Shreveport/Bossier City Development

NCB

>Does Shreveport have a demand for multi-storied parking Downtown ?

Definitely. There are numerous parking decks downtown, and at least 2 more on the drawing boards.

And you're right... the main reason for a high-rise condo development is for the views. The view of the CBD and the riverfront is amazing from up high, so I hope Shreveport gets in on that.

I had to visit the doctor today (SO now I'm on a diet and loads of medications, and needless to say I won't get to eat any of my favorite foods this weekend... or anytime soon for that matter.) Anyway, in the waiting room there was a copy of Building Design & Construction magazine from September of 2005. While flipping through (this is one of my favorite magazines) I noticed that there was an article about community colleges building and expanding campuses to be more like universities. At number 12 on the list of major community college construction was Bossier Parish Community College. It's a very nice campus and does remind one more of a larger college... their old campus was tiny and very outdated, so this was long-overdue.

View the article here.

Edited by supkof

I've heard that BPCC will be a boom for the community.

BPCC is a great school... and it's affordable. If you want a 2-year degree, go there. If you want a 4-year degree, start there and finish at Centenary or LSU-S.

The real educational development here will be if, and when, LSU-S and La. Tech merge and move all facilities to Shreveport.

Yet another airport Holiday Inn? Here's a proposal for a second Holiday Inn Express in the area of Shreveport Regional Airport, bringing the total number of Holiday Inn properties near the airport to 3. This will add to another Holiday Inn Express that is currently under construction behind the Auto Mall in southeast Shreveport.

Shreveport-Bossier metro Holiday Inn locations that I know of:

1. Holiday Inn - downtown Shreveport

2. Holiday Inn Holidome - Shreveport airport

3. Holiday Inn Express - Shreveport airport

4. Holiday Inn Express - Shreveport airport (proposed)

5. Holiday Inn Express - Business Park/Auto Mall (under construction)

6. Holiday Inn Express - Minden

7. Holiday Inn - central Bossier City

The real educational development here will be if, and when, LSU-S and La. Tech merge and move all facilities to Shreveport.

What are the chances of that?

Sounds like a good development for Shreveport, but I just can't imagine uprooting a major university like La. Tech and moving it to Shreveport. It seems like that would be very expensive and I can't imagine what Ruston would become without the university (and what would they do with the facilities?).

What are the chances of that?

Sounds like a good development for Shreveport, but I just can't imagine uprooting a major university like La. Tech and moving it to Shreveport. It seems like that would be very expensive and I can't imagine what Ruston would become without the university (and what would they do with the facilities?).

The option is actually being considered....

read about it here

And honestly, Ruston would have nothing to worry about if the University did leave. Ruston is a very wealthy city with more millionaires per-capita than most cities in Louisiana. The majority of La. Tech students actually commute from Shreveport-Bossier, and recently when I met with the School of Architecture, one of the instructors was actually one of Shreveport's most well-known architects. He commutes as well.

Edited by supkof

According to today's Shreveport Times, a large company is considering the Port of Shreveport-Bossier to possibly build a $2 billion, 1,000-acre project. This project would be huge, considering another big company, Steelscape, is currently building a 78-acre project at the Port. Speculation is that the unnamed company is also in the steel business.

At this point, the Port of Shreveport-Bossier is one of 15 sites the company is looking at, but if they choose to build at this port, that will be the one project this port has been waiting for since the beginning.

Read about it here......

Hey supkof. D@mn! Shreveport is definitely a city on the rise. Can't wait to see what else is coming down the pike.

I expect to, within the next few months, to be seeing many more suburban commercial and residential developments come online. And while that's all fine and dandy, it's the urban developments I'm more interested in, so I hope things pick up a bit in the inner-city.

I retract my last statement. After I made that post, I went to read the Shreveport Times online, and the second story was the one you mentioned. It's not in Shreveport where this happened, but in Greenwood (basically west Shreveport.)

I knew about this story a few days ago, but at the time the story broke they were saying the man was shot and killed. How does one confuse a story like that? How does one mistake a burn victim for a shooting victim?

Here's the story.

That's great! I'm glad the area is being revitalized instead of being left to fall apart.

Yes, it's a great thing. Not to mention, Shreveport desperately needs another Wal-Mart Supercenter to take the strain off the others. This store should take some of the strain off the Airline Drive and Bert Kouns stores, as it'll be located between the two of them. The Pines Road and Mansfield Road locations are still going to be busy, but maybe one of these days there will be some Wal-Mart Neighborhood Market stores built to take the strain off those stores as well.

What do you mean by pinned? Is this thread being shut down?

I PMed Nate asking him to pin it to the top with the other topics that need to stay at the top. This one, the daily photo thread, the city profile, and the welcome thread are all pinned to the top so they're always the first posts visible. That's all. :) The SBC is still open for bizz'ness, bro!

Okay, back to Shreveport-Bossier City development. Since there is SO much going on in suburban SBC, I figured I'd post some photos of some of this area's largest suburban developments going on right now. Some are new and others are in expansion mode.

Oak Alley - North Bossier City, off I-220 @ Airline Drive

FYI Nate, this neighborhood is right behind that big cluster of office buildings you saw off I-220 in Bossier.

139179675.jpg

139179664.jpg

139179659.jpg

139179643.jpg

139179612.jpg

139179606.jpg

139179601.jpg

139179595.jpg

139167372.jpg

139179589.jpg

139179583.jpg

139167358.jpg

139167354.jpg

139167349.jpg

139167346.jpg

139167330.jpg

139167317.jpg

139167306.jpg

139167289.jpg

139167281.jpg

That's all for Oak Alley, folks... hope you enjoyed this look into a typical suburban Shreveport-Bossier area.

Edited by SBCmetroguy

Thanks for that list; great for Shreveport being so economically diverse ! It seemed like a large amount of hospitals there on my last visit there. The pics of those new neighborhoods were nice, I guess there is no stopping suburban sprawl ?

IMO Shreveport is at an ideal location. It is the largest city between(if you were to draw a box) Dallas,Houston, Baton Rouge, Memphis, OKC and Little Rock. That's a large area !

Thanks for that list; great for Shreveport being so economically diverse ! It seemed like a large amount of hospitals there on my last visit there. The pics of those new neighborhoods were nice, I guess there is no stopping suburban sprawl ?

IMO Shreveport is at an ideal location. It is the largest city between(if you were to draw a box) Dallas,Houston, Baton Rouge, Memphis, OKC and Little Rock. That's a large area !

I was very proud to see the city on that list, since there was absolutely no growth here from the mid-80s to the early 90s. As a matter of fact, the area was economically depressed and there was an extreme loss of businesses and population. Since the mid-90s, this area has tried its best to build a diverse economic base, and I think this list proves that the efforts have paid off. And with more manufacturing companies becoming interested in the Port, I think that will continue. Honestly, if this area once again fell into as deep of a depression as it did in the 80's, I'd probably uproot and move to Chicago. As much as I'd love to live and work in Chi-Town, I can't make myself leave Shreveport to do so right now. And believe me, my wife sometimes tries real hard to drag me off to Chicago.