Should NW Arkansas build a Western Bypass or Widen 1-540?

NW Arkansas build a Western Bypass or Widen 1-540?  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Which do you think is the best option for NWA?

• Yes
    • No
    • Neither

The Western Bypass has been in the news up here a lot lately, so I thought it would be a good idea to ask, If it is better just to widen 1-540 to 4 lanes, or make a Western Bypass that would start in Greenland, loop near the Northwest Arkansas Regional Airport and come up to the Bella Vista Bypass?

I know this seems to apply on to NWA forumers, but it effects everyone else in their highway spending in the future, so I'd like to see everyone's opinions.

For me, the choice is simple, widen I-540 to 3 and 4 lanes. A western Bypass to me would just make growth spread out even more in NW Arkansas. Also, it might be cheaper on taxpayers to widen the existing Interstate. Plus, I don't think traffic up here is bad enough to make another Interstate.

FOR EVERYONE, I MESSED UP THE POLL BY ACCIDENT :D

THE CHOICES ARE SUPPOSED TO BE

WIDEN 1-540

BUILD A WESTERN BYPASS

NEITHER

SORRY!!!

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Western Bypass has been in the news up here a lot lately, so I thought it would be a good idea to ask, If it is better just to widen 1-540 to 4 lanes, or make a Western Bypass that would start in Greenland, loop near the Northwest Arkansas Regional Airport and come up to the Bella Vista Bypass?

I know this seems to apply on to NWA forumers, but it effects everyone else in their highway spending in the future, so I'd like to see everyone's opinions.

For me, the choice is simple, widen I-540 to 3 and 4 lanes. A western Bypass to me would just make growth spread out even more in NW Arkansas. Also, it might be cheaper on taxpayers to widen the existing Interstate. Plus, I don't think traffic up here is bad enough to make another Interstate.

FOR EVERYONE, I MESSED UP THE POLL BY ACCIDENT :D

THE CHOICES ARE SUPPOSED TO BE

WIDEN 1-540

BUILD A WESTERN BYPASS

NEITHER

SORRY!!!

Whatever is the cheapest.

To me, the I-540 widening would be the cheapest because for the western bypass, it would cost an atrocious amount to get right of way for land, and then build a new interstate.

True but real estate is more expensive near I-540 though. I still think it makes more sense to widen I-540 than build a whole new bypass. Although after I looked at those maps I found a western bypass doesn't seem as bad to me as it did orginally. You'd basically just be taking is straight south from where it curves around the western section of Bella Vista. I'd say widen I-540 then argue about what to do in the future, build a western bypass or a eastern parkway.

True but real estate is more expensive near I-540 though. I still think it makes more sense to widen I-540 than build a whole new bypass. Although after I looked at those maps I found a western bypass doesn't seem as bad to me as it did orginally. You'd basically just be taking is straight south from where it curves around the western section of Bella Vista. I'd say widen I-540 then argue about what to do in the future, build a western bypass or a eastern parkway.

We would still loose a lot of density though.

We would still loose a lot of density though.

True, but at one point we still will probably have to look into another major road aside from I-540. Especially with our modern car culture. But I'd still say widen I-540 in the near future and then take a closer look at the other options further down the line. But I do really think widening I-540 should take first priority. I wish there weren't so many people so scared of a 6 or 8 lane highway. But I guess most people in the area are still thinking in more surburb type mode. I don't think there are a large number of people who are looking for more density and such at the moment. Hopefully this will change in time.

True, but at one point we still will probably have to look into another major road aside from I-540. Especially with our modern car culture. But I'd still say widen I-540 in the near future and then take a closer look at the other options further down the line. But I do really think widening I-540 should take first priority. I wish there weren't so many people so scared of a 6 or 8 lane highway. But I guess most people in the area are still thinking in more surburb type mode. I don't think there are a large number of people who are looking for more density and such at the moment. Hopefully this will change in time.

I hope so to.

