Photos De Jour - Grand Rapids and West Michigan Area

GRDadof3

Off the exit, head west on Lake Michigan Dr to Graham Rd. (First street off of Lake Michigan on the right)Head north on Graham to Bridge. Turn east on Bridge to Sunset Ave (on the right). It's been about fifteen years since I was on that street, so I'm not sure how good the view is from there now. It's probably the closest street with the highest vantage point overlooking the Ford Fwy.

Thanks...I'll be sure to check it out!

I was just there last weekend. It's still a very good spot to photograph the skyline. You have to go all the way down to the dead end, but at that spot, you can see how it is most likely heavily used by photographers since the fence is all bent out of shape. There's a private residence that you have to be mindful of as well.

I got in on the rumor mill recently. Thanks for letting me sit at the "cool table". :shades:

I love the sidewalk design on Monroe.

I was wondering if you could let me in on one more secret...What does "Justice and Monroe" mean on the building at the corner of Monroe Center and Ottawa? I've always wondered about that but forgot to ask.

I got in on the rumor mill recently. Thanks for letting me sit at the "cool table". :shades:

I love the sidewalk design on Monroe.

I was wondering if you could let me in on one more secret...What does "Justice and Monroe" mean on the building at the corner of Monroe Center and Ottawa? I've always wondered about that but forgot to ask.

Many years ago, the 2 streets that form the corner where the building is were called Justice and Monroe. At least that is the explanation DP Fox, the buildings owner, gave the GR press.

Many years ago, the 2 streets that form the corner where the building is were called Justice and Monroe. At least that is the explanation DP Fox, the buildings owner, gave the GR press.

I think, if I'm not mistaken, that Monroe Center used to be called Monroe, and Monroe used to be called Justice, didn't it? I'm not sure about that, though ...

There's a plaque on the East side of the building explaining its history. Maybe dbrok or someone else working downtown can snap a picture of it. :P

Look closely and you can make out "Justice" in place of Ottawa. According to this map, at one point Ottawa Ave only travelled between Bridge and Lyon. Between Lyon and Pearl there was no road. Justice started up at Pearl followed the elbow, and connected up at Fulton Street. When they finally punched a road between Pearl and Lyon, they must of renamed the entire stretch Ottawa to avoid confusion.

1836plat.jpg

Look at how much the river was re-engineered with the dams. The new Marriott could of been sitting on it's own island!

Edited by GRGyp

...where all the secrets will be revealed. Dateline - May 3rd, 2006, 2 - 4:30 PM. Somewhere between Division, Michigan, Fulton and Pearl.

139935444_a34dc3f78e.jpg

139935445_c8abc2e6c5.jpg

I gotta find Sam some better umbrellas.

Any retail browsers seeing anything with green, esp with palm trees, please advise.

(I found him the palm tree welcome mat, the palm tree stained glass candle holders, the small chalkboard, the wicker napkin basket...)

Edited by Veloise

I gotta find Sam some better umbrellas.

Any retail browsers seeing anything with green, esp with palm trees, please advise.

(I found him the palm tree welcome mat, the palm tree stained glass candle holders, the small chalkboard, the wicker napkin basket...)

I love the umbrellas. Very Venice! Fantistico, Bellisimo!! :shades:

Justice started up at Pearl followed the elbow, and connected up at Fulton Street. When they finally punched a road between Pearl and Lyon, they must of renamed the entire stretch Ottawa to avoid confusion.

That explains why the Waters Building block does not sit exactly square, due to Justice and Ottawa not lining up. You can really notice it in this picture.

139936261_0c1fe10913.jpg

:lol: For once it wasn't me.

Oh I didn't think so, but I thought it was funny that I see someone snapping photos everytime im downtown. It was kind of funny to see him try to take phots with what looked like a bunch of school kids on field trip were crossing Ionia :P

Oh I didn't think so, but I thought it was funny that I see someone snapping photos everytime im downtown. It was kind of funny to see him try to take phots with what looked like a bunch of school kids on field trip were crossing Ionia :P

That was not me either, I swear. :lol: