Columbia Economic Notes

emerging.me

I don't know if anyone has already started a thread about this, but I saw this article in The State about the new Congaree Pointe development breaking ground tomorrow. What do you all think about this?

I think it's great. I was just hoping to read in the article that they plan to ask the city to annex them. On the map it looks like it's not too far away.

• 3 weeks later...

The $40 million multi-phase modernization of Palmetto Health Baptist includes 37,000-square-feet of new construction and 81,000-square-feet of renovations. The majority of the improvements focus on surgical, obstetrical, and neonatal services; specifics include:

* 4 new obstetrical rooms

* 27 renovated post-anesthesia care unit beds

* 3 new operating rooms

* 6 new same-day surgery pre-admission exam rooms

* New admissions nursery and nursing station

* Expansions and upgrades to 31 patient rooms, NICU, The Birthplace, and surgical pre-admission and post-operative recovery areas

Projected project completion is 4th quarter 2008.

Palmetto%20Baptist_F.jpg

Re: those houses they are building at corner of Woodrow and Millwood. (Old site of ETV) What's up with that transmitting tower still standing in the middle of the construction site? I'm sure those houses are going to be "upscale" and expensive, and it seems like the looming tower would turn off some buyers.

(Great pictures, BTW.)

I *think* ETV still transmits from it, but I'm not really sure. That's the only reason I can think of for its existence. I don't remember a tower at their facilities near the stadium.

SCETV or the Columbia WRLK no longer uses that tower. The tower that is currently in use until we switch to full digital operations, is on Hard Scrabble Road, about nine miles north of downtown. A taller relay tower is located in Sumter (tallest thing in Eastern South Carolina) to reach the Pee Dee area another is located in Spartanburg for the Upstate

Edited by Firefox

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It IS the southeast corner.

I thought that was just a staging area for the new baseball stadium? Wish they WOULD develop that lot, and do something about the homeless forest behind it. Having that hangout of indigent and drunk men so close to the sorority dorms should give the parents of these young ladies great pause.

On a separate note, no one has mentioned the re-lettering of the Wilbur Smith building. Yes, those HUGE letters advertising "W I L B U R" to the world have been thankfully replaced with a more understated, new logo for the firm. Thanks for small miracles!

I thought that was just a staging area for the new baseball stadium? Wish they WOULD develop that lot, and do something about the homeless forest behind it. Having that hangout of indigent and drunk men so close to the sorority dorms should give the parents of these young ladies great pause.

Is it? It seem like they wouldn't need a staging area over there. There is definitely *something* going on. I saw a crew working down in the woods there clearing out some of that junk. It's a real mess in there. I don't know what's going on. Somebody find out! :)