Growth and it's results in Northwest Arkansas.

Mith242

Everything you said Fayetteville used to be sounds like every other RURAL place in America. Here's my response to your response.

I had to respond to this post.

I lived in and went to school in Fayetteville prior to the completion of I-540 and XNA, and prior to much of the growth thats happened in the past ten years. If anything, the growth is not bringing a distinct culture, but rather overrunning the culture that existed previously.

Fayetteville, sadly, is losing much of what made it a great place to live. There used to be so many great little local restaurants, many of which have not been able to hold on with the influx of chains and franchises.

What's so great about the little local restaurants when you had no other options?

That kills the local culture.

That enriches local culture.

Many small shops that catered to a local culture, music stores with local bands works for sale, no longer exist.

That has nothing to do with the area's growth... that has to do with a loss of interest in local music.

Fayetteville and NWA used to be a mix of midwestern influences with southern. It also used to be almost completely homogenously Caucasian.

That's called progress... racism is being replaced by ethnic diversity.

Springdale used to be a little farm town, probably 95% white, and the whole town was nuts about their rodeo.

I repeat... that's called progress... racism is being replaced by ethnic diversity. And The Rodeo of the Ozarks doesn't seem to be suffering from the area's growth.

Go to Dickson St. today and although there are chains moving in, turning it into every other place in America, you can still hear roots music, bluegrass influenced alt country, Ozark mountain traditional music. Thats the real local culture.

That sounds like progress to me.

To say that NWA has "no culture" and that hopefully all of these newcomers will bring "some culture" is, in my opinion, the exact opposite of what is happening in NWA.

The newcomers bring a diversity of cultures, but NWA will end up like every other place in the US without a dominant culture. There's nothing unique at all about that.

What you call "unique" I call "exclusive" in a most negative and unsavory way.

Northwest Arkansas has never been well known for it's distinct culture but more known for it's Historic Sites, Outdoor Recreation, University and Friendly, Relaxed Atmosphere (still friendlier than most big cities). NWA is not New Orleans where all they have is their musical culture and Cajun cuisine. Adding ethnic diversity and cultural enrichment to NWA's already unique features is advancement. What's so bad about a Rural area trying to become an Urban area so it's residents can enjoy some of the lifestyle that those people in the big cities seem to enjoy so much?

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Everything you said Fayetteville used to be sounds like every other RURAL place in America. Here's my response to your response.

Northwest Arkansas has never been well known for it's distinct culture but more known for it's Historic Sites, Outdoor Recreation, University and Friendly, Relaxed Atmosphere (still friendlier than most big cities). NWA is not New Orleans where all they have is their musical culture and Cajun cuisine. Adding ethnic diversity and cultural enrichment to NWA's already unique features is advancement. What's so bad about a Rural area trying to become an Urban area so it's residents can enjoy some of the lifestyle that those people in the big cities seem to enjoy so much?

What's so great about the little local restaurants when you had no other options?

That enriches local culture.

Great. We're getting a TGIFridays. Thats cultural enrichment.

That has nothing to do with the area's growth... that has to do with a loss of interest in local music.

It has everything to do with the area's growth and national retailers pushing out local retailers which gave Fayetteville its personality. The smaller stores could not compete with the larger retailers. The larger retailers aren't interested in fostering the local scene, just the bottom line.

Fayetteville and NWA used to be a mix of midwestern influences with southern. It also used to be almost completely homogenously Caucasian.That's called progress... racism is being replaced by ethnic diversity.

If an area is predominantly European/Caucasian, its racist? Is Qatar racist because its predominantly Arab/Muslim? Your logic is very off base here. I simply stated a fact about the prevailing culture prior to all the growth.

Springdale used to be a little farm town, probably 95% white, and the whole town was nuts about their rodeo.I repeat... that's called progress... racism is being replaced by ethnic diversity. Again, you automatically consider a place predominantly Caucasian to be the product of racism. I believe you may be the one with a problem of racism. If a predominantly black community was replaced by various other ethnic groups, would you call that "progress"? Evaluate what you are saying.

Go to Dickson St. today and although there are chains moving in, turning it into every other place in America.That sounds like progress to me.

The McDonaldizing of a unique, historic district sounds like progress to you? You and I have very different views of both progress and "culture".

To say that NWA has "no culture" and that hopefully all of these newcomers will bring "some culture" is, in my opinion, the exact opposite of what is happening in NWA.

