. Yet another victim...

Isn't there a Chili's in Siloam Springs? Seems odd to have one in Siloam Springs but can't go in the second biggest city in NWA. Although it probably doesn't help that there are other Chili locations not too far away from the Springdale location.

Not sure where exactly I'd put this bit of info. Not really restaurant related but I sorta consider it food related personally. Looks like the possibility of having Sunday liquor sales could be happening, or at least the option. Sounds like the state is seriously considering letting cities decide the matter themselves. I think only Eureka Springs and Altus have Sunday liquor sales. I guess overall it doesn't affect me too much. But I wouldn't mind having the option in case I forgot something or wanted something in particular on a whim for Sunday and don't want to drive all the way across the state border. That and why not allow some local options rather than sending people across the state border. In some other related news. I while back ago Washington County realized they had forgotten about some liquor licenses that are available. Seemed like there was something like 4-5. More became available after an increase in population. I've mainly heard that EZ Mart was trying to get these licenses for a number of their locations in Washington County. But I've also heard there's a possibility that Macadoodles is considering a location in Washington County also.

Out of curiosity, is the concept your opening Five Guys? I'm working with a Five Guys franchise that is launching in Omaha and may be of some help.

There's a new restaurant located at the corner of Center and Frisco Trail. The Trail Side Tea Room I think is what its called.

Soups, sandwiches, etc. Good stuff.

Thanks for reminding me about that. I was on the Frisco Trail a while back and it hadn't opened yet. I was wondering if they had a good selection of tea.

Archived