It would just have a more urban feel in the area with the Interstate being 8 lanes total. And with the Bella Vista Bypass and the Springdale Bypass, we will definately feel a lot more urban in 10 years.

I hope so to.

It would just have a more urban feel in the area with the Interstate being 8 lanes total. And with the Bella Vista Bypass and the Springdale Bypass, we will definately feel a lot more urban in 10 years.

Yeah if any of these projects are done or even started by then. :lol: Arkansas isn't known for getting road projects done in a decent amount of time.

Yeah if any of these projects are done or even started by then. :lol: Arkansas isn't known for getting road projects done in a decent amount of time.

That's true.

But it looks like the Bella Vista Bypass is going to get started on soon, and the Springdale Bypass is probably about 3 or so years away from construction.

That's true.

But it looks like the Bella Vista Bypass is going to get started on soon, and the Springdale Bypass is probably about 3 or so years away from construction.

I'm not so sure about the Springdale 412 bypass. I think if there isn't enough immediate support to help get it going it could possibly be longer. And I would imagine they'll have to do it in stages. They might have to do the western part and maybe do the eastern part quite a while later.

I'm not so sure about the Springdale 412 bypass. I think if there isn't enough immediate support to help get it going it could possibly be longer. And I would imagine they'll have to do it in stages. They might have to do the western part and maybe do the eastern part quite a while later.

I think there was something in the news about the western bypass, about how they wanted to start construction on it or something. I'm sure it will be built a lot sooner than the eastern portion because of higher traffic counts, and the fact that they want that road to connect to the XNA access road.

I think there was something in the news about the western bypass, about how they wanted to start construction on it or something. I'm sure it will be built a lot sooner than the eastern portion because of higher traffic counts, and the fact that they want that road to connect to the XNA access road.

I heard there's money for it now, but people would have to support it and also put off a number of smaller projects scattered around northwest Arkansas. I'm not so sure if people are going to give up support of a smaller local project to support something like the western part of the 412 bypass which won't be near a lot of people who live in northwest Arkansas. That's not to say it won't get done but I think if there's not enough support for it, it will get pushed back further to some other time in the future.

I would rather the money be spent on projects like Perry Road Interchange, Arkansas 102 Improvements, and the 8th street improvements up here in Benton County.

I don't even think 412 is that busy, it's just that I would like it to be built so we have an interstate deal out to the airport. Growth at the airport would be phenominal if there was an access road out there. Hotels, Restaurants, and such would be everywhere.

They won't need to acquire more land to do it, there is plenty of land for widening. A 6-lane widening with improvement of key interchanges should be job one in NWA.

Job two should be a vast upgrade to the bus network. The current system dates to the pre-boom days and can easily be expanded. I think Hispanic ridership would be solid and able to sustain a lot of routes and you could create transportation plazas in Bentonville, Rogers, Springdale, and Fayetteville with buses connecting them and then some buses serving each town individually and a few linking to neighboring towns.

They won't need to acquire more land to do it, there is plenty of land for widening. A 6-lane widening with improvement of key interchanges should be job one in NWA.

Job two should be a vast upgrade to the bus network. The current system dates to the pre-boom days and can easily be expanded. I think Hispanic ridership would be solid and able to sustain a lot of routes and you could create transportation plazas in Bentonville, Rogers, Springdale, and Fayetteville with buses connecting them and then some buses serving each town individually and a few linking to neighboring towns.

This is a point that you and Matt have raised. While there have been a few minor upgrades in the bus system it's going to take a lot more than that to make it a more efficient bus service.

This is a point that you and Matt have raised. While there have been a few minor upgrades in the bus system it's going to take a lot more than that to make it a more efficient bus service.

Bus routes should be one of the top priorities of NWA. Fayetteville is really the only city with a true bus system, but routes are coming along in all the other cities. I think we would have a lot higher ridership if more businesses supported the idea and allowed their workers to ride on it. I think public service announcements should be made on some of the hispanic radio stations about the bus system and what it has to offer.