The newcomers bring a diversity of cultures, but NWA will end up like every other place in the US without a dominant culture. There's nothing unique at all about that.What you call "unique" I call "exclusive" in a most negative and unsavory way.

Again, you equate "having" culture with "multicultural". They aren't the same thing. Multicultural may be your preference, but to say that a place "has no culture" as you said, simply because it isn't very "multicultural" is erroneous. Do China and Japan lack culture? Neither is multicultural, so by your assumption, they have "no culture".

NWA had a local cultural and heritage prior to the growth.

Whether you see the changing of that as "progress" or not depends on your own personal taste and your view of the world.

I think maybe we need to distinguish different meanings for the word culture. Yes there is a local culture here. But most people I know that use the word culture are referring more to aspects like art galleries, museums, performing arts. Although I'm sure not everyone may be talking about stuff so 'high-brow'. I personally want a middle way. I really do like the local restaurants and such. But I'm not opposed to having some chains come in either. I guess I'd like to have a mixture and not have one group dominate the other. But as far as ethnic diversity goes, I think you have to expect a number of people outside the area to come in or you're just not going to get it. But of course this also means you have more people from outside the area whose culture is different from the ones who have lived here. I'd like to hold on to what local culture there is but realize that some might be lost ifor growth and progress.

I think maybe we need to distinguish different meanings for the word culture. Yes there is a local culture here. But most people I know that use the word culture are referring more to aspects like art galleries, museums, performing arts. Although I'm sure not everyone may be talking about stuff so 'high-brow'. I personally want a middle way. I really do like the local restaurants and such. But I'm not opposed to having some chains come in either. I guess I'd like to have a mixture and not have one group dominate the other. But as far as ethnic diversity goes, I think you have to expect a number of people outside the area to come in or you're just not going to get it. But of course this also means you have more people from outside the area whose culture is different from the ones who have lived here. I'd like to hold on to what local culture there is but realize that some might be lost ifor growth and progress.

I think maybe you are correct.

A great example of what I was talking about is found right where I currently live.

I live in a small suburb of Dallas. Its one of the latest to experience the rapid growth of the fringe suburbs of the metroplex.

The demographic percentages have remained faily consistent I'd say over the past twenty years. That means there are about the same percentae of whites, blacks and hispanics here that there always have been. The culture, however, is fading and changing. The progress here is economic, but culturally, this town is losing its heritage.

Like many other small NE Texas towns, this town has a small downtown with a squaredance hall and an "opry". I'm not sure of the meaning of the word "opry" but think "Grand Ole Opry", with the variety shows and country and folk music and you get the picture.

For generations, the people of this town have supported the dance hall and the "opry". Local music, country music, the music of people who settled and farmed Northern Texas, has been a staple of the local heritage forever. Newcomers, myself included to a degree, do not appreciate this heritage or support it. Nor do we contribute to it. We have a Home Depot. Progress. We have a Wal-Mart. Progress. We have a Chili's. Progress.

The point is, economic progress comes often at the expense of the local culture and heritage. Local diners are driven out because of rising property costs and larger, more established chains take over who can absorb the higher taxes and property costs.

As a person who has been virtually EVERYWHERE in this country, and a person who lived in Fayetteville and knew and loved its local "scene" and culture, I took offense that anyone would make the assumption that NWA had "no" culture, and I may have misinterpreted the original poster's intent.

Fayetteville is one of the most unique little towns I have ever been to. Its culture is a mix of Berkely/Boulder, Mayberry, and Dogpatch. Its unique. I use the term "hippy-billy" to refer to many of the colorful locals I know. Its progressive without being pretentious. Its eco-friendly without being snobbish. Its a great unique little city.

And some of what makes it great slips away everytime a fast casual, pre-fab pseudo-singles bar/family restaurant opens its doors. I know personally of a bar that catered to local, live music that had to shut its doors to be replaced by a cheaper, mass-production entertainment type bar because the property taxes and values increased and the landlord raised the rent. Out went the local musicians, in came the cover bands and theme parties. There are many more examples of this transition from unique (mason's dad would say exclusive) one of a kind shop/bar/restaurant/culture to everytown, everyplace, McTacoBellTGIFAppleRuckers tract home land that can be found in any town in the USA...type culture.

Thats all I was trying to say.

I think we just have to find a way to save what we can and still allow growth and progress. Hopefully people will appreciate the things we do have now and not later when it's too late. I've mentioned before about really wanting to have a nice Smithsonian affiliated museum. But to be honest I haven't taken full advantage of what smaller local museums we have already. Although I am working on that now. I wonder if we got a nice big museum like that if it would be the deathnail for some of these smaller museums. Hopefully there will be a middle way to allow for both.

Great. We're getting a TGIFridays. Thats cultural enrichment.

There are a great many national restaurants and clubs moving to this area. NWA is not going to stay rural for long... we're going urban, baby!

It has everything to do with the area's growth and national retailers pushing out local retailers which gave Fayetteville its personality. The smaller stores could not compete with the larger retailers. The larger retailers aren't interested in fostering the local scene, just the bottom line.

Can you name some of these local retailers and large retailers that have pushed them out? Other than Clunk Records I wasn't aware of any local records shops and I'm not aware of any big record stores that have moved into the area.

If an area is predominantly European/Caucasian, its racist? Is Qatar racist because its predominantly Arab/Muslim? Your logic is very off base here. I simply stated a fact about the prevailing culture prior to all the growth.

I was referring to your literally racist statements. You said Fayetteville and Springdale used to be predominantly "white" so they were culturally better before "non-whites" moved here. What does an area becoming more ethnicly diverse have to do with losing it's culture?

New Orleans was predominantly European Caucasion as it was in a "Slave State" before the Civil War. Do you think New Orleans lost it's culture after the Civil War due to the influx of African Americans? New Orleans is today best known for it's Jazz music. But there is still a strong presence of Cajun, Creole and Zydeco music to be found in New Orleans. So has New Orleans lost it's culture or has it become more ethnically diverse?

You said Springdale was probably 95% white, and the whole town was nuts about their rodeo. The first cowboys in the United States were Mexican, or Spanish Vaqueros. The word "rodeo" is spanish for "cattle ring". Todays "cowboys" may not be predominantly Mexican anymore but rodeo's roots lie in Mexico. So why would a city that's 95% Caucasian lose it's rodeo culture because of the influx of Mexicans?

So who should evaluate what they are saying?

The McDonaldizing of a unique, historic district sounds like progress to you? You and I have very different views of both progress and "culture".

What you call "McDonaldizing of a unique, historic district", I call modernization. It comes with growth. If you want to find an untainted historic district go somewhere that hasn't grown for over a hundred years.

Again, you equate "having" culture with "multicultural". They aren't the same thing. Multicultural may be your preference, but to say that a place "has no culture" as you said, simply because it isn't very "multicultural" is erroneous. Do China and Japan lack culture? Neither is multicultural, so by your assumption, they have "no culture".

Got the wrong guy, pal. By the way, Japan has McDonald's and they love it.

NWA had a local cultural and heritage prior to the growth.

You can still find much of that local cultural heritage in it's Farmer's Markets, Historic Buildings, Civil War Reenactments, the Drake Field Airfest, the areas many Museums, the Pickin' in the Park events, and the list goes on.

Whether you see the changing of that as "progress" or not depends on your own personal taste and your view of the world.

My view of the world is that we can all live together in harmony with no regards to race, ethnicity or cultural roots. We just need to learn to accept each other unconditionally.

Now I know people feel strongly about this topic so I'll try to step in before we get too much of a heated debate going on over here. :D I can see both sides of this arguement. You don't want to lose some of the things that made this area unique. But you can't also say you have to cut off growth to do it. I really think a middle way would be the best way to do it. But yes things are going to change here for better or worse. For a very long time this area seemed almost off in it's own little world. A few people moved in particularly to go to school in Fayetteville. Then they usually left afterwards because there wasn't any jobs for them here. So overall this area has been left to it's own devices for quite a while. But now that's changing, rather dramatically. I can understand peopel being worried because suddenly you're having a lot of out of state people move in that obviously aren't going to have the same culture. I guess the biggest issue about it was just how many are coming in compared to what the population was years ago before this started. I can understand the worries of so many people coming in and overwhelming the local culture. But it looks like change is coming. There will be some positive and negative aspects to it. I think we just have to work and try to make the positive aspects be the most dominant.

