Columbia Economic Notes

emerging.me

I was at the 2020 Vision conference yesterday and got a lot of information on the future of Columbia and I mean a lot.

im going to try an make this short but 

1. I got some information on this Apartments Ontop of Garages. Matt Kennell the President and CEO of City Center personally told me that he saw a rendering awhile back as a concept of the first tower. he will personally send me an email when the official rendering comes out which should be sometime soon. but he said its a thin tower facing Towards Assembly St with an All Glass exterior giving the building a Ceiling to floor View.

2. Meredith Atkinson the Director of the Congaree Vista Guild gave me some information that shes not too happy about on the plans to build the High rise Apartment on the Corner of Lady and Park st. she said that deal is still being looked at by the city. she personally said she dont want the city to follow in the footsteps of Charlotte and build high rises in areas it dont belong. she went ahead and told me that this development would ruin the Vista if it was developed. but she did go on to tell me that the city is trying to work out a compromise.
Also during the meeting she told me that within the next couple years we are expecting to see more hotels popping up in the vista including one at Kline City Center. and she shown a rendering which i couldnt quite see because it was far away. but between now and next year we should have 8 hotels in the Vista alone.

3.My 1on1 with Matt Kennell when asked about public transportation for the city as in Rails he said that I would be the 5th person to ask him about that. He said that he know as of now that COMET has the Money to do it now and is even doing a study right now on Rails in Columbia. they are always talking about buying out some of the current lines owned by CSX and Southern Norfolk and utilizing them for Public Transit. he told me that the COMET needs to act now in developing Rail service for the city. He went on to tell me that the huge economic impact would be great for the city and any area surrounding the Rail Line. He also was telling me that an Idea they were working with the city is to build a brand new Center Transit Center similar to one like in Charlotte. 1 idea was where the current amtrak station is at by the said he doesnt know how much land is left in that area. 2nd idea was to build up the current Transit Center but put Pocket transit centers at the end of the Main bus lines. for Example. Sandhills have a Bus hub and Harbison has a bus hub and Garners Ferry has a bus hub.

4. They are about to build a Garage and a Pocket Park in Five points soon. I believe its called Centinnial Park for the Garage the city is trying to work out a way to impliment a Garage in Five points to ease parking issues. Also they are beautifying RR Trussles. (Quick fact) before Five points was built it used to be a Swamp. I never knew that.

5.they said theres over $1.5 billion  in development in Downtown Excluding BullStreet from 2014-2017

6. The Current population of Downtown Columbia is 5,000 which is up from a few years ago when it was only 1,200 and this is not including student housing.

There was many many more but the Future looks bright for Columbia in the near future.

Also I met Ben Arnold he was telling me about Don Tomlin and his developments. he told me before I mention it that he wants to and the city really needs to look into developing more Workforce and lower income housing along side these new young professional housing. but he did mention that Columbia really needs to bring in Higher paying jobs.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, growingup15 said:

I was at the 2020 Vision conference yesterday and got a lot of information on the future of Columbia and I mean a lot.

1. I got some information on this Apartments Ontop of Garages. Matt Kennell the President and CEO of City Center personally told me that he saw a rendering awhile back as a concept of the first tower. he will personally send me an email when the official rendering comes out which should be sometime soon. but he said its a thin tower facing Towards Assembly St with an All Glass exterior giving the building a Ceiling to floor View.

2. Meredith Atkinson the Director of the Congaree Vista Guild gave me some information that shes not too happy about on the plans to build the High rise Apartment on the Corner of Lady and Park st. she said that deal is still being looked at by the city. she personally said she dont want the city to follow in the footsteps of Charlotte and build high rises in areas it dont belong. she went ahead and told me that this development would ruin the Vista if it was developed. but she did go on to tell me that the city is trying to work out a compromise.
Also during the meeting she told me that within the next couple years we are expecting to see more hotels popping up in the vista including one at Kline City Center. and she shown a rendering which i couldnt quite see because it was far away. but between now and next year we should have 8 hotels in the Vista alone.

3.My 1on1 with Matt Kennell when asked about public transportation for the city as in Rails he said that I would be the 5th person to ask him about that. He said that he know as of now that COMET has the Money to do it now and is even doing a study right now on Rails in Columbia. they are always talking about buying out some of the current lines owned by CSX and Southern Norfolk and utilizing them for Public Transit. he told me that the COMET needs to act now in developing Rail service for the city. He went on to tell me that the huge economic impact would be great for the city and any area surrounding the Rail Line. He also was telling me that an Idea they were working with the city is to build a brand new Center Transit Center similar to one like in Charlotte. 1 idea was where the current amtrak station is at by the said he doesnt know how much land is left in that area. 2nd idea was to build up the current Transit Center but put Pocket transit centers at the end of the Main bus lines. for Example. Sandhills have a Bus hub and Harbison has a bus hub and Garners Ferry has a bus hub.

