Arkansas Picture Of The Day

NCB

I do remember that view. I visited Pinnacle Mtn when I had family there years ago. What was the mountain that was to the south I think that had all the radio and tv towers on it?

Shinall Mountain, it's now surrounded by half-million dollar homes and development from one end to the other. That name was "Francosized" into Chenal, which is where Chenal Parkway and Chenal Valley originated. They completed Chenal Pkwy around 1993 or so, which is when houses started going up around there. The new Robert Trent Jones course is in its shadow.

I've never been to Maumelle, but it sure does look beautiful.

It's always kind of confusing for those outside the area but Maumelle is an upscale planned community north of the Arkansas River West of NLR. Lake Maumelle and the Little Maumelle River are south of the Arkansas River just west of West LR. The two are actually well apart, separated by the River by several miles.

Johnny, you're right. I'm not sure where that pic was taken from but it's too low to be the summit. I think it might actually be the trail over by the lodge over past the arboretum.

Someone might have mentioned this before but where exactly is this Alotian Golf Course?

It's a private golf club built by the Stephens family in Western Pulaski Co in an area with rivers, mountains, and lakes. It's very exclusive and the majority of members are from out of state. Initial membership fee is supposed to be something like $150k.

Golf Digest named it the best new private course in the nation for 2005. It's easily the best course in Arkansas now, but I'll never get to play it.

If you didn't know Stephens is a big name in golf circles, jack Stephens was chairman of Augusta National for many years.

It's a private golf club built by the Stephens family in Western Pulaski Co in an area with rivers, mountains, and lakes. It's very exclusive and the majority of members are from out of state. Initial membership fee is supposed to be something like $150k.

Golf Digest named it the best new private course in the nation for 2005. It's easily the best course in Arkansas now, but I'll never get to play it.

If you didn't know Stephens is a big name in golf circles, jack Stephens was chairman of Augusta National for many years.

For some odd reason I thought I had heard it was somewhere in the Ozarks. But when I saw the mountains in the background I didn't think that looked like the Ozarks to me. Guess I didn't realize it was in Pulaski County.

Hearing about all the race riots going on down in Australia I wanted to have this as pic of the day. The Masjid Hamzah islamic Center here in Fayetteville. Hopefully we will realize the advantages of ethnic, cultural and religious diversity here in our state too.

That center was directly funded by the Saudi royal family. Here's an eye-opening article regarding the intentions of the Saudis.

This part is of particular interest to us:

"In just three decades, the Saudi royal family has donated over US $70 billion to indoctrinate worldwide institutions against the West and Israel. American academics naturally deny the funds have strings attached, yet it seems reasonable to ask, as Kaplan does, why a theocratic regime with 30% to 50% of its population illiterate, would take more interest in the US educational system than in its own.

Saudi gifts to American institutions are mind-boggling. King Fahd donated US $20 million to establish the Middle East Studies Center at the University of Arkansas. Two Saudi financiers of Al Qaeda gave US $5 million to UC Berkeley's Center For Middle East Studies. Then, Harvard got US $2.5 million; Georgetown US $8.1 million, including a $500,000 scholarship in the name of President Bush; Cornell US $11 million; MIT US $5 million; Texas A&M US $1.5 million and Princeton US $1 million. Rutgers received US $5 million to endow a chair, as did Columbia. Several other universities also received Saudi largesse."

Regarding your last statement, how can you be intellectually honest and say that you want "religious diversity?" By virtue of accepting one religion, a person holds the others to be false.

That center was directly funded by the Saudi royal family. Here's an eye-opening article regarding the intentions of the Saudis.

This part is of particular interest to us:

"In just three decades, the Saudi royal family has donated over US $70 billion to indoctrinate worldwide institutions against the West and Israel. American academics naturally deny the funds have strings attached, yet it seems reasonable to ask, as Kaplan does, why a theocratic regime with 30% to 50% of its population illiterate, would take more interest in the US educational system than in its own.

Saudi gifts to American institutions are mind-boggling. King Fahd donated US $20 million to establish the Middle East Studies Center at the University of Arkansas. Two Saudi financiers of Al Qaeda gave US $5 million to UC Berkeley's Center For Middle East Studies. Then, Harvard got US $2.5 million; Georgetown US $8.1 million, including a $500,000 scholarship in the name of President Bush; Cornell US $11 million; MIT US $5 million; Texas A&M US $1.5 million and Princeton US $1 million. Rutgers received US $5 million to endow a chair, as did Columbia. Several other universities also received Saudi largesse."

Regarding your last statement, how can you be intellectually honest and say that you want "religious diversity?" By virtue of accepting one religion, a person holds the others to be false.

Not every religion adheres to forcing everyone to convert to your religion. I admit I was raised Lutheran which does believe in the evangelical aspect of converting people. I simply prefer to remain open minded to other's beliefs. Perhaps that makes me a bad religious person for not feeling the need to convert everyone. Although as I said there are religions that do not force their views on others, they did didn't originate around the Judeo-Christian-Muslim area. Buddhism doesn't force their views on anyone nor do they try to keep their members from looking into other religions.

On to your other comment, I can't say that there wasn't any strings attached to money for Middle Eastern studies. But I think you would have to admit that people in this country do not truely understand people in the Middle East. I truely believe there needs to be more done to understand that area of the world. The Middle East isn't going to simply go away because we don't understand them or don't get along with them.

I just don't have a problem with not everyone having my beliefs. I realize religion is a serious issue to most people. I guess the way I see it if I can't accept other people having different views then what's next. Should I go hate someone because they have different views on politics? Or how about getting petty and just not liking people because they don't like the music I like? I believe cultures are unique and special and should be appreciated. Although I'm sure many would not feel this way, I'd have absolutely no problems if we had a large Middle Eastern minority here.