Shreveport/Bossier City Development

NCB

I was just looking at an aerial photo of Bossier's riverfront. There's still some developable land north of the Bass Pro Shop along the riverfront. You can see it on the top of this photo (which was probably flown in early 2005):

151880177.jpg

I think that proposed hotel tower would be perfect for that area. Does anyone know who owns this land? The city should really encourage a developer to come in and build some complimentary use to the Boardwalk to fill in the riverfront. A couple of highrise condos would be nice :D If I had the means, it'd swoop in and jump on that tomorrow.

I can't imagine they would just let the hotel plans fall by the wayside, especially since the project has been so successful and continues to grow. But then again, the marina was something that was tauted all along and now may not actually happen. They may just wait to see if the demand is there after completing the smaller hotel.

You seem to have connections Brian, just give John Good a quick call for us. ;)

I wish I had a connection to Good, I really do. However I do have an email in to the property manager, though historically speaking he doesn't do a good job of responding. This time I wrote him with an inquiry rather than a complaint, and of course I sucked up a bit, so hopefully I'll get a positive response... or any response for that matter. ;)

I was just looking at an aerial photo of Bossier's riverfront. There's still some developable land north of the Bass Pro Shop along the riverfront. You can see it on the top of this photo (which was probably flown in early 2005):

151880177.jpg

I think that proposed hotel tower would be perfect for that area. Does anyone know who owns this land? The city should really encourage a developer to come in and build some complimentary use to the Boardwalk to fill in the riverfront. A couple of highrise condos would be nice :D If I had the means, it'd swoop in and jump on that tomorrow.

I could be way wrong here, but I think Bossier City owns Cane's Landing (the land shown in that photo.) The reason I believe this is, several years ago Bossier City held a couple of events on the property and was considering turning it into a festival site.

My own personal vision for that property is a more upscale section of the Boardwalk that would be outlet-free, and upscale restaurants as opposed to themed places like Joe's or Hooters. Nothing against those places, I'm glad to finally have them. I do think, though, the property should evolve into a more upscale development north of Bass Pro.

I'd be content with condos or something, though. The one major component that the Boardwalk is lacking is residential space. I suppose the biggest problem would be with people wanting to pay big bucks to own something so close to 'Old Bossier.'

Uh, the last thing they need is another festival site. Someone with aspirations to really enhance Shreveport/Bossier's identity needs to step up. A mixed use development with an upscale retail component on the riverfront woud be a amazing addition to this city. If you really want to revitalize a city center, you have to cater to professionals would want to live and work near downtown (and can afford it). Even if they're not highrises, a new condominium/townhouse/retail development that integrated with the riverfront would be ideal. Just look at Vegas as an example. It started off as a gambling desert town just 50 years ago, and today it's the fastest growing city in America that's become much more than a place to gamble - and the condo market there is out of control (mostly highrises no less). Not saying we should compare Shreveport/Bossier to Vegas, but there are lessons to be learned there. The Boardwalk is a major step in the right direction, but they're not quite there yet, in my opinion. Hopefully someone will see the opportunity in the vacant Cane's Landing land.

Man, if i had the jack (powerball-type jack), i would build a riverfront baseball park for a AA minor-league team... and couple that with an amusment park and an upscale riverfront shopping district w/ restaurants to boot. could you imagine the synergy of that thing? Kids, sports, shopping, and dining... anyone down?

Edited by Metlife

Man, if i had the jack (powerball-type jack), i would build a riverfront baseball park for a AA minor-league team... and couple that with an amusment park and an upscale riverfront shopping district w/ restaurants to boot. could you imagine the synergy of that thing? Kids, sports, shopping, and dining... anyone down?

The only potential problem I see with that is the fact that this area is notorious for not supporting minor league sports. The Captains were an exception to that rule until about the last decade or two. The Mudbugs are also an exception.

I hated to lose the Captains, and I wish the area could lure another team. That would require public backing, which I'm not sure they would get. I do like to think positively, but in this case it's hard to. Riverfront stadiums do normally look very nice and complement the "great outdoors" very nicely.

An amusement park would be nice as well, but again you've got something that would require public backing. If it's not done right, it's not going to bring in any money. I hated to see the city lose Hamel's Amusement Park, but I can't help but think that if it were larger and had more rides and attractions, it would still be around today.

