Columbia Economic Notes

emerging.me

Another nice addition to Rosewood, a new neighborhood restaurant/pub, deli and yoga studio is coming to a location near Publix. All three will open in one building: The restaurant will be in the basement, the deli will be at street level, and the yoga studio will be upstairs. The shops will open between March 15 and April 1. :yahoo:The State

Edited by BrasilnSC

A blurb from this week's edition of the Free Times about the coming downtown wayfinder signs:

Two prototypes of new way-finder signs the city of Columbia plans to install around town are posted on the south side of City Hall at 1737 Main St. The city put them up to seek input on how they look. The city has accepted a bid of about $225,000 from Signage Industries of North Carolina for the first phase of an overhaul to the city

The wayfinding signs look pretty good, I must admit. The colors match those of the city seal (although the exact shades are different), so that's a nice touch.

I also didn't know the Battery at Arsenal Hill was beginning construction. I'd been checking on the website periodically, but hadn't seen any updates. At any rate, it's good to see this project underway. It will bring some spunk to that part of the neighborhood.

Looks like the Rosewood Hills project is back on track. The hold up was due to several things, including underground utilities that had to be moved, a dispute with another developer over land for the detention pond, major personnel changes at the engineering firm, and a family of beavers that kept re-building a dam and blocking storm water drainage.

Home construction is set to begin by July.

I discovered a developement yesterday in a werid way, I was down past the SCDOT complex on shop road and I looked over to see this dump truck comming out of the woods and I looked back to noticed a large number of apartments rangeing from 2 to 3 stories going up in the development area does anyone know what in the world is going up over there I mean they are quite nice so its hard to think they are low income considering the area and they are not cookie cutter each building is diffrent and they have cleared a large area of land if i remember i was able to count about 6 buildings up already. This area is just past the railroad tracks if you are heading into columbia from I-77 on shop road. Google maps says its near the Washington Park area between Bluff and Shop Rds

Edited by Firefox

Not sure if anyone has posted on this but Palmetto Health Baptist expasion

The $40 million multi-phase modernization of Palmetto Health Baptist includes 37,000-square-feet of new construction and 81,000-square-feet of renovations. The majority of the improvements focus on surgical, obstetrical, and neonatal services; specifics include:

* 4 new obstetrical rooms

* 27 renovated post-anesthesia care unit beds

* 3 new operating rooms

* 6 new same-day surgery pre-admission exam rooms

* New admissions nursery and nursing station

* Expansions and upgrades to 31 patient rooms, NICU, The Birthplace, and surgical pre-admission and post-operative recovery areas

Projected project completion is 4th quarter 2008.

Palmetto%20Baptist_F.jpg

I don't think it's going to look two-toned like that, because the lighter colored section already exists and is not nearly that light in color. There might be some difference in the two sections when it is complete, but I think it will blend better than it does on the rendering. The best part about the addition, besides the healthcare aspect of it, is that it's going to urbanize that corner.

Edited by CorgiMatt

• 2 weeks later...