Now I know people feel strongly about this topic so I'll try to step in before we get too much of a heated debate going on over here. :D I can see both sides of this arguement. You don't want to lose some of the things that made this area unique. But you can't also say you have to cut off growth to do it. I really think a middle way would be the best way to do it. But yes things are going to change here for better or worse. For a very long time this area seemed almost off in it's own little world. A few people moved in particularly to go to school in Fayetteville. Then they usually left afterwards because there wasn't any jobs for them here. So overall this area has been left to it's own devices for quite a while. But now that's changing, rather dramatically. I can understand peopel being worried because suddenly you're having a lot of out of state people move in that obviously aren't going to have the same culture. I guess the biggest issue about it was just how many are coming in compared to what the population was years ago before this started. I can understand the worries of so many people coming in and overwhelming the local culture. But it looks like change is coming. There will be some positive and negative aspects to it. I think we just have to work and try to make the positive aspects be the most dominant.

I agree Mith. The bottome line is we all need to accept the changes that are happening and if any of those changes pose a serious threat to people here having a decent way of life then we should all raise our voices to those people that are making the changes.

I did not once equate "predominantly white" with "culturally better".

I have, however, observed that those with a liberal guilt complex who enjoy lecturing others about racism tend to themselves live primarily in predominantly white enclaves such as Boulder, Berkeley, Madison and NWA. There's a comfort level with pontification and self righteousness that comes only from an insular environment like those listed, but I digress.

I simply responded to what I interpreted as the allegation that NWA had "no culture" by describing the prevailing culture prior to growth. Isn't that what this thread is about?

Growth and its results?

Japan has McDonald's? Great. Does it have a large Irish community? Having an American restaurant does not make a nation multicultural anymore than my mother being a fan of jazz make my family multi-racial. Your examples, for lack of a more fitting word, suck. You're stuck on what you percieve as white racism all around you, yet, like I noted above, people like you tend to be drawn to very white communities. Search deep inside and see if you can figure that out.

A need to categorize people as racist aside, what I have gathered from masons dad's posts is that he thinks an "urbanized" "culture" wherein everything national or branded is superior to anything local or homegrown and ultimately a sign of "progress".

If that is how you truly feel, may I suggest you move to Plano, Texas.

Here we have all the brands and chains, zero local flavor and a McDonald's and Starbucks on every corner.

That's what I gather is your vision of "urban, baby".

I did not once equate "predominantly white" with "culturally better".

I have, however, observed that those with a liberal guilt complex who enjoy lecturing others about racism tend to themselves live primarily in predominantly white enclaves such as Boulder, Berkeley, Madison and NWA. There's a comfort level with pontification and self righteousness that comes only from an insular environment like those listed, but I digress.

I simply responded to what I interpreted as the allegation that NWA had "no culture" by describing the prevailing culture prior to growth. Isn't that what this thread is about?

Growth and its results?

Japan has McDonald's? Great. Does it have a large Irish community? Having an American restaurant does not make a nation multicultural anymore than my mother being a fan of jazz make my family multi-racial. Your examples, for lack of a more fitting word, suck. You're stuck on what you percieve as white racism all around you, yet, like I noted above, people like you tend to be drawn to very white communities. Search deep inside and see if you can figure that out.

A need to categorize people as racist aside, what I have gathered from masons dad's posts is that he thinks an "urbanized" "culture" wherein everything national or branded is superior to anything local or homegrown and ultimately a sign of "progress".

If that is how you truly feel, may I suggest you move to Plano, Texas.

Here we have all the brands and chains, zero local flavor and a McDonald's and Starbucks on every corner.

That's what I gather is your vision of "urban, baby".

Friend... you have issues. May you find solice... just find it somewhere else. I'm not going to be your shrink.

It's a shame that "worldly" people that have been "everywhere" come here to criticize NWA. Change is a fact of life. Some change is for the better and some change is for the worse. But, we as a community need to accept those changes and enjoy the quality of life that we are afforded. I personally have not been been "everywhere" but I have lived in cities ranging from the largest to the smallest. I live in NWA and I can say that with all it's troubles with growth this is still the best place in the world to live.

My resume of cities I've lived in include:

• New York City - Birthplace and early childhood

• St. Petersburg, Florida - Childhood through High School

• Dallas, Texas - 10 years

• Thousand Oaks, California (about 30 miles west of Los Angeles) - 3 years

• Huntington, West Virginia - 3 years

• Northwest Arkansas (lived in both Springdale and now Rogers) - 7 years

In all my travels I have visited vast metropolis's and seen first-hand what lies in those urban sprawls. I have visited the smallest towns that barely appear on a map and have seen some of the rarest and most unique cultures in America and how they are becoming extinct.

Northwest Arkansas may not be a thriving metropolis with all it's gleaming skyscrapers and zippy transportation options but there are many dark alleys in those big cities that with any luck NWA will try to avoid. Northwest Arkansas definitely isn't a small town on the verge of extinction but still manages to hold onto many of those small town charms that have been lost to memory for many.

It's a shame that "worldly" people that have been "everywhere" come here to criticize NWA. Change is a fact of life. Some change is for the better and some change is for the worse. But, we as a community need to accept those changes and enjoy the quality of life that we are afforded. I personally have not been been "everywhere" but I have lived in cities ranging from the largest to the smallest. I live in NWA and I can say that with all it's troubles with growth this is still the best place in the world to live.

My resume of cities I've lived in include:

• New York City - Birthplace and early childhood

• St. Petersburg, Florida - Childhood through High School

• Dallas, Texas - 10 years

• Thousand Oaks, California (about 30 miles west of Los Angeles) - 3 years

• Huntington, West Virginia - 3 years

• Northwest Arkansas (lived in both Springdale and now Rogers) - 7 years

In all my travels I have visited vast metropolis's and seen first-hand what lies in those urban sprawls. I have visited the smallest towns that barely appear on a map and have seen some of the rarest and most unique cultures in America and how they are becoming extinct.

Northwest Arkansas may not be a thriving metropolis with all it's gleaming skyscrapers and zippy transportation options but there are many dark alleys in those big cities that with any luck NWA will try to avoid. Northwest Arkansas definitely isn't a small town on the verge of extinction but still manages to hold onto many of those small town charms that have been lost to memory for many.

It is a shame. You seem to be very unhappy with the culture (or lack thereof) in NWA in your earlier posts. You have been most critical of NWA and its small town culture( which you consider "racist", "white", "exclusive in a most unsavory way", etc).

I hope for your sake your illogical thought patterns and neuroticism is only message-board specific. If you are actually this way in real life, I imagine you have quite a few prescriptions in your medicine cabinet.

Here, in this post, you deride urban sprawl and urban decay, yet you support the replacement of local business with national business in other posts, and you advocate "allowing the ghettos to form where they may" in another topic about low income apartments. I'm so glad that you aren't actually involved in any urban planning issues affecting NWA or any other place for that matter. I, for one, am actively involved in a number of NWA projects currently and I don't even live there.

You contribute very little in meaningful information or analysis to this forum and have much difficulty expressing the disjointed opinions you do have.

Here's a suggestion: read more, post less. :thumbsup:

This is exactly why I decided to leave the board and no longer post. I got tired of a select few people thinking they know everything and the endless arguments about nothing. It looks like we have a few new members who really think they know everything and are more argumentative than any I've seen. I just had to weigh in on this when I saw it. For the most part, posting on this board is a waste of time due to everybody just arguing over the same topics day after day. Everybody needs to read more and post less. Just state facts and be done...in other words, Get a life.

If I've posted anything that offended anyone I apologize. Although I haven't seen much arguing going on I did slip and try to force my opinions on DickSontreetDFW and Aporkalypse and even tim2462. I personally apologize to each of you.

It's not worth arguing or even criticizing (guilty) anyone's posts. None of us know everything but there is a lot to learn from this forum. We may not all agree on everything but there's many things that we do agree on. We all do share one thing in common (I hope)... we all live in or have interest in NWA.

If I hear one more bicker or arguing on this topic, I will personally shut it down and never open it again!!

We need to all get along and stick to the facts. I don't mind if you voice your opinion on a topic either, as long as others are willing to respect that opinion. This is an adult oriented forum and some of you can't get along, than please go somewhere else.

I'm ready to start on a new slate.

If I hear one more bicker or arguing on this topic, I will personally shut it down and never open it again!!

We need to all get along and stick to the facts. I don't mind if you voice your opinion on a topic either, as long as others are willing to respect that opinion. This is an adult oriented forum and some of you can't get along, than please go somewhere else.

I'm ready to start on a new slate.

The ignore feature can work wonders.

If you find someone intolerable and are confident you won't miss their contributions, send them to ignoreland. :thumbsup: That way, we can truly all get along!

--------------------------------------------------------Clean Slate------------------------------------------------------

I have a question... really more of a challenge. Does anyone have any idea how much money has been spent on developments in Northwest Arkansas? Could be any given time frame... say since the beginning of 2000?

There's an interesting article from the Morning News on the subject.

Top Ten Most Expensive Projects Worth $369.5 Million

Archived