I can picture it all, but I have to look at it from a more realistic point of view. Would the public truly come out and support these projects? Maybe, but it's questionable for sure. However having them tied in with the Boardwalk would definitely be a benefit, like how the arena and ballpark in Oklahoma City are tied in with Bricktown.

I will say this, though... if any city in this area can do it, it's Bossier. That city truly does have a "get it done" attitude... in most cases.

^ Congratulations, Darius... you da man! I'm wanting to get back to school, but everytime I get serious about it, something comes up or I get told that what I want to do requires full-time attendance. Damned if you do, but more damned if you don't! ;)

Oh, and there's always room in Shreveport. If you do have trouble finding a job and truly do consider Shreveport, I'll gladly help you scour the employment ads in the Shreveport Times.

Thanks a lot! I'd really appreciate that. I've just about looked all over the Texarkana area. No luck yet.

Hello everyone,

I don't post often but i wanted to drop my 2 cents worth in.

I am in agreement that the above listed areas are where some growth could occur in the near future.

Still, i haven't seen many posts about the most underdeveloped area of Shreveport.

Bert Kouns.

There are thousands of undeveloped acres between I-20 and I-49, many of them in large blocks of 150 acres or more.

This is the future of Shreveport.

Once the Youree corridor is saturated the businesses will look elsewhere and the first area of expansion should be here.

Just my observation,

Mudbugger

Thanks for sharing your observation, Mudbugger! There are, in fact, many acres along Bert Kouns. I do believe that once Youree Drive fills up, many companies will start to look at the Bert Kouns/I-49 area once again. That area was beginning to build up until Youree Drive started booming. Suddenly, though, the focus shifted to Youree Drive.

As more and more people move south of Shreveport into areas like Provenance, Southern Trace, Wallace Lake, and north DeSoto Parish, there will become more and more need for retail and eateries in that area. This should become a catalyst for growth along that stretch of Bert Kouns, in my opinion.

Construction should begin soon on the Church at Red River (I believe that's its name,) just off Bert Kouns facing I-49. Is it Fluornoy-Lucas Road that crosses I-49 just south of Bert Kouns with no ramps accessing I-49? Whatever street it is, that's the street the church will be accessed from. The church has plans for a big sanctuary and other church-related buildings, with much more planned down the road. They own many acres in that area fronting I-49 and have very big plans for the site. They were recently given approval for their zoning so I wouldn't expect construction to be too far down the road.

Edited by SBCmetroguy

There's so much going on in the Shreveport area that I'm sure it shocks you sometimes doesn't it, Brian? Do you think the boom will continue for quite a while?

What shocks me, Darius, is Bossier City and Bossier Parish. I always looked at Bossier City as the metro beotch, in that it seemed extremely inferior to Shreveport. Bossier City, at the time, was a city of about 50,000 across the river from its big brother of 200,000. Now Shreveport is still around 200,000 and Bossier should be over 60,000 by now. In addition, Bossier Parish is expected to surpass 100,000 at any time. I was in Benton earlier tonight checking on 3 homes I have going right now, and I found myself thinking, "this town needs a Wal-Mart Supercenter." Besides my wife was in the Bossier City Wal-Mart Supercenter earlier today and she actually called me on the cell phone and said she'd rather be dead than be in that store. It was truly *that* bad to her, and to be honest I can't blame her. It's hot, it stinks, it's overcrowded, it's understocked and picked over, and all the lines extend out well beyond the checkout area. It's a mess to say the least... undoubtedly the most hectic and busiest Wal-Mart Supercenter I've ever been in.

The boom in this area is showing no signs of weakness, there is no doubt. I can drive around the same subdivisions week after week and see obvious changes. Another huge chunk of land between Bossier City and Benton now has a "Zoning Change" sign on it, denoting its change from agriculture to either residential or commercial. Unreal. Just last weekend I watched a Sheriff's Deputy trying to round up a couple of stray horses on that property and now it's marked for development.

If the tax increase passes in September, Haughton will likely begin to see more retail and restaurant development over the next decade as well. The infrastructure will be upgraded to support more homes and businesses in that area, so Haughton will have the kind of advantage that Benton has.

Even having driven out into south Bossier, all the way down at Sligo Road, I've been impressed. New Subdivisions are being developed out there and that is unreal. Bossier City's urbanized area now stretches from Sligo Road all the way to just south of Benton. I'm not sure how many miles that is, but I can say I remember when both the Sligo Road area and Benton were considered "the boondocks" and now everyone is flocking to those areas.

South Shreveport and West Shreveport are also impressing me, though, as is the Shreve City area. To watch these changes firsthand is very nice and welcomed. On Wednesday I went to lunch on Youree Drive and there was a survey crew out in the last remaining field collecting data to make room for yet another decent-sized power center (the Kohl's/JC Penney center.) And west Shreveport has 2 new hotels going up, a new Home Depot opened last year, 2 new banks going up, a retail center with a Starbucks going in, and a Target and possibly a multiplex theater planned.

This brings up another topic for me: Starbucks. Starbucks is crazy. There are three places to get Starbucks coffee in Shreveport within 1 block. There is a new stand-alone Starbucks store on Youree Drive. Across the street from this store is SuperTarget, which has a Starbucks store inside it. One block over is Barnes N Noble, which sells Starbucks coffee in its cafe. Bossier City even has two starbucks within 1/2 mile of one another now as well. There is a new stand-alone store on Airline Drive, and just around the corner on E. Texas Street there is a Starbucks location inside the Albertson's store. Still not nearly as many Starbucks stores as in many cities, but they're definitely expanding locally.

Okay, here are some graphics of the new Youree Drive shopping center, ready for this week's MPC meeting.

Here is the site plan of the project... no tenants are listed, but it looks like quite a few anchor stores and quite a few outparcels (good locations for restaurants.)

P-16-06-4.jpg

And here is the outline of the area this new center will occupy. It is in fact not all of the remaining land between Youree and Kings, but rather the Youree Drive half as I'd suspected it would be. This opens up huge possibilities for Kings Highway development.

P-16-06-3.jpg

New single-story, multi-building (7 buildings) medical office complex proposed for Bert Kouns, just west of Linwood Avenue. This is just west of the Brookshire's and Sonic stores. This project is of a decent size and could truly set off more development in this area. The employees of these offices will need easy access to dining and shopping options. Not to mention there are now two or more medical office buildings just off I-49 at Bert Kouns, less than 1 mile east of this site.

This is the only image I could find, which is a landscape plan. It does show the layout of the buildings, though.

C-49-06-4.jpg

Edited by SBCmetroguy

Okay, here are some graphics of the new Youree Drive shopping center, ready for this week's MPC meeting.

Here is the site plan of the project... no tenants are listed, but it looks like quite a few anchor stores and quite a few outparcels (good locations for restaurants.)

Wow... this is great! Thanks for posting that. I have a feeling several new (possibly more upscale) national tenants to this market will sign on to this project. Not only is it bringing in a Kohl's dept store, but this is the last chance to locate on this stretch of Youree Drive. Also, the site plan shows the developer is including a water feature - in my opinion, when developers add these expensive amenities to their projects, it's to lure in bigger name tenants. I bet Shreveport will get their PF Chang's afterall. I can't wait to see the tenant roster for this thing.

Edited by fridayinla

Wow... this is great! Thanks for posting that. I have a feeling several new (possibly more upscale) national tenants to this market will sign on to this project. Not only is it bringing in a Kohl's dept store, but this is the last chance to locate on this stretch of Youree Drive. Also, the site plan shows the developer is including a water feature - in my opinion, when developers add these expensive amenities to their projects, it's to lure in bigger name tenants. I bet Shreveport will get their PF Chang's afterall. I can't wait to see the tenant roster for this thing.

You know, the PF Chang's thing really gets me. All along it was planned for the corner of Youree and 70th but that never happened. I kind of wonder if they didn't opt to not build on the corner due to possibly traffic tie-ups at the intersection. They very well could be waiting for this new section. And yes I saw the "water feature" but it also says "detention" so I wonder if it's just going to be a dressed-up detention pond... I suppose only time will tell.

I'm excited for this project to come on board. It's obvious by this that the Youree/70th/Kings/Bert Kouns corridor is not finished growing.

You know, the PF Chang's thing really gets me. All along it was planned for the corner of Youree and 70th but that never happened. I kind of wonder if they didn't opt to not build on the corner due to possibly traffic tie-ups at the intersection. They very well could be waiting for this new section. And yes I saw the "water feature" but it also says "detention" so I wonder if it's just going to be a dressed-up detention pond... I suppose only time will tell.

I'm excited for this project to come on board. It's obvious by this that the Youree/70th/Kings/Bert Kouns corridor is not finished growing.

Hmmm... I saw that "detention" note too, but I thought to myself, why in the world would there be a need for a functional detention pond in the middle of a parking lot? Especially since they're going to have to engineer a detention area along the south edge of the property. I feel like it has to be a planned water feature, but you're right, only time will tell.

Once the planning commission approves the plans this week, any idea of the construction schedule?

Hmmm... I saw that "detention" note too, but I thought to myself, why in the world would there be a need for a functional detention pond in the middle of a parking lot? Especially since they're going to have to engineer a detention area along the south edge of the property. I feel like it has to be a planned water feature, but you're right, only time will tell.

Once the planning commission approves the plans this week, any idea of the construction schedule?

The site is staked and ready to go. It looks like, as with their other center across the street, as soon as they get the green light they'll take off.

Anyway, I didn't even think about that being in the center of the parking lot. No doubt, it's got to be a water feature. Very nice. Now I really can't wait to see it.

The site is staked and ready to go. It looks like, as with their other center across the street, as soon as they get the green light they'll take off.

Anyway, I didn't even think about that being in the center of the parking lot. No doubt, it's got to be a water feature. Very nice. Now I really can't wait to see it.

Wow, unbelievable. :) There's another center across the street? Across Youree?

Wow, unbelievable. :) There's another center across the street? Across Youree?

:lol: no... King's Crossing is the center I'm talking about. They built a new street, called Regal Drive, between King's Crossing Shopping Center (with Lowe's, Cost Plus, Linens N Things, Petsmart, etc.) That's the street I was referring to.

There is another center across Youree, but it's much smaller. It has a Sam's Club, a Sears Service Center, Dollar Tree, Michael's, Golden Corral, etc. You probably already knew about that one, as it's been there for a couple of years now. Here's a link to that small center: http://www.plazadev.com/OneCenter.cfm?center_id=10

Edited by SBCmetroguy

:lol: no... King's Crossing is the center I'm talking about. They built a new street, called Regal Drive, between King's Crossing Shopping Center (with Lowe's, Cost Plus, Linens N Things, Petsmart, etc.) That's the street I was referring to.

There is another center across Youree, but it's much smaller. It has a Sam's Club, a Sears Service Center, Dollar Tree, Michael's, Golden Corral, etc. You probably already knew about that one, as it's been there for a couple of years now. Here's a link to that small center: http://www.plazadev.com/OneCenter.cfm?center_id=10

Ah! :) I do know about that one older one across Youree, just thought you were referring to a another new something that I hadn't heard about. I see what you were saying now.

New single-story, multi-building (7 buildings) medical office complex proposed for Bert Kouns, just west of Linwood Avenue. This is just west of the Brookshire's and Sonic stores. This project is of a decent size and could truly set off more development in this area. The employees of these offices will need easy access to dining and shopping options. Not to mention there are now two or more medical office buildings just off I-49 at Bert Kouns, less than 1 mile east of this site.

This is the only image I could find, which is a landscape plan. It does show the layout of the buildings, though.

It amazes me how Shreveport/Bossier has been able to diversify its economy so well and so quickly after the oil bust of the 80s. The medical/healthcare industry seems to be growing exponentially here. We were just talking about the development boom potential of Bert Kouns near I-49, and I agree with you Brian - this will set off more development! When is this development happening?

Very cool plans and outlines, Brian! I've always liked looking at that stuff. But I was wondering, how do you get your hands on those things?

It's all public information. I get most of my stuff from various sources: the MPC website, ZBA website, City Council website, etc. Having a wife who is very involved in all this, I usually know when the meetings are scheduled and can find all the information within a week of each meeting. She's my major source as she is very well connected.

It amazes me how Shreveport/Bossier has been able to diversify its economy so well and so quickly after the oil bust of the 80s. The medical/healthcare industry seems to be growing exponentially here. We were just talking about the development boom potential of Bert Kouns near I-49, and I agree with you Brian - this will set off more development! When is this development happening?

Yep, I think this will be a great thing for that area.

Anyway, as to when this will happen, who knows. They're up for zoning but I haven't seen or heard any mention as to a timeframe. Last time I was by there, there were no stakes showing on the property as far as I could see. I believe there are quite a lot of trees to clear first... not sure if they're that far along yet.

Thanks for sharing all that info yall. The new Youree Drive Shopping Center looks to be in a great location with King's Hwy. While driving around the area two years I was very impressed with all the development along the Youree corridor. I said to myself,"this is where the new money is in Shreveport". And it's surely changed since then I bet.

Edited by richyb83