4. They are about to build a Garage and a Pocket Park in Five points soon. I believe its called Centinnial Park for the Garage the city is trying to work out a way to impliment a Garage in Five points to ease parking issues. Also they are beautifying RR Trussles. (Quick fact) before Five points was built it used to be a Swamp. I never knew that.

5.they said theres over $1.5 billion  in development in Downtown Excluding BullStreet from 2014-2017

6. The Current population of Downtown Columbia is 5,000 which is up from a few years ago when it was only 1,200 and this is not including student housing.

There was many many more but the Future looks bright for Columbia in the near future.

Also I met Ben Arnold he was telling me about Don Tomlin and his developments. he told me before I mention it that he wants to and the city really needs to look into developing more Workforce and lower income housing along side these new young professional housing. but he did mention that Columbia really needs to bring in Higher paying jobs.

Wow. Thanks for giving us this information! One thing that irks me is the vista and tower debate. Even USC has that areas as a business district. Did they say what kind of compromise they are working out or timetables?  Did they say anything about creating jobs or any kind? 

1 hour ago, growingup15 said:

Thanks for the effort in putting all this together! Can't wait to see the rendering of Tomlin's first tower!

• 3 weeks later...
12 hours ago, growingup15 said:

Oh joy looks like Forest Acre residents are complaining once again. Lemme guess its the older folks isnt it. probably the rich older folks who live near that area complaining.

Anyway heres the latest http://columbiabusinessreport.com/news/56856-public-hearing-set-for-60m-forest-acres-development

If Columbia doesn't grow, this will be the reason. The unwillingness for people to want the change. 

what a bunch of drama queens. 

post112.GIF

How much additional traffic can a mixed use development contribute when there was previously a private school on the property? I'm not 100% familiar with Cardinal Newman, but I would assume that it didn't offer school buses. There had to be major traffic jams twice a day as parents dropped off their children and students drove themselves into school.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, mpretori said:

If Columbia doesn't grow, this will be the reason. The unwillingness for people to want the change. 

what a bunch of drama queens. 

post112.GIF

Like i said its these older folks who think that no change is for the better. 

The city of both forest acres and Columbia need to start ignoring the minority who complains about change and start listening to the majority who wants change. because if this keeps up Columbia will never get anywhere.

Example the proposed Apartment Tower on Lady and Park St. as of when i talked to the Director of the Vista Guilds. yeah shes one of those people who is like WE DON'T WANT TO BE LIKE CHARLOTTE! and im like ok so you gonna shun every bit of change out. Charlotte took a step forward and made change Time to stop listening ot you guys and go with whats best for the city and start building.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, growingup15 said:

Like i said its these older folks who think that no change is for the better. 

The city of both forest acres and Columbia need to start ignoring the minority who complains about change and start listening to the majority who wants change. because if this keeps up Columbia will never get anywhere.

Example the proposed Apartment Tower on Lady and Park St. as of when i talked to the Director of the Vista Guilds. yeah shes one of those people who is like WE DON'T WANT TO BE LIKE CHARLOTTE! and im like ok so you gonna shun every bit of change out. Charlotte took a step forward and made change Time to stop listening ot you guys and go with whats best for the city and start building.

What has become of that tower? Did you hear anything about release or something about it there?

2 hours ago, mpretori said:

What has become of that tower? Did you hear anything about release or something about it there?

Its still on the books. The city is still looking into rezoning that land to build this. but "residents" of the Vista said it will Ruin their Quality of life if they build that tower. and the Director of the Vista Guild like i said she told me that They are not trying to copy charlotte with big buildings in their little neighbourhood. Honestly IMO That corner would be perfect for a tower but maybe nothing taller than 15 floors. it will look great up to the Rest of the Downtown Skyline and since not far away another tower is planning to be built on that side of Assembly st. i think its about time.

7 minutes ago, growingup15 said:

Its still on the books. The city is still looking into rezoning that land to build this. but "residents" of the Vista said it will Ruin their Quality of life if they build that tower. and the Director of the Vista Guild like i said she told me that They are not trying to copy charlotte with big buildings in their little neighbourhood. Honestly IMO That corner would be perfect for a tower but maybe nothing taller than 15 floors. it will look great up to the Rest of the Downtown Skyline and since not far away another tower is planning to be built on that side of Assembly st. i think its about time.

THAT is why it's taking forever to get the zoning hearing out this week. They got a new director, thank goodness. Maybe that director wont stall growth. Did they give a timeline? 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, mpretori said:

THAT is why it's taking forever to get the zoning hearing out this week. They got a new director, thank goodness. Maybe that director wont stall growth. Did they give a timeline? 

no timeline but the vista guild director told me that she and her neighbours who live there are going to keep fighting until they can stop that development in general. unfortunately.

37 minutes ago, mpretori said:

With the exception of Bull Street, Kline, and Canalside. Nothing being planned at the moment. Proposals has effectively ceased. This is what happens when you don't foster a environment for development and when the minority who dont want new developments and old money control the city. 

exactly

Growingup15, has Matt Kennell e-mailed you the rendering of Don Tomlin's proposed apartment tower slated for the corner of Assembly and Lady Streets? It hasn't been published anywhere to my knowledge, but someone has seen something. You know Ben Arnold has seen renderings, as he is doing over the old Moe Levy's site, directly across the street. I know it hasn't been submitted for approval yet, but let's just see what could happen there.

51 minutes ago, victory said:

Growingup15, has Matt Kennell e-mailed you the rendering of Don Tomlin's proposed apartment tower slated for the corner of Assembly and Lady Streets? It hasn't been published anywhere to my knowledge, but someone has seen something. You know Ben Arnold has seen renderings, as he is doing over the old Moe Levy's site, directly across the street. I know it hasn't been submitted for approval yet, but let's just see what could happen there.

The site has been in executive session and ordinance has passed back in October. That's the only thing they publicly put out, and not shared to a few. In the last meeting, for the first time, the lady street was not in the executive session. Usually they then present to the public, but that did not happen. Either A. they will make it public at the next meeting. Or B, Don scummed to pressure and suspended the projects. 

21 hours ago, mpretori said:

The site has been in executive session and ordinance has passed back in October. That's the only thing they publicly put out, and not shared to a few. In the last meeting, for the first time, the lady street was not in the executive session. Usually they then present to the public, but that did not happen. Either A. they will make it public at the next meeting. Or B, Don scummed to pressure and suspended the projects. 

Do you know when the next meeting is? The renderings usually hit the web or the front of The State newspaper, whether they actually get approved.

Looks like Columbia Has a New Basketball Team c: I am happy about this and to see a Former USC Basketball player is going to be one Running this new Team makes me even more happy.

Now i wonder what their Arena Plans are gonna be and how big.

Carolina Cougars is the new team. (Source: American Basketball Association)

http://www.wistv.com/story/31208736/ex-usc-basketball-player-to-help-run-new-aba-expansion-team-in-columbia

Edited by growingup15

3 hours ago, growingup15 said:

Looks like Columbia Has a New Basketball Team c: I am happy about this and to see a Former USC Basketball player is going to be one Running this new Team makes me even more happy.

Now i wonder what their Arena Plans are gonna be and how big.

Carolina Cougars is the new team. (Source: American Basketball Association)

http://www.wistv.com/story/31208736/ex-usc-basketball-player-to-help-run-new-aba-expansion-team-in-columbia

They would have been able to play in the Coliseum before it was converted into practice courts. There's no way Columbia pays for an arena for them, but I can see Lexington falling for it.

2 hours ago, carolinagarnet said:

They would have been able to play in the Coliseum before it was converted into practice courts. There's no way Columbia pays for an arena for them, but I can see Lexington falling for it.

I think the only odd thing about this is that they kept it under wraps until now. its not like when they wanted teh D League team here for the charlotte Bobcats and it got bad backlash quick. i think the city and this team purposely kept it under the table until it was final so it wont get the old folks non changing backlash.

56 minutes ago, growingup15 said:

I think the only odd thing about this is that they kept it under wraps until now. its not like when they wanted teh D League team here for the charlotte Bobcats and it got bad backlash quick. i think the city and this team purposely kept it under the table until it was final so it wont get the old folks non changing backlash.

The only way I see this happening (which I guess it is) is USC agreeing to play host to the team. I imagine this new league will play the months that the NBA does not, which happens to correspond with the dead season after college basketball. USC is not keen on sharing, but maybe they agreed to it to bring in extra revenue?

• Like 1

A developer announced another apartment complex right near Williams-Brice. Honestly I wish that momentum would completely swing to downtown, but I guess he has owned the land for quite a while and finally decide to capitalize on all of the other development.

http://columbiabusinessreport.com/news/56948-developer-plans-198-unit-apartment-complex-near-williams-brice?rss=0

On 12/30/2015 at 10:14 PM, krazeeboi said:

There are just as many or more people working in the other buildings being sold by the state. But I agree that if it were to be sold off, it should be to a private developer. I'd make an exception for USC if it were an Innovista research/office building specifically.

It looks like the state is selling industrial land further outside of the city rather than the buildings downtown identified in the Department of Administration report a few months ago. Bummer.

http://columbiabusinessreport.com/news/56949-state-picks-cbre-to-aid-in-surplus-property-sale?rss=0