Sprindale Minor League Sports Complex and Minor League Baseball Stadium

mcheiss

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^

I hate to say it, but I think Springdale needs to move away from the poultry image. I'd hate to see the baseball team named after it. Something abit more progressive is in order.

Matt, I'd almost love to see them called the "Springdale tycoons".

That would:

A. Have a definite local connection apart from poultry proper;

B. Be unique in the sports world; and;

C. Could, IMO, lend itself into some interesting logo and uniform designs.

But...some would cry "class warfare" and they'd probably catch all kinds of flak.

^

I hate to say it, but I think Springdale needs to move away from the poultry image. I'd hate to see the baseball team named after it. Something abit more progressive is in order.

Yeah that also makes me wonder if they'd want to get away from the cowboy/rodeo image as well and go for something more progressive.

• 2 weeks later...

This doesn't really have another pertaining to the team here but while I was in Albuquerque I took some pics of the Albuquerque Isotopes Stadium. If anyone is interested I can post some pics.

I'd like to see them, Mith. (LOVe that name).

Channel 40/29 just had David Glass, the Royals owner, on. He said among other things:

- People don't realize how tough it is to get a AA team, and that cities across middle America will fight for one.

- He said he thinks AA is the best of all the minors as some of the best players will go from A to AA then to the majors, and said that he thinks the northern division of the Texas League is the best division of all AA.

- He'd like to see the team called "The Springdale Royals". The TV anchor said KHBS/KHOG had asked viewers what they'd like to call the team, and so far the most popular names are "The Springdale Diamonds" (Like it) or "The Springdale Naturals" (not bad).

Channel 40/29 just had David Glass, the Royals owner, on. He said among other things:

- People don't realize how tough it is to get a AA team, and that cities across middle America will fight for one.

- He said he thinks AA is the best of all the minors as some of the best players will go from A to AA then to the majors, and said that he thinks the northern division of the Texas League is the best division of all AA.

- He'd like to see the team called "The Springdale Royals". The TV anchor said KHBS/KHOG had asked viewers what they'd like to call the team, and so far the most popular names are "The Springdale Diamonds" (Like it) or "The Springdale Naturals" (not bad).

You know, none of those three names are bad.

Here's a few of the pics. I'll post more over in my picture topic for Albuquerque over in the Western US forum.

isotopesstadium01tl9.jpg

isotopesstadium02qr3.jpg

isotopesstadium03zu2.jpg

The rest of the pics are over here.

http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/index.ph...mp;#entry566094

Thanks, Mith. Not only do I love the "Isotopes" name, but that's an interesting ball park...those multi-colored windowpanes seemingly placed at random bring back memories. I also like the "A" in the atom logo...(deliberately, I'm sure) reminescent of the Starfleet Command logo Captain Kirk and Mr. Spock wore on their uniforms.

One other interesting thing about Glass' comments on 40/29 last night.

When he was talking about the northern division of the Texas League he named off the teams: Tulsa, Springfield, Northwest Arkansas and Little Rock (and he, too, started to talk about the potential rivalry he thought could develop between the Diamonds/Naturals/Royals and the Travelers.

Being a former CEO he probably was being politically correct for the area...I think "Northwest Arkansas" would definitely be too cumbersome for a team name to be attached to.

Thanks, Mith. Not only do I love the "Isotopes" name, but that's an interesting ball park...those multi-colored windowpanes seemingly placed at random bring back memories. I also like the "A" in the atom logo...(deliberately, I'm sure) reminescent of the Starfleet Command logo Captain Kirk and Mr. Spock wore on their uniforms.

Yeah I admit I'm a Simpsons fan so I find this particular team rather interesting myself. It's also just a somewhat interesting situation. You had a city lose their minor league team to eventually get one back named after a team that refers to Albuquerque in the Simpsons. From what I understand they are one of the top if not the top team in the amount of merchandise sold. Of course they can sell things to others part so the country whereas many people wouldn't care to buy merchandise to a team unless it was nearby or you had ties to that area.

Yeah I admit I'm a Simpsons fan so I find this particular team rather interesting myself. It's also just a somewhat interesting situation. You had a city lose their minor league team to eventually get one back named after a team that refers to Albuquerque in the Simpsons. From what I understand they are one of the top if not the top team in the amount of merchandise sold. Of course they can sell things to others part so the country whereas many people wouldn't care to buy merchandise to a team unless it was nearby or you had ties to that area.

Seems to me Albuquerque is riding the whole Atomic Age thing. I can only imagine the fans cheering "DROP THE BOMB!!!" during the game. It's kinda funny and kinda sick at the same time, but hey at least they're not insulting any Native Americans. :lol:

Seems to me Albuquerque is riding the whole Atomic Age thing. I can only imagine the fans cheering "DROP THE BOMB!!!" during the game. It's kinda funny and kinda sick at the same time, but hey at least they're not insulting any Native Americans. :lol:

It does have ties to that since all of that was done at Los Alamos in New Mexico. But the Isotopes name come more from the Simpsons. The Springfield team is named that because the only thing they have going for the town supposedly is the nuclear plant there.

Interesting tidbits in The Morning News:

David Glass checked into having a baseball team in the area years ago, he said. The area was big enough at the time to support a Single-A team but there were no leagues that size in the area. The idea had to be dropped, he said.

"This is a tribute to the growth in the area," Glass said. "Not only do we have a baseball team, but it's a Double-A team in the Texas League."

and;

Rich Products, the parent company for Rich Baseball, has a group of 20 vendors living in the area to work with Wal-Mart.

"They will be our eyes here," Rich said. "They will let us know how we are doing, if we are making mistakes."

and;

Springdale Stadium Progress

Next moves by Wranglers:

Name leader for the organization in Springdale

Start contest to name team

Start stadium-naming process

All should take place within 30 days, according to Bob Rich, owner of the Wranglers.

Next moves by city:

Close on bond sale near end of October

Purchase land

Start moving dirt by first of year

Start building stadium by March

Complete construction by March 2008

It looks like the Ballpark is also going to bring more water and sewer service to the nearly 2, 000 acres of land west of Interstate 540. The Springdale Water and Sewer Commission agreed on Friday to begin negotiations with USInfrastructure Inc. to engineer water and sewer improvements for Springdale

Archived