Bus routes should be one of the top priorities of NWA. Fayetteville is really the only city with a true bus system, but routes are coming along in all the other cities. I think we would have a lot higher ridership if more businesses supported the idea and allowed their workers to ride on it. I think public service announcements should be made on some of the hispanic radio stations about the bus system and what it has to offer.

I have wondered a bit about the bus system in the rest of northwest Arkansas. Even if Fayetteville's bus system is better than others in northwest Arkansas there's still room for improvement. I'm pretty sure there are areas of the city that aren't being serviced as well as they could by the bus system. I've noticed the Ozark Regional Transit running a lot the past couple of times I parked across the street from the Walton Art Center.

I have wondered a bit about the bus system in the rest of northwest Arkansas. Even if Fayetteville's bus system is better than others in northwest Arkansas there's still room for improvement. I'm pretty sure there are areas of the city that aren't being serviced as well as they could by the bus system. I've noticed the Ozark Regional Transit running a lot the past couple of times I parked across the street from the Walton Art Center.

Ozark Regional Transit has been running alot around walnut street these past few days. Although ridership is down in Rogers, what they need to institute is benches and waiting areas so people are more aware of the service. It's a great thing that I'm afraid if ridership doesn't get high enough, the local goverments may not support it. Also, more public service announcements on radio in both spanish and english need to be made. As well as billboards and advertisements.

Ozark Regional Transit has been running alot around walnut street these past few days. Although ridership is down in Rogers, what they need to institute is benches and waiting areas so people are more aware of the service. It's a great thing that I'm afraid if ridership doesn't get high enough, the local goverments may not support it. Also, more public service announcements on radio in both spanish and english need to be made. As well as billboards and advertisements.

Good point. The only benches and sheltered bench areas I know of are along some of the Razorback Transit areas. I don't know if local governments will stop supporting it but I wonder sometimes if they take it seriously enough. Billboards won't work here in Fayetteville because we don't have any. But yes some more advertisements or even brochures announcing where they run would be nice.

Good point. The only benches and sheltered bench areas I know of are along some of the Razorback Transit areas. I don't know if local governments will stop supporting it but I wonder sometimes if they take it seriously enough. Billboards won't work here in Fayetteville because we don't have any. But yes some more advertisements or even brochures announcing where they run would be nice.

There's no billboards in Rogers that I know of, but Bentonville has some, and I think Springdale does as well. They need sheletered bench area's around entertainment districts, shopping centers, parks, and heavy residential areas. I know it would be a hit if more people knew about it. People who move here from big cities in California, Midwest, etc, are used to associating busses with benches and stuff. If they don't see any of these, then the probably think there's no bus system.

There's no billboards in Rogers that I know of, but Bentonville has some, and I think Springdale does as well. They need sheletered bench area's around entertainment districts, shopping centers, parks, and heavy residential areas. I know it would be a hit if more people knew about it. People who move here from big cities in California, Midwest, etc, are used to associating busses with benches and stuff. If they don't see any of these, then the probably think there's no bus system.

You have a good point. Even though there are some benches and even sheltered benches along some of the Razorback Transit routes a lot more are needed. I didn't realize Rogers didn't allow billboards either like Fayetteville. And I do know Springdale allows them. If anyone can't get something approved in one of the other cities in northwest Arkansas, Springdale is the place they tend to go because they tend to allow just about anything.

You have a good point. Even though there are some benches and even sheltered benches along some of the Razorback Transit routes a lot more are needed. I didn't realize Rogers didn't allow billboards either like Fayetteville. And I do know Springdale allows them. If anyone can't get something approved in one of the other cities in northwest Arkansas, Springdale is the place they tend to go because they tend to allow just about anything.

That's true.

All of these ideas would certainly get a regionwide bus service going. It would also help our chances at a Light Rail system.

• 10 months later...

Archived