Restaurant Review

fluffy

I know that the place isn't new, but it was a godsend anyway. My brother and I had to be in GR late on a Sunday night last week. We were staying on 29th Street, but had no intention of eating or drinking in Kentwood. We went downtown, hoping to get a friendly brew and a burger at the Cottage, but it was closed at 8:30. Fortunately, Hopcat was open (and bustling). Brother is a hop fiend so he had an excellent IPA. I chose a maltier brew (since I am no longer a regular beer drinker, I don't remember the label) and liked it a lot. The sandwiches and fries also were excellent.

A delightful place for a late Sunday repast (Sunday Night Football at the bar as well) and what a change from old Grand Rapids, when NOTHING was open on a Sunday night, much less a place to have a beer. The evening was topped off with a tour of some of the Artprize exhibits and a nostalgic trip up Monroe.

You were in town and you didn't tell us??

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Game, Set, Match. Done deal, Jonny B'z whipped up the best dogs I've have in ten years !!!!

Ohhhh Nellie, first the roll. Flashback to Fenway but better with the toasted sides. Perfect crunch. The dog itself was fantastic, no boiling, so it wasn't some watery tube of meat goop. Great blend of meat cuts and spices, very lean. The signature dog with chili was fantastic. Good chili, not too spicy like a lot of Detroit coney's, or what passes for chili in Cincinnati. A taste you might find on the West Coast or even Texas. Also, they don't overload it, just the right amount so it doesn't kill the dog and it keeps the slop factor in check. The add-on's appear to be top quality ingredients.

The ONLY thing I might change (and it's a minor nit, and would simply be the cherry on the cake) would be if they could smuggle in some legendary Bertman's Ballpark mustard from Cleveland.

Well done men... like I needed another vice.

We ate at Thai Cuisine on Sunday, the new place next to San Chez on Fulton between Ionia and Commerce.

I had a Masaman curry that was really quite good. The medium there is not as hot as the medium at Erb Thai, but still enough to get me by. I'll ask for medium+ next time. The food itself was really good. Everything seemed quite fresh and the fried tofu I had was great! Really good texture and flavor for tofu.

The atmosphere in there is interesting, because it's a really big space and only about 20% of the tables were occupied. The bar is not in use and has a big water feature as well. The service was really fantastic, and I'd definitely go again. Glad to have so many choices for thai food within easy biking distance. It used to be that the nearest thai options were 28th St or Alpine & 4-mile. I hope this one stays around for awhile. That space hasn't had a tenant make it work for a long time, yet.

On another note...does anyone know if My Kitchen & Bar has closed? They weren't open on Sunday afternoon and I would think that would be prime time for football crowds and there were also still a ton of people wandering for the last day of ArtPrize.

EDIT: My wife informs me that the hours on the door said they were closed on Sunday. Ooops. I guess they weren't getting enough Sunday traffic? And I should pay more attention.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere yet, so a big thumbs up to Cajun Cat from me. It's on Remembrance just off Leonard. The location is terrible, but the food is good. It's a good cheap dive. The owner is very friendly as well.

Thanks for the tip, I made it there just in time. This location is closing Dec 22 and they will be re-opening in the spring at a yet to be determined address. It sounds like there were more people wanting to eat in than they could handle and a bigger place is needed. That should tell you something right there. The owner said to keep an eye on Facebook.

The catfish was good and spicy and the gumbo was excellent. The whole experience was kinda melancholy though since my first visit was a week before they close.

Thanks for the tip, I made it there just in time. This location is closing Dec 22 and they will be re-opening in the spring at a yet to be determined address. It sounds like there were more people wanting to eat in than they could handle and a bigger place is needed. That should tell you something right there. The owner said to keep an eye on Facebook.

The catfish was good and spicy and the gumbo was excellent. The whole experience was kinda melancholy though since my first visit was a week before they close.

Hmm. I've always gone for relatively late lunches so it was largely empty. I'm sure during the rushes there was probably no space, but I believe the location was pretty bad for business overall. If he moves somewhere with a bit more people he should do well.

Went to Twisted Rooster for the first time. It was packed on a Tuesday night, possibly due in part to a feature we heard ran on Fox 17.

Overall I liked the vibe of the place. The wait staff were maybe trying for "hip" a little too hard, but for the most part pulled it off. Beer selection was excellent, with features from Arcadia and Dark Horse, as well as a bunch of choices from Founders.

The highlight of the meal was definitely the Twisted House Salad. Dried cherries, bleu cheese, strawberries, fantastic greens, and a great vinaigrette made for the best salad in recent memory. And who knew that croutons made from raisin bread would be so delicious? Will definitely have that when I go back.

The fish and chips I had was pretty good, but not really outstanding. Amy had the Twisted Mac and Cheese. It was also good, but maybe not up to the high standard set by The Green Well. I think they use the same kind of spirally pasta. I did like the crusted parmesan?? "slice" that came with it.

Will go back someday if we're in the neighborhood, but the location isn't really very convenient for us (or anyone, really) to bike or walk to.

Went to Twisted Rooster for the first time. It was packed on a Tuesday night, possibly due in part to a feature we heard ran on Fox 17.

Overall I liked the vibe of the place. The wait staff were maybe trying for "hip" a little too hard, but for the most part pulled it off. Beer selection was excellent, with features from Arcadia and Dark Horse, as well as a bunch of choices from Founders.

The highlight of the meal was definitely the Twisted House Salad. Dried cherries, bleu cheese, strawberries, fantastic greens, and a great vinaigrette made for the best salad in recent memory. And who knew that croutons made from raisin bread would be so delicious? Will definitely have that when I go back.

The fish and chips I had was pretty good, but not really outstanding. Amy had the Twisted Mac and Cheese. It was also good, but maybe not up to the high standard set by The Green Well. I think they use the same kind of spirally pasta. I did like the crusted parmesan?? "slice" that came with it.

Will go back someday if we're in the neighborhood, but the location isn't really very convenient for us (or anyone, really) to bike or walk to.

Twisted Rooster has quickly become the only place my parents want to go to when they're in town. They weren't too fond of the Electric Cheetah and are now not so adventurous. I pass Twisted Rooster quite often and it's always got a bunch of cars parked in its lot. FWIW the Byron Center-sourced bison burger is better than any similar item I've ever sampled out West.

Has anyone ventured out to Brewery Vivant yet? I've seen very few reactions to the place - but from the article on Mlive, it looks like an cool setting to drink Belgium beer.I wonder if they are going to have some Pommes Frites on the menu.... mmmmmm.

I'm making sure it's one of my first stops the next time I'm home.

I'm curious to know what their plans are on distributing & retailing their beer, if at all. Their website says they will eventually.

Has anyone ventured out to Brewery Vivant yet? I've seen very few reactions to the place - but from the article on Mlive, it looks like an cool setting to drink Belgium beer.I wonder if they are going to have some Pommes Frites on the menu.... mmmmmm.

I haven't made it over, but photos I saw from the first few days, it was always packed. And we've walked by the parking lot a number of times since...also packed.

I need to get there on Sunday or Monday. I'll try to post some kind of review.

From what I've read, I think it is somewhere in the April timeframe, and it sounds like they don't have aspirations to get big, so it sounds like distribution will be pretty limited. One article said they already had two distributors (GR and Kalamazoo) lined up.

Haven't been there either. Can't wait to try it.

Joe

I'm making sure it's one of my first stops the next time I'm home.

I'm curious to know what their plans are on distributing & retailing their beer, if at all. Their website says they will eventually.

Twisted Rooster has quickly become the only place my parents want to go to when they're in town. They weren't too fond of the Electric Cheetah and are now not so adventurous. I pass Twisted Rooster quite often and it's always got a bunch of cars parked in its lot. FWIW the Byron Center-sourced bison burger is better than any similar item I've ever sampled out West.

I think Twisted Rooster is awful, personally. We've been there a couple of times, as we try to support locally owned restaurants over chains. But it disappoints every time.

In looking at the menu, it seems like everything is either deep fried or covered in their "twisted" sauce, which to me is not very tasty. It really feels like a "local" version of TGIFridays. And I can see if there are people who don't like to be adventurous when they eat, and would be perfectly happy with spicy ribs from Applebees (which there are a lot of people, I know), Twisted Rooster is a good alternative. But the 3 or 4 times we've gone, I find it extremely difficult to find anything on the menu that looks good. Contrast that with Green Well, where I can't decide what to eat because it all sounds (and is) fabulous.

The only time I've been happy is asking for the Bryon Center Bison burger with no sauce, just lettuce and tomato. That was OK.

To top it all off, they're expensive.

I'd pick Blue Water Grill, Green Well, Electric Cheetah, or even Mangiamo over TR.

I think Twisted Rooster is awful, personally. We've been there a couple of times, as we try to support locally owned restaurants over chains. But it disappoints every time.

In looking at the menu, it seems like everything is either deep fried or covered in their "twisted" sauce, which to me is not very tasty. It really feels like a "local" version of TGIFridays. And I can see if there are people who don't like to be adventurous when they eat, and would be perfectly happy with spicy ribs from Applebees (which there are a lot of people, I know), Twisted Rooster is a good alternative. But the 3 or 4 times we've gone, I find it extremely difficult to find anything on the menu that looks good. Contrast that with Green Well, where I can't decide what to eat because it all sounds (and is) fabulous.

The only time I've been happy is asking for the Bryon Center Bison burger with no sauce, just lettuce and tomato. That was OK.

To top it all off, they're expensive.

I'd pick Blue Water Grill, Green Well, Electric Cheetah, or even Mangiamo over TR.

Yeah, I admit, the Rooster is terrible. Its like they tried to make ip SO different from other places, making it the exact SAME as places like Friday's, Ruby Tuesday's, Applesleaze, etc. I flash to the scene in Office Space where the little annoying waiter, full of flair, is pitching their jalapeno poppers, pizza shooters , and Extreme fajitas.

I think the best places for a true foodie to eat in our city are The Green Well, San Chez, Zeytin, Bull's Head Tavern, and Bistro Bella Vita. I love to support local business, but I can't believe how subpar my food was and how much it cost me. Maybe I would have liked it better if the bill was $30 and not $60.

Hmmmm, I rarely do this but.....I'll have to disagree with you. I haven't found a bad thing on the menu. We go there often and have enjoyed their food and service. I do like Green Well (obviously) but I think TR is a good second spot.

Another disagreement is Blue Water. Won't step foot in there ever again. Not a fan of any of Gilmore's restaurants, especially this one. Crappy service, mediocre food, and a horrible wine selection.

Guess we'll have to agree to disagree on this one.

Hmmmm, I rarely do this but.....I'll have to disagree with you. I haven't found a bad thing on the menu. We go there often and have enjoyed their food and service. I do like Green Well (obviously) but I think TR is a good second spot.

Another disagreement is Blue Water. Won't step foot in there ever again. Not a fan of any of Gilmore's restaurants, especially this one. Crappy service, mediocre food, and a horrible wine selection.

Guess we'll have to agree to disagree on this one.

We always have good service at Blue Water, and the food is really good (they have a different menu and chef than the other Gilmore places).

• 1 month later...

I haven't made it over, but photos I saw from the first few days, it was always packed. And we've walked by the parking lot a number of times since...also packed.

I need to get there on Sunday or Monday. I'll try to post some kind of review.

Has anyone made it there yet? I read a pretty good review on mlive. I am interested to see the popularity of the Belgian styles as opposed to the British/American offerings around town. Hopefully Grand Rapids will become a beer tourist destination.

Has anyone made it there yet? I read a pretty good review on mlive. I am interested to see the popularity of the Belgian styles as opposed to the British/American offerings around town. Hopefully Grand Rapids will become a beer tourist destination.

I've now been there twice, once for drinks, and once for dinner with Amy. I think the interior still lacks a certain something. It's possible it just needs some time. They will get more decorations on the walls and the place won't look so new.

The beer is really great! Everything I had was very good. I was going to start listing my favorites, but then I realized I was going to put 4 of the 6 beers they had when I was there on my list.

The garlic fries are really good. They come with an aoili dipping sauce, kind of like mayo with seasoning. I like it a lot. We split the $12 burger. It was really good. $12 good? Ehhh, not really sure. I might get it again.

The biggest complaint I've heard is that the food prices are too high for the atmosphere. I can see where that complaint comes from. It's pretty loud in there when it is crowded. In the main part, they have long tables, all grouped together. You can certainly meet new people that way. :) We sat in a booth.

Also, we are already well on our way to becoming a beer destination. Based on the buzz I've seen on some social networking sites, and word of mouth, I would bet at least a couple hundred or more out of towners will show up for the Kentucky Breakfast Stout release on March 12 (http://www.foundersb...s-release-party). I've heard the line starts forming well before 11am, when the start selling up to 1 case/person for $114 per case.

Check out this Canada.com piece recommending Canadians visit Michigan for the beer. GR is prominently featured, with mentions for Founder's (home of the 4th best beer in the world, Canadian Breakfast Stout, as ranked by beer lovers at BeerAdvocate.com) and Frederik Meijer Gardens. http://www.canada.co...6005/story.html

The Winter Beer Festival on 2/26 in Comstock Park also sold out in record time this year, at least 3 weeks before the actual event. I read on Twitter of people driving across the state to go to breweries that still had tickets available, because the online ones had sold out.

I've been there a few times with guys from the neighborhood (Julie hasn't been as a brewery isn't that fun when you're pregnant =) and really liked it. I agree with everything in your review - the walls need some color or something - feels unfinished. Very stark. I also agree that it's got the price and food of a nice dinner out, but it's too loud and bright for a nice, quiet dinner that I would prefer when taking my wife out.

I do love it though, despite those issues - the fries and drinks were great!

I've been to Brewery Vivant a couple of times now. I really like the beer, and I actually like the atmosphere a little better than Founders pub. It is a bit stark in the decorations department though. I suggested to someone I know who works there (ahem) that they hang tapestries/flags bearing family crests of those who helped found that Cherry Street area back in the late 1800's (or just their logo). Make it look like an old castle or belgian hall:

casaLoma-mainHall.JPG

I've been to Brewery Vivant a couple of times now. I really like the beer, and I actually like the atmosphere a little better than Founders pub. It is a bit stark in the decorations department though. I suggested to someone I know who works there (ahem) that they hang tapestries/flags bearing family crests of those who helped found that Cherry Street area back in the late 1800's (or just their logo). Make it look like an old castle or belgian hall:

casaLoma-mainHall.JPG

Right on.

Went there for the first time this past Saturday. We attempted to go for dinner, but the place was PAAAAAAAAAAACKED! That's a good sign. :) We walked over to Green Well to eat, then went back for beers. Fantastic brews. My wife was gathering information for a paper for a class @ GVSU. Everyone she talked to was VERY helpful and forthcoming with information about the Vivant. I can't wait to go back for a meal